Are you Ricky Booby? The F1 topic

Merc may repeat with Russell what they did with Ocon - have him hang out in their garage for a year and find him a seat (Bottas’?) the following year.

What I found interesting is the mention of Haas selling the team to Mazepin.

That part was interesting, and i can see it happening (mostly because all the rumours about Haas might pull out of F1, and selling would be a good way og getting back some of the money spent)…

Relevant to this year due to the race couple weeks ago and Robert Kubica making this lap special. Enjoy.

2 Likes

looked like he gave it a proper go too looking at the speed he approaches traffic :slight_smile:

Sucks what happened to Max. And Daniel got another podium. Wonder if hes regretting leaving next year lol

I was just thinking the same thing. But! McLaren has Mercedes engines next year so…

1 Like

I used to watch a lot of F1 when I was 10-15 years old, was a Schummi fan and a Ferrari fan. These days its soooo boring that I just cannot be bothered. Lewis is a great driver, but the car is just soo much better than the rest that I still dont consider him at Schummi, Senna level driver.

(Also I dont like Mercedes as a brand so I cannot be bothered to watch them win all the time :smiley: )

Oh that should definitely help

Wonder if Alonso would be getting a Renault seat if he didn’t move on… and if he would want to team up with Alonso in Renault (alpine) since Alonso has such a connection with the team. Only fear i have with the McLaren move is that the first year with a new engine might have some design and reliability concerns.

Alonso is ONLY getting the seat because Daniel decided to move on. It would have been cool to see them both in the same team but I doubt they would have gotten rid of Ocon after just one season (plus he’s French).

They’re going to be strong next year with a Merc engin. I like Ricciardo and I think Lando Norris is as good a racer (not a qualifier) as Max. So they’ll be very strong come 2021. May even give Red Bull a run at 2nd.

McLaren screwed the pooch in 2012, took them until this year to turn it around.

Ron Dennis’ doing. He was putting in place his “management matrix” plan and I think it made them too rigid and incapable of quickly pivoting as needed. Plus Honda totally screwed the pooch when they first came in. I find the regular mismanagement drama at Ferrari much more entertaining lol.

1 Like

There’s articles I’ve come across about Hamilton being brought into McLaren in 2006 for testing. At the time the drivers in consideration for 2007 were Pedro De La Rosa and Vitantonio Liutzi. In the Silverstone testing, Hamilton get the 3rd best time in what was a pretty crappy car, the car didn’t have a win in the 2006 season.

Tim Goss was the chief engineer at the time, he’d previously been in charge of testing and other responsibilities. Hamilton didn’t remark about anything negative with the car so Tim asked him about feedback and Hamilton said that yeah, there was some instability mid corner and he eventually found a ways to drive around it.

Apparently both Kimi and Juan Pablo Montoya claimed the car was almost undriveable because of that instability.

Great drivers have a way of finding themselves in great cars because engineers get to hear that first hand feedback.

I think it’s pointless to compare drivers of different generation simply because there are too many variables. Unquestionably though Hamilton is the best driver of his generation.

I’m happy though that there are a lot of very good young guns to cheer for whenever Hamilton decides to call it quits.

1 Like

The Ferrari that Schummi drove was miles ahead of everyone else as well. McLaren was close at times kind of how Ferrari and Red Bull have been close to the Merc at times.

I would say both Hamilton and Schumacker are great drivers, and both have had some degree of luck when it comes to going to the right team at the right time… but then the saying goes “you make your own luck”.

Both drivers have worked very hard to archive their success (not saying others don’t work hard though), and it helps being so fast that every team wants you - makes it easier choosing the right team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes and no I think. Lewis has said he knew Merc was the right decision because he had been working with them already when they were supplying McLaren and had pretty good knowledge of their development of the hybrid motor. Also, the team had won the championship 3 years earlier (as Brawn GP) so they knew how to get it done.

2 Likes

that is a classic clip… and he seems to enjoy it quite a bit :slight_smile:

Who doesn’t enjoy scaring the shit out of their passenger? :joy: