Assistance with purchasing bassy headphones

Hi,

I currently own the HD598, HD6xx, HifiMan Sundara, & DT 990 600 Ohm and I run these with my JDS Atom Dac/Amp. I’ve been looking into getting headphones that achieve nice bass that adds to a song but not completely overwhelming as I listen to all types of music genres such as hip hop, pop, edm, chill, & classical. I was looking into purchasing the DT 770 (250 ohm) or the Monoprice M1060c or the fostex thx00 refurbished from drop and I was leaning towards the fostex but afraid of the no warranty + refurbished status. I have a budget of about $400 but that could be stretched towards $500 if necessary.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

This is perfect for you. Zeos said that the bass on these feel like a gunshot straight to your brain, and since it’s a planar, it’ll also be well defined and not over powering. Although the catch is that they way 660 grams and aren’t really that comfy. If you can live with those 2 problems, then this would be an extremely good deal

If its bassier headphones that you’re looking for, you definitely can’t go wrong with a fostex biodynamic variant, I have an E-MU teak with Lawton Purpleheart cups on their way so I can give you a bit of an idea of what purpleheart variants sound like when I get them (although the lawton cups take them to another level).
I’d suggest looking at @WaveTheory 's review of his purpleheart th-x00s to see what you can get with these fostex biodynamic headphones.

I think that the refurbished variants on drop are actually at a pretty good price too considering the TR (detachable cable) variants tend to have a price premium and are usually around that price or more used.

1 Like

First thing, where’s the page to buy a refurbished X00 on drop? Or did I misunderstand you and your getting them from a third party?

As for what you should look at for B A S S, The TR-X00 ph are the best imo. The mahogany are not the best (harsh treble) and the ebony are well reviewed but are more neutral-ish. The purple hearts are what I would call a warm V-shape. The bass, while it can slap you across the face or rumble enough to feel it in your chest a bit, never oversteps it’s bounds and only sounds like a bass cannon when there is bass to shoot at you.

Since you seem to have mostly neutral-ish headphones now, the ebony might be closer to what you want with less bass amount but still great quality and extension. If you can’t get the stock ebony cups, E-MU sells ebony and rosewood cups for about $130 per pair. You could get those and put them on the purple heart or mahogany.

As for the lack of warranty, I wouldn’t be too concerned. The X00s are pretty well built, so they won’t just randomly break on you, but you do have to treat them like the $400-$500 luxury cans they are. They are not like the senns or beyers that you can throw around and treat like equipment. Basically, hold both cups while taking them off (as to not put the full weight on one hinge), put them down gently, and don’t put the cups on your desk.

I can’t comment on the refurbished part since I don’t know what they claim to do exactly, but refurbished can sometimes be better than new since someone had to specifically check that unit and fix whatever problems it had (if it was refurbished property).

Maybe consider getting a better and stronger amp it will bring out the bass on all your headphones

But if you want to go the headphone tour get a good closed back an open back will never deliver that kind of bass a closed back can. Fostex or the beyerdynamic 177x go

2 Likes

Great thanks, I don’t really get uncomfortable from headphones and might give these a shot. Would you consider these or the fostex trx00 as they are around the same price?

Great thanks, I’ll definitely read this and check my options. Please give me your opinion on them once you receive them as well.

Thank you for the reply, I’m definitely going to bite the bullet and purchase the trx00.

1 Like

If you somehow end up not liking the amount of bass on the purple hearts, look into those E-MU cups I mentioned. I’ll see if I can find a post with the ordering email or the page to buy them.

Edit: it was very easy to find thankfully.

Also take a look at this thread for more info on the stock X00s.

1 Like

Hello
The Fostex Tr xx is no longer available, only second-hand for a lot of money.
You can only access the Emu Teak or the Fostex Th610.

In my opinion, the Emu Teak is the better headphone than the Fostex.
If you ask for the rosewood cups they will send them to you. they were not a bit cheaper than the ebony cups. 30$ I think?

In my opinion the Rosewood are more lively in general in the signature and also in the bass.
Especially there they are the most powerful.
The Ebony are less lively in the signature compared to the Rosewood.
In any case, if you listen to jazz, the Ebony are great.

I think the Emu Teak, which is somewhere between the two cups, will be a better listener than the Fostex Th 610.

Using the Lawtonmod stage one to dampen the driver won’t even give you a small plus in bass, treble and midrange.

Edit i have just See jet Massdrop sell the Purpleheart.
I hope for when you buy und become one in Good condition,:wink:

If you’re willing to look at used, the CFA Cascades are Amazing!
I have a pair of Fostex TH-610’s that I will be selling. I did the Lawton drive mod and bought a balanced cable. It comes nowhere near the Cascades. I think that to get the sound I wanted, I would have had to buy Lawton cups which run $300.00 to $500.00. Then the price exceeds the Cascades.

And they are ridiculously easy to drive. Sound awesome out of my Sony DAP or the full sound system.

Honestly I’d go with the m1570. You already have dynamics and a bass lite planar (sundara), so getting another dynamic like the fostex might just be more of the same. The m1570 is a replica of the drivers from the audeze line, so you know it’ll be a good planar and nice and bassy. I really suggest getting the m1570 over the fostex.