Any closed-back headphones under $300 that are better than the DT770 pro?

you can also look for the X00 on the used market. though I’d wait a bit so you don’t buy from someone trying to profit from the vacuum created by them being discontinued and people rushing to ‘get’ one before it’s too late.

3 Likes

It seems like all the secondhand x00’s are only shipped to either the US or the UK, so it’s very unlikely that I’ll get my hand on one here in the EU any time soon.
I decided to read up about the Emu Teak, and it looks great, but the sound demo Zeos put out sounds very hollow to me in comparison to the x00. Would you say that video is an accurate representation of its sound signature? I know these demos are supposed to be taken with a grain of salt, but solely based on the demo I don’t think I would ever buy the Emu Teak, even though I could immediately tell that I’d absolutely love the x00.

hey Hallibart, if you’re open to using someone in the US as a fowarding service, I’m sure it could be arranged to send you one if you find one to buy. :slight_smile:

I do this all the time with a buddy of mine in Florida when there’s something that can’t be shipped to Canada or the freight is crazy high (looking at you Schiit Audio!) and ridonkulous.

1 Like

The sound demos are essentially useless imo, way to many factors at play. I think I would instead look to your experience with the denons, and if you liked that, imo the emu teak is an upgrade to the 5200

2 Likes

How does the th-x00 Mahogany compare to the denon, then?

Btw thank you guys for all the help, I’ll definitely get back to you when I finally get a pair.

Maybe you could hunt down a pair if AQ Nighthawks somewhere? I know they just recently sold out in several places but it might be something to put on your radar.

I’m just waiting for my refund on Amazon, but I plan on testing these out once I get it back…

1 Like

They are interesting to say the least lol, hopefully you get one with a tighter headband. I’ve got the sonorous VI and they are different lol (and heard the rest of the range, which get much more expensive lol, and not worth past the 6 imo)

2 Likes

Also considering the iBasso, but it’s $100 over your budget.

2 Likes

Ah I’ve got one of those too lol, they are pretty nice, you can find them used for less

1 Like

Maybe I’ll wear a thick wool beanie when I test it out. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The cups just decide to randomly slide up and down and the headband can become lopsided, not massive issue but knowing it’s not even is a bit jarring to me lol, there isn’t a whole lot of resistance on the headband sliders on the cups

1 Like

Welps, the idea is to test drive them on Amazon and return. If I like it, find them used on eBay. 80% of my headphones were purchased used or open box.

2 Likes

Yeah I rarely buy new, much better deals to be had used especially in the higher end (but stuff that goes under 150-200 new is a bit more risky buy used imo)

2 Likes

I was just looking at these as well… curious to hear your thoughts

@M0N is the headband thing a qc issue or are they all that way?

2 Likes

It’s more a design oversight with most if not all of their headphones

2 Likes

Hi guys, again.

I’ve done some extra research and I’ve been closely following a few auctions and this question has become even more relevant for me since then as I realised importing a used pair of th-x00 would cost me the exact same price as a new pair of Denon ah-d5200 would. This lead to two things, for one, I gave up sticking to the $300 budget, and decided to stretch it to roughly $450, and now I’m also somewhat taking the Denon into consideration. However, even though I said I liked them, the idea of buying them never crossed my mind, and honestly, I would still prefer avoiding that because I found them to be somewhat dull, they didn’t sound magical, not for the price, anyway. I don’t know if this could have been affected by the amp I used, it was the fiio k3. But this is why the th-x00 caught my attention, maybe that difference in sound signature could be exactly what I’m looking for. Anyway, you mentioned that the e-mu teak is an upgrade to the denon, how does the mahogany compare, then?

1 Like

Yes, the k3 is very light on power, it most likely would have been more dull and light on impact

Gotcha, makes sense

It’s also an upgrade to the mahogany as well, but the mahogany is more v shaped than the teak. The mahogany would most likely have a bit more fun sound with a bit more elevated treble and bass response compared to the more neutral teak, but imo if you can get the teak that would be my pick, it’s just as fun imo. Just make sure you get a powerful amp to go with them if you want great slam and an impressive sound (a magni heresy is pretty sweet for the price)

2 Likes

Sorry, it seems like I didn’t make myself clear enough. I’m wondering if buying the mahogany instead of the denon would be an outright bad choice just because the denon uses a newer driver. I know things are never this clear-cut in this hobby, but putting sound signature aside, is there a noticeable quality difference between the two? The emu teak might be out of my reach for now, I haven’t seen that many used pairs so far, and the ones I did were put up for horrendous prices.

Do you think the atom would be enough? I love the aesthetics of it much more than the magni’s.

1 Like

It would be just fine, I just think the extra power of the magni is helpful. Going to guess a liquid spark is out of the question then too?

Ah my bad. I think the mahogany would be the more fun pick and not really a bad choice whatsoever. I think if you want to aim for something more refined with better build quality, go for the denon. If you wanted something a bit more fun tuned the mahogany. There really isn’t a massive difference between them or anything imo

2 Likes