Apparently people want 8K TVs

I mean, this is worse than “Hi-Res” audio. 8K is 7680x4320 pixels.

https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

Do you really want 8K? Well, if you want 8K at 10ft, it means you want a 25ft 8K screen. If you want 8K at 20ft, it means you want a 50ft 8K screen. If you can pay for this, then why not. But smaller sizes than that are useless. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Well also content cant catch up to this tech
A lot of concessions are needed to make a 4k movie fit on a disk and bandwidth and internet infrastructure in the us makes 8k impossible to stream effectively

2 Likes

no they don’t…they’re being told that they want 8K displays. which is pure malarky…bigger is not better as almost everything has just reached FHD streaming. there’s next to nothing for 4K content and nothing for 8K content. they’re just preying on the ‘bigger is better’ mentality…

3 Likes

Yep.
What people should really be focusing on is color accuracy and image quality as opposed to number resolution

8 Likes

When you cover a skyscraper in LEDs, that is very low pixels per inch (dpi), the overall resolution is huge.

When you strap two screens to your head, you need extreme DPI to not have a “screen door”-effect.

So, 8k…

• Transmission Protocolls are not there yet (HDMI 2.1 can do 30FPS, DP 2.0 can do 60)
  • There are two camera sensors that can produce moving images for it
  • GPUs are nowhere near the performance to push this
  • cramming 100GB on a bluray to get a 110minute movie to the owners of 4k was a chore (good luck finding the internet to stream an 8k movie)

Why?

2 Likes

The whole video is problems, but 13:17 has some of the meat of it:

4K will gain some good strength when there’s content…but when 4K projectors become affordable and screens with good gain are also available, I think it will really take off as to benefit from the higher resolution you need a BIG diagonal.

I’ll be getting a nice FHD Optomao HD27e later this month…just trying to find a good screen in the 90 - 100" size.

I got a friend that works at bestbuy and he says 8k is very popular with dumb rich people. The type that can drop god knows how much on a dime and not think about it

2 Likes

4k is the upper limit of resolution you need at home.
HDR is a bigger improvement than stepping to 8k

5 Likes

Fun fact: Even 1080p content on TV is probably not even 1080p. My parents got a 4K receiver for their 1080p screen (came with a bundle, it was cheaper, so whatever). But last week I realized… the difference between 1080p content and 4K content on the 1080p screen, here, is night and day. We got some channels “times 2” (one 1080p and one 4K) so I could compare. 1080p is a compressed, blurry mess. The 4K channel had like 5 seconds of lag compared to the 1080p. And that’s the time it took me to compare and say “wow, that’s what 1080p really looks like on this TV”.

So, maybe I live in a lost town in Canada, but the truth is, most people don’t even have 1080p right now. Cable companies are sending 1080p at 480p rates and 4K at 1080p bandwidth rates.

I’d say the same for audio. Something like 0hz-to-20khz harman curve, detail, soundstage accuracy etc etc… We need something like “studio audio” certification instead of “hi-res audio” stickers.

Please no don’t give engineers something more to argue about lol. It would also be a mess, and then it would just be a rush for companies to come out with their own certification. It would just end up not meaning anything

3 Likes

Lol, ok, not “studio audio”, but another name… Anyway, fuck, I think it’s scientifically impossible to do worse than Hi-Res audio stickers. :confused:

Edit: “Hi-Res audio wireless” is useful, though, because it means LDAC, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Well what if it was owned by an audio manufacturer, so the only people who got hi res stickers were that manufactures product lol?

1 Like

Don’t give them ideas! :stuck_out_tongue:
Also huh, “MQA” is owned by Sony I believe? Lol.

That has already happened multiple times in the past lol, we just can’t give them another excuse for that idea

And getting realistic contrast, like if Dolby Vision is ever fully implemented, including the display part of the spec (there’s Dolby Vision content and playback support already, but no actual Dolby Vision screens, as those would require ridiculous amounts of power and cooling).

The only reason I even got a 4K 40-incher was that I knew I wanted huge FOV coverage and that I would sit one screen width away from it (1 metre) to achieve that. At that distance, getting some screen door effect on a 1080p was going to be a possibility, so I went for the smaller pixels, even though I had zero plans to go around looking for actual 4K content (and I didn’t; just started stumbling on some of it once it started popping up on YouTube but that’s it). The way most people have their TV set up across the room from their couch, they don’t even need 4K, let alone 8K, I don’t care how big a TV they got.

And it’s about the same with smartphone screens these days - just sucking our batteries and wallets dry for no goddamn reason, putting ridiculous resolution screens on phones (unless we’re talking VR head-mount usage, but that’s rare).

1 Like

Yeah lol, 1080p is retina at 9 inches for a 6 inch phone screen.
If you say you need 4K and don’t do VR… the same site says retina @ 5 inches… please wear sunglasses while using your phone or something.

4K smartphone users be like :stuck_out_tongue:

Luckily there are measurable color standards and ranges you can hire professional calibraters to set your tv to

1 Like

You want the closest to full implementation of hdr you need to look at flagship sony and Panasonic oleds that are used as or set to match their professional color grading displays