Apparently people want 8K TVs

There’s a standard (a few standards) for this actually? Pantone or something else?
(For users, not necessarily professionals).

If it doesn’t reach 10 - 20.000 nits it’s still not full-spec Dolby Vision, sorry. Their perception scientist Poppy Crum said a 20knits test screen showing a video of fire would trick the viewer’s brain into thinking it was also feeling the heat, so it would send more blood flow to the face for better cooling. No such thing is on the mass market yet (though Panasonic did work with Dolby to set up a 10knits demo screen at some tech show a couple of years back).

Oh man lol, videophile problems!

When you get up from the couch after the movie and you have burn and explosion wounds to bandage. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes
1 Like

ya… sure…

Yes for users there are 2 standards that tweak the tvs dcip3 color space
One is a thx standard. You get those on the Panasonic’s I mentioned
And the other I cant remember the name of but geek squad calibraters are trained in it

Still re: 1080p and 4K.
Think of it this way: if IMAX thought it was a good idea to put their brand on a lesser spec (not the one with the 30-metre tall screen), since named “LieMAX” by its loving fans, which projects a - wait for it - 2K digital image, maybe they knew some hard truths. (Sure, in the theater I went to you could see pixelation from all of the first 7 rows or so, but their math was close enough.)

2K is a width of 2000 pixels.
1080p has 1920. :laughing:

At 20000 nits any light that emits would have massive infrared output as well
And frankly that seems like a theoretical conceptual range than anything useful to a user or content creator.
There is no camera that can capture that range.
There is no film stock
there is no DLP projector in circulation that get to 20000 nits save maybe some cutting edge test rooms in a Dolby office somewhere. 80 percent of Digital theatre projectors are still 2k.
no DP wants that either, they would rather have a wide dynamic range with smooth roll off than sheer highlight capture
This is a problem a lot of filmmakers have with HDR because its an external standard often forced on their work without their approval or input (save a few filmmakers here and there), purely for the sake of selling a sales pitch to the “more MORE MORE” crowd who care more about numbers on a page than how they are implemented.

It’s a full spec for the whole chain from production to reproduction, so they’ve thought of what would be needed at every step in order to achieve the end-result. It just doesn’t exist technologically yet.

And yes, capitalist businesspeople will shove stupid things down artists’ throats in order to maximize profits, that happens with all marketable technologies, not just Dolby Vision or HDR. That’s a capitalism problem, not a tech problem.

1 Like

i mean people are only now getting used to 4K and unless you have a a cinema level TV you wont have any noticeable effect… 4K is getting more appealing now because of it finally hitting the mid range and even budget (thank you china). but there are clearly problems with streaming (comcast aint gonna like this), gaming (even more expensive costs for games and retro games even more laggy on an LCD TV), and who knows what else…

1 Like

Lol yes, my friend has a 2080ti and almost always plays in 1080p, maybe 2K, but 4K games? FPS goes lower than 30…!

I think what is going to happen is seen by PS by now.
They started PS NOW service. You pay monthly to play different games, don’t have to pay big for game when you can pay small with many. Micropay’s will remain with in the games if you want extra.
Probably the current Store service will change or go down.

Consoles will move to 4K in the next generation, 1 year time or so. They will be bigger since need bigger graphics cards, maybe external power bricks will be more a thing, saves space and helps cooling.
PS 5 will probably be 4K and this will help more with home movie and current home 4K TV’s and what you watch.
It has still taken many years to get even this far… and still it is not very far. Local TV stations are barely sending HD so overall progress is slow.

Still streaming and network speeds is short of issues in different country’s and locations even in one that has fast connections available.

this is already basically confirmed because at the CES thing for the PS5 they DID mention it was going to have an ultra HD bluray player

also i am certain that playstation now will be a big thing for sony in the 2020s… that rumored “every single generation backwards compatibility” will probably just mean that PS4 games COULD be backwards compatible, and PS3, PS2, and who knows maybe even PS1 (if they dont just sell them directly) will be streamed on PS now

1 Like

unless they are playing at 4K max settings RTX on everything it seems hard to believe that a 2080TI will have <30FPS in 4K

what games were they playing, maybe there is a bottleneck in the CPU

I’m more of a fact’s only kinda man. Unless it ain’t real, it aint.
Until we actually have 4K PS 5 console, then we have it. :slight_smile:
But i did watch CES and was happy, can it be ordered already? :smiley:

But you right, it will a very big thing for Sony. Hopefully things wont… suck. Like they kinda do when hasting.

Mostly first-person shooters, online.
And yes, he probably just tried 4K + full details.

no confirmations of the explicit stuff OF the PS5 price or look or anything,

they did have a painted wall stating that there would be real time raytracing, a fast SSD, 3D sound, haptic feedback/adaptive triggers, and a UHD bluray player

source: https://www.cnet.com/news/ps5-instead-of-unveiling-new-playstation-5-console-sony-showed-us-this-logo/

heh.
Like i typed. I did watch the show and i’m following news about the subject. :wink:
But the Price is interesting. How low they can make it and what will be the starting price.
Will buy it anyways when it comes. Maybe not in the first wave but in few months after release.

Back to subject 8K is just bonk…
Think some news mentioned Japan had like 16K TV’s… probably even more now days but… but why…

According to HipHopGamer, Sony is working on a “Remastering Engine” for the PS5, which will allow PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 titles to run on the console with various enhancements. (…) In other words, the PS5 won’t just run these older games, but add to them with things like 4K support.

Holy shit :open_mouth: I would love this.