Any closed-back headphones under $300 that are better than the DT770 pro?

If I had to pick, I’d still pick the magni over the liquid spark though! :smiley:
It seems like I’ve got a hard choice to make, wow. I had my eyes on the atom for almost half a year now, so it’s hard to let go of that.

1 Like

Gotcha, I get you lol. The atom is still a great choice if it really calls to you lol. The magni heresy and atom are so close in sound, the heresy just has more oomph with headphones that can take advantage

1 Like

And these clearly fall into that category, then?

I can’t tell you how much you guys’ve helped me, lol, I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Somewhat yes. The biodynas can be driven off of almost anything, but they do take well to more power for increased impact and capability

3 Likes
1 Like

I had the denons for a while, and then (after months of searching and waiting) I got my TR-X00 Purplehearts with ZMF Eikon pads. Really knocked the denon out of the park, sound and comfort wise.

1 Like

That’s good to know!
Which version of the ZMF Eikon do you use?

The perforated lambskins. They are exquisite.

1 Like

Would Argon MkIII be out of the equation as a semi closed back? I remember reading somewhere you can request on order that they close them up even more

1 Like

Argon tend to get overhyped, I think the Mahogany would be a better choice here and just a better headphone in general.

1 Like

I did consider it at one point, but the 12-week lead time scared me away anyway.

1 Like

Mahogany used, but what about for brand new under $300? I doubt Argon competes with anything much higher priced but in that bracket seems like the clear winner for closed back brand new. Maybe I’m forgetting something. DT 177x is darn close to $300 so seems like a better rec to save more and go above that budget.

1 Like

Depends on what you want.
I think the Nighthawk Carbon are a better deal under $300 if you can find them since they aren’t being made anymore. They have a lot more going for them then Argon imo. My favorite pair of headphones I have ever tried and own.
DT177x Go is a great option, it would retain that Beyerdynamic house sound a fair bit while being slightly more balanced and neutral than the 770 and more detailed as well. Plus it is much easier to drive.

1 Like

Jordan_Everett

How do they sound with the 3d printed cover ?

1 Like

Just a quick update.

I found an awesome deal on a mahogany near me, it arrived this morning, but I still only have a Syba Sonic to drive them, which is quite underwhelming, but I’m expecting great things from the atom, I’ll probably order one this week. :smiley:

I really like the sound signature although it’s a little bit harsh in the highs for me. I might be on the very sensitive side since I haven’t read about anyone else complaining about it, but it’s certainly nothing a little bit of EQ can’t solve. I mentioned how I don’t have any experience with quality headphones, now the bass in this is something I’ve never heard before, it’s so punchy and energetic while being extremely tame and detailed, I have a hard time keeping myself from laughing when I hear it, lol!
I also ordered an AHG sheepskin pad, the one that resembles the ZMF Ori pad, but I find that I’m absolutely fine with the stock pads, and I read that most of the pads increase the highs, so I probably wasted some money with that, but whatever :smiley:

Could the Lawton tuneup help with the highs? I heard a lot of good about it, and also that it is clearly an improvement regardless of taste, but I don’t know how much of a difference I should expect. Is it just barely noticeable, or basically a musthave for everyone?

What would you guys recommend for cleaning? I read on Dekoni’s site that they don’t recommend their cleaning products that contain alcohol for leather and synthetic leather, but I don’t think there’s anything else around the house. It wouldn’t feel right leaving it as it is amid a global health crisis, considering that I bought it used.

Although I ended up going way above my original budget I hope the recommendations here can help someone in the future. Like I mentioned, there isn’t a lot of info about this specific price range. I, for one, will probably spend some time looking for different cups and giving the Lawton mod a try in the future (distant future prehaps), so I’ll be moving over to the fostex threads soon from here.

4 Likes

Grats those are great cans. you might want to try having them moded by Lawtone Mods. for 89$ they might be able to tame those highes and generally improve the sound.

https://www.lawtonaudio.com/diymodkits.html

Hey!

I was just about to bring that up. Could you say something about it to somehow explain the magnitude of the difference it can make? It’s very hard to grasp that without giving it a listen in person lol

Edit: I’ve read the whole thread about the discontinuing of the line, so I read your discussion about the Lawton mod too, but I’m still not sure what it exactly changes and how.

I haven’t done it myself. but when i was reading the site and saw it said something about taming the treble. i have the Ebonies and the treble bugs me sometimes. so i’ll probably send them in for the basic mod

I read the guide on Lawton’s site and it seems super easy, I would never be able to wait for shipping my main headphones back and forth :smiley: So I guess it’s gonna be the DIY kit for me.

nice. yeah i was thinking of doing that myself. but i dont trust myself to not mess it all up lol. tell me how it goes