Any closed-back headphones under $300 that are better than the DT770 pro?

I’m in the market for a closed-back headphone, but I’m also considering buying either the HD58X or the HD6XX alongside it depending on how much I spend on the closed-back I’m buying, and that brings me to my main question: Are there any closed-backs out there under $300 that are substantially better than the DT770 pro, enough so that it would justify buying them instead of a DT770 pro + either the HD58X or the HD6XX?

I’m completely new to this stuff, so I have no idea what I should expect. I don’t have any problems with the DT770 pro, I just find it strange that that’s the only recommendation I’ve ever got even though my budget is twice its price. I had the chance of trying it out a few months ago at a friend’s house, and the applied EQ wasn’t really to my liking so my test ended up being inconclusive (and I didn’t like the non-detachable cables either). I’ve never listened to an open-back headphone, so I can’t say I have much of a preference regarding that either.
I plan to buy a JDS atom+OL DAC combo in the upcoming weeks.

Regarding my taste in music:
-Here’s where it gets complicated. There are only two quality headphones I’ve ever listened to that might give you an idea of what I might like, and those are the Takstar pro 80 and the Takstar pro 82. I didn’t like the pro 80 out of the box at all, especially the highs, while I could see myself listening to the pro 82 without changing much via EQ.
-My time spent listening to music is split between several genres, in a ratio of 40% pop, 20% electronic, 20% film scores 10% rock and 10% metal. I prefer music with female vocalists, and I’m a sucker for music with overwhelming highs in them, but I can’t listen to them for longer periods of time if they are too sharp or shrill. I also really like my bass with a cup of tea that I spray all over the place as I headbang.

I’d also like to know which one you would recommend between the HD58X and HD6XX based on this.

The more recommendations you can give (also explaining why) the happier I am.

1 Like

What type of sound signature are you after for the closed? And also are you already decided on the senns for your open back (as there are other options)? Also what impedance 770 did you try and on what amp?

That’s a pretty solid combo

From what you listen to and enjoy I think you would prefer the 58x out of the two imo.

1 Like

I can’t tell because I haven’t tried enough headphones to be sure myself. There are close to 0 shops that would let you try their headphones where I live.

I forgot to mention that I also tried a friend’s Denon AH-D5200 and I really liked that too.

It was a random, below $100 amp+dac combo, and the 80ohm version. Don’t get me wrong, I would probably be happy with the 770, I’m just trying to be well informed before making a purchase. At the moment, based on all the countless discussions on the topic I’ve read, it seems like everything from that point onwards is a sidegrade, not an upgrade, I’d like to know if that’s true.

All I can say is that I’m willing to be more experimental with my open-back headphones, and I would like to get something relatively bassy, something that I’m more used to alas clearer for my closed-back just to be sure in case I realise open-backs aren’t for me.

I’m not dead set on them, they just seemed like the most reasonable option for getting something as my first (and preferably last) open-back.

1 Like

You might like Akg k371

1 Like

If you can find a used fostex x00 you might be pretty happy with it, it sounds up your alley for sure (but it’s not really portable and leaks a bit), it’s similar but more energetic and resolving compared to the denon

That’s not necessarily true, there is just somewhat a hole between 200-500 for closed backs compared to open backs. You could get the dt177x go which would be an upgrade imo (but that would be pushing your budget a bit). Some other options actually might be the 1more triple driver headphones for some v shaped fun but they are somewhat on ear. If you wanted something solid with a neural sound and slight subbass boost the k371 is a good pick

Typically most open backs aren’t as bassy as closed backs, but if you want a warmer thicker sound the 58x sounds like a great place to start for what you want imo.

They are very reasonable but I don’t know if they will be your last lol

2 Likes

I was thinking of that as well, but I don’t know if I would pick that over the 770 250 ohm based on sound imo (but other aspects might make more sense)

2 Likes

There’s hardly any good closed backs around $300 that aren’t fashion cans. Although I do like the sony mdr 1a

1 Like

Yeah, you either have to look used or stick lower near under 200 or higher closer to 400 and beyond

1 Like

Meze 99?

10 characters

Hmm, my main issue with the meze 99’s are that they are actually lacking on technicalities for the price imo, pretty fashion can but if you are looking for sloppy fun it’s pretty nice. I would kinda like the mdr 1am2 or others more

2 Likes

Yeah definitely a fashion can. 177x go it is i guess lol

1 Like

It’s solid enough on technicalities and relatively even sounding, it’s a solid pick for what @Hallibart_Aery is looking for imo (if it doesn’t go out of budget). If they wanted more fun, the x00 does sound more up their alley if they can find one, and on the cheaper side the triple driver headphones for fun

1 Like

X00 ebony is something im looking into getting soon. Would definitely be a more fun headphone than the 177x

2 Likes

I’m a little all over the place, forgive me for that.

I only use headphones in front of my computer, I need the closed-back only for night-time listening.

I’ve never heard about any of the ones you guys mentioned, I’ll make sure to check them out, I really like the idea of an used pricier headphone like the fostex too, are there any others like that?

That clears up a lot.

How’s the 177x different from the 770?

1 Like

From what I’ve read before, the 177x is slightly more neutral

The 177x is a fair bit more detailed and capable with better imaging and soundstage, also it’s less v shaped and more balanced in sound

Ah, the x00 might make alot of sense then. If you wanted a warmer neutral alternative, the ndh20 might be in reach but it’s also not the most comfy. You might be able to find a beyerdynamic t5p 2nd gen (aka mk2) in your price range. The t60rp might be up your alley (I would say argons but imo I don’t know if they would match your preferences as well)

2 Likes

The x00 really looks like a great fit, I’m just not sure if I could get used to it, the Denon I tried wasn’t particularly comfortable.

1 Like

TBH the fit on the x00 isn’t great either. You can swap pads but it affects the sound a fair bit. I personally think it’s meh comfort but some don’t like it

2 Likes

Any idea when the x00 might be back to massdrop? I might even stretch my budget for a pair.

Unfortunately they have been discontinued and will no longer be on drop. You can look for when drop does the emu teak as those are the closest to the x00 ebony (and some say better than the ebony). Perhaps also look for a used d7200

if you want to buy direct you can here: https://www.emu.com/order.html
but if you wait for the non detachable cable drop versions they are cheaper but I don’t know when they will run again since they just ended

2 Likes