Apparently people want 8K TVs

yeah this sounds a lot like emulation

i dunno if you will need the discs or not but im excited

1 Like

My Gran Turismo 2 disk, in 4K with ray tracing? :sunglasses: heh

1 Like

tbh i never grew up with the PS2… but tbh this might stop me from building my bro an emulation PC for consoles like the gamecube (we already have a wii to do that) and PS2

If there would be a Hype train for PS 5. At some point or might be now?

I have been waiting to buy a ticket to that… on the not existing hype train station that has not been build yet for the actual hype train.
Since the PS 4 Pro did not have 4K in 2016. From that moment forward i have been posting and writing “PS 5 will have true 4K”.
CES now after like 3 years gave the first light to my writings.
So i’m in the early early early early bird thingy on this one.

1 Like

Oh yeah, consoles are also a thing for some people. :slight_smile: But the fact remains that if you have 20/20 vision and you’re not sitting 1 screen width away or closer to the TV while gaming, you don’t need 4K, you won’t be seeing the benefits.

The caveat with this (and with the above “retina” calculator) is that not everyone is limited at 20/20, some are born with better visual acuity than others. But typically nowadays, after decades spent in school focusing our eyes up close on books and notebooks, even those born with better acuity probably degrade it back toward the medically-sufficient 20/20. (For comparison, what is considered medically-sufficient in hearing is to have normal sensitivity up to 8 kHz. So these standards are only meant to ensure you can function in society, not that you’re un-damaged vs. your 10-yo or 20-yo self.)

3 Likes

Of course my vision is 2020, 2019 was 10 days ago #DadJoke

Also 4K upsampling is way more apparent in pixelated games than… non-pixelated reality 1080p videos, that’s why I think it could be fun.

Not so sure about hat. Maybe 1440p upscaled to 4k and raytracing in some form.

The PS5 is meant to come out in Q3 2020, will be interesting.

External powerbricks top out at 180W, which is why the biggest gaming notebooks take two of them. Keeping the PSU in the console is easier for the home user.

2 Likes

Heh.
First line was “I think what is going”. So just a thought what might happen. We will see. :slight_smile:
Well there are bigger external power bricks, have seen few at 500W. Not for PS usage of course, does not make them not being there. They very real.
Not needing space science level of tech to nicely box something that is needed. What ever is needed to run the thingy.

As for the not really 1080p stuff. You’re technically right streaming and broadcast compression ruins good hd. It’s why I advocate for disk over stream any time

1 Like

Yeah, compression, bandwidth and all… 4K is good for 1080p TVs, 8K content is good for 4K TVs… 8K TVs are bad for now – wait for 12K content. :stuck_out_tongue:

(or at least 8K disks or whatever, obviously).
Hah, “2025: Get ready for 8K cassettes!” :thinking:

1 Like

Cartridges maybe? Will be something flash-storage based for data rate reasons.

1 Like

I believe the next generation of hard media should be basically 500g- 1 tb SD cards that are write locked with proprietary disk images built in.
but the technology has to get cheap enough to support it.

1 Like

Giving complete physical access to the encrypted medium is one of the worst things you could do if you want security. Nobody is going in that direction, they all want us to buy into “cloud” shit and streaming, so they can be the only ones actually storing the data under their complete control, and so they can cut us off any time they want. You have to keep your product scarce/hard to access if you want people to pay you to get it. :smiling_imp:

Yep and there are underground archivist movements using piracy to make hard media copies of streaming dedicated media for storage in the event these services all fail.

1 Like

Doesn’t that cost a ludicrous amount tho? Seems way overpriced, considering you can do it yourself, by eye, and get pretty frickin’ impressive results, as long as your TV gives you sufficient control in its menus. I did my Samsung using the 10-point calibration, while displaying a 20-band white-grey-black transition image and it’s better than the cinema and better than anybody else’s TV that I’ve seen. I wouldn’t give a professional 3 months of my paycheck just to make it 3% better. That kind of service is probably for companies working with graphics and video.

Its dependant on the subculture you’re part of. Like with Audiophiles spending a shitload on cables and stuff, AV nerds are willing to spend a tremendous amount on calibration for the THX standard for color grading.
The other like HDTV consortium standard you can get from services like geek squad are like 200 dollars
I’ve worked with broadcast monitors so I know how to calibrate my own tv, and probably why I’m still using a plasma from 2007.
I might upgrade to an OLED some time in the future.

Well… I’ll just say, I’m here sitting roughly 2 feet away from my 55" 4k tv, which I use as a computer monitor. I’m not sure I have a need for 8k. But putting actual content aside… I always manage to find usage for more screen real-estate, including pixels when I’m working at my desktop.

1 Like

yeah, you dont need it. At regular TV viewing range you cant even really tell the difference between 1080 and 4K beyond general Image clarity

Not for text and UI… that’s only for like watching a movie or TV, man. For working, having more pixels is always useful. If I sat here and changed my desktop res to only 1080p… suddenly I’ve got way less space to work in… and windows and UI gets way harder to read at smaller sizes and it makes it harder to work.

Except you get smaller size UI elements precisely when you increase the resolution, which is another problem I have with it. I’m still not used to how damn small some fonts are on this 1080p phone, and I miss my old 720p, which I thought was optimal for a phone. At work I have a 1080p monitor but I keep Windows at 125% scaling because it would irritate the hell out of me to have everything as small as it is in native 1080p, and I’m not about to sit at phone distances away from it just to fix that.