šŸ”¶ Audeze LCD-1

Well Iā€™m a bit disappointed. I was hoping these would be Audezeā€™s new best value model. Does anyone else think the vocal range sounds veiled like Josh does? Weak mids would also be deal-breaker for me.

1 Like

I donā€™t really agree with that review fully, I kinda think he is more used to a different sound than the audeze provides. I think itā€™s a great buy tbh. Also not sure why he thinks it has weak mids, as I have heard a fair amount of headphones that donā€™t have this coherent range as these do. I will agree that they donā€™t have as good spatial recreation as other headphones in the price range (but that being said audezeā€™s are kinda like that imo)

2 Likes

How about this bass comparison against Sundara? Is this accurate? Doesnā€™t really paint them in a good light.

In that case, I will have to give these a listen next time I feel driving 2 hours to the nearest Hifi store. Would you consider the LCD-1 an upgrade (and similar in sound) to anything I own? (see profile)

Ahh yes, no theme reviews. Heā€™s a somewhat controversial figure lol. Thatā€™s too long of a video for right now, I will have to get to it later. If someone gives me a summary though I can agree or disagree now lol

I donā€™t know if I would call them an upgrade per se, but something different to add, you donā€™t really have a warmer planar in your collection, but I think it might not be different enough. I think that trying to score an lcd2 classic b stock might be more of a difference for your collection

2 Likes

Not totally accurate summary but more or less LCD-1 bass is quite muddy and as weak or weaker than Sundara.

Really? I think the lcd1 outperforms the sundara in bass tbh. I would pick the lcd1 if you prefer a more warm and better bass performer, and the sundara if you wanted a more even and airy/bright sound. The bass on the sundara is detailed, but it doesnā€™t have as good layering and impact imo. I think the sundara is better for imaging and a more open sound. I think itā€™s more preference tbh as I think they compete pretty well with each other, and is more different strokes for different folks

1 Like

There, everything should be moved now

5 Likes

Youā€™re spot on with the description.But itā€™s not a huge difference between the two in warmth or detail from an enjoyment standpoint they both felt very much to just enjoy the music.

I feel like the sundara is more intimate with better soundstage and imaging, as the lcd-1 can be a bit left-center-right at times but thatā€™s the case with most audeze

Just saw that Rtings posted a review and some graphs for the LCD-1 if anyone is interested

Audeze LCD-1 Review

2 Likes

I donā€™t see a thread for LCD-3 so I thought I would just put this here, hope thatā€™s ok. Just found this and it seemed interesting. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/instructive-and-sad-story-about-lcd-3-modification-attempt.770678/

Just got these today. I got them from Audeze and im not even sure why. I saw that the Audeze EL8 closed was supposed to be V-shaped. turned out to be more neutral with good treble and bass extension. But i found a pair on ebay selling cheap. 175$. but the headband was cracked. I got it and tried it out and i was surprised how good it sounded. So i wrote into Audeze and asked of they would sell me a new headband. Guy got back to me and said they couldnt sell me one and offered the LCD 1 instead. What a awesome company.

I was impressed with the packaging. But the headphone itself is underwhelming. In the reviews it looks much larger. In reality it gives me the same feeling as the Cal or Emu purple heart lol. Its a little bigger than that but not much bigger. These where designed by Audeze for portable use. They are very lightweight and compact. the cups fold into the band. the cups are a little small and for some people they may be a little on ear. its fits mine snugly. But they are comfortable. The cable feels premium. it has a nice thickness to it.

They sell for 400$ are they worth the price? yes! despite its size the sound packs quite a wallop. The bass/midrange/treble are so well done here. especially the midrange. the bass has a nice little punch and rumble. Mid range is very well done and detailed. and the Treble is also well done. unlike other Audeze headphones it is not rolled off or dark. its a neutral headphone with good bass and treble extension. Imaging and separation are very good and the detail is good also. Its a bit surprising to get such good sound out of a smallish headphone like this. but i think it is worth its price point. Soundstage is close. which is great for me but maybe not others. I like this headphone a lot.

Its a planar and boasts 90mm drivers. Ultra-thin Uniforce Diaphragms and Fluxor Magnets with a Fazor. It powers fairly easy though i had to go up to 11 oā€™clock on my RNHP. I would say its beat out by the Sundara and i prefer my Helios to it. so maybe 300$ would be a better price. but keep in mind its Audeze and its made for portability. For portability this is my favorite headphone now. its replaced my 1More headphone. But it is open. so maybe iā€™ll keep my 1More around lol. The volume on my LG V20 is more than enough. and i dont need a amp for it. its set to max but i dont think iā€™ll need more. its all around a very nice headphone. Like all Audeze its classy.

I dont know what this means

6 Likes

Thought you might like themā€¦glad they didnā€™t disappoint

1 Like

i have same offerā€™s too, but do you think LCD 1 is better than El-8 closed? or better replacement from el-8 closed?
I like my El-8, but recently the driver are broken, so i ask audeze to send the driver replacement,

and they give me an offer, to get driver replacement (both left and right) or get the new Audeze product instead (LCD 1)

please help :ā€™ā€™'D

Iā€™d say this largely depends on if you need the closed back. I donā€™t have experience with the EL-8, but the LCD-1 is very good for what it is, which is an easy to drive, easy to transport, pretty neutral planar.

BTW, welcome to HFGF!

1 Like

I feel like my ears need a bump @ 2khz (compared to harman), to hear ā€œnaturalā€ mids. LCD-1s does the opposite. Maybe me and Joshua have the same ā€œproblemā€.

1 Like

Audeze uses their own Target thatā€™s slightly dipped in the upper-mids compared to Harman (so Iā€™ve been told).

Joshuaā€™s beloved Aryas got the exact same dip apparentlyā€¦ but, oh well, amp/dac/headphones pairing I guess. LCD-1s donā€™t need 1 or 2 amps.

1 Like