Are you distracted by gear?

Am I?

:smirk: NNNNNOOOMMMMMMAYBE(yes) :shushing_face: :rofl:

15 Likes

I’ll take the HD800, the Focal headphone, that one gold cable(love those!! I have 4 so far), and you can keep the rest. :grin:

I would say I get distracted from time to time, but I always refocus on music. Lately I’ve found it hard to want to spend more on cans or IEMs or other gear. Maybe its a case of pull up enough weeds and sooner or later you get a bouquet of flowers in the process. The only thing I got my eyes on is getting an over ear planer(again) to complete the driver comparisons etc. There is no NEED in that want tho, just a collector doing his thing.

1 Like

I admit that i am a gear whore BUT, i have listened to more NEW to me music and opened my eyes to so many varieties, styles and genres that i had not ever bothered with for over 30 years of my life before. I also spend many more hours relaxing to music than ever before in my life. The rooms full of knobs, buttons, heatsinks, fancy woods, tubes, speakers and cables make me WANT to spend time with the gear. It’s an infinant loop…:infinity:

4 Likes

The cookie tin wins!

2 Likes

After like a second on introspection on this topic again looking at myself I think the only thing that really pulls me out of this hobby and stop spending a stupid amount of cash looking for the cheapie unicorn and makes me appreciate what I have most currently is focusing my hobby money Into other hobbies whether it be pcs and peripherals, anime figures, or that random piece of fashion that catches my eye and I think I can rock with enough swag. Basically all I’m saying is you can easily learn to listen to music with your current gear and just sit and listen when you’re too broke to even think about upgrading or trying to think about trying something else

3 Likes

Looking through this thread, I may have misunderstood this hobby.
I thought this was all about the gear :man_facepalming:

This is a joke
4 Likes

You know, I’ve been reflecting on this since I first posted it. Again, very interesting to hear other people’s perspectives. For me, gear is definitely a big part of the equation. However, I read the “Psychology of Collecting” article that was linked, and I don’t feel like that is me. I actually sell most of my gear to buy new gear.

For me, I feel like it is really trying to reach an understanding all the nuances different gear provides. I want those different perspectives to improve my knowledge base.

I always remember this quote from some dude the American Pickers (Iowa represent!) bought I think a Beatles album from. He said something to the effect of, “The goal isn’t to own all the toys in the world, but to get to play with them all.” That always stuck with me, and I think that is more my attitude towards the hobby, and my other hobbies in general.

8 Likes

Its real interesting for me. I absalutely have a collecting issue. Hell, I have ~500 rubicks cubes about 1/4 of which I still can’t solve because I’m taking a break from the hobby. But I look at my hobbies that take up quite a bit of physical space and I don’t have that issue at all. Simracing? 100% of the money I spend is on increasing immersion and I couldn’t give a shit about any of the gear I replace. Just gets sold on immediately. Cars? Maybe I would be a hoarder if I was a billionair and could afford a 3 car garage in my city, but as of right now I don’t realy have issues limiting myself to 3 cars concurrently regardless of the fact that I buy/sell/trade them at least 3 times a year (realy need to pick up a dealers license since insurance is cheaper than sales tax, but holy fuck is even a shithole qualified location expensive anywhere within 3 hours of my house). The swapping around for them is 100% about experiencing new things and keeping my “collection” diverse. Outside of a dedicated track car or something I realy don’t see myself owning the same model of car twice for the foreseeable future. Just way too much other shit out there to try.

Now audio? I’m honestly not sure since I’m pretty new. So far I don’t realt have any desire, but I can 1000% see myself falling down the vinyl collecting rabbit hole.

This makes a whole lot of sense to me. I’m enjoying experiencing as much as I can. Keeping the best and selling the rest. My “past gear” list keeps growing as my “current gear” list has shrunk. At this point I’ll probably keep a few core items that I love, and then have a revolving door of other new stuff to try just for the experience.

2 Likes