šŸ”¶ Audeze LCD-1

I actually preferred the mids on the LCD 2.2 over the regular fazored 2

I think my headphones sound different still even after eqed. Not as much, but still some. EQ only goes so far. But if he is going to eq, then he should do a 2 part review of before and after. Just my thoughts. But the headphones do look very appealing.

Yeah, I personally donā€™t use eq for music enjoyment at all, but I know some people who really like it. But it can only go so far

To EQ to best effect:

1. Start with best raw measurements you can find
  2. Compensate the raw data to your preferred target curve
  3. Invert resulting values
  4. Use step 3 results to create an EQ using as many bands as needed to achieve a close match
  5. Tweak result by ear comparing to a tone generator.

Works just fine for me, lol. Caveat of course is if the compensation needed pushes your headphone into audible distortion.

Am I missing something?

You canā€™t add technicalities is mainly what I mean. You canā€™t add more detail, spatial accuracy, fitment, transients, or other technical aspects is really what I meant. You can make the signature more pleasurable to you or better for a certain aspect, but donā€™t buy a headphone and eq it and expect a new headphone

2 Likes

Absolutely. And if you start with a good headphone with good technicalities and decently low distortion you can turn the proverbial sowā€™s ear into a silk purse.

I reckon EQ takes my DT 1990s from the ~$500 range to maybe ~$750 or $800. IOW, it already had $800ish build, comfort (or fitment ā€“ good word, that), detail, dynamics, spatials. Now it has no-prob tuning as well.

But if I were dealing with a portability situation, EQ could well be out of the question.

Getting back to the LCD-1. Amazingly, we have Audezeā€™s own Kemar/GRAS raw measurements for it, courtesy Audeze and Metal571. I used that to create a simulation for listening to on my 1990s. As the measurements show and Metal tells us, itā€™s moderately recessed in the upper mids, but in a pinch I could live with that tuning.

They look like an open back version of their gaming headset.

Itā€™s probably using a similar driver with better design and tuning imo

I had come very close last week to getting a LCD-2 on sale because I wanted something with top tier bass performance. Iā€™m hoping this instead might satisfy that need. Weā€™ll see if the hype continues once more reviewers pick it up. Iā€™m surprised about how Audeze apparently didnā€™t send more review units out.
Metal751 is odd choice to have as your first reviewer.
As someone who has no issue with using EQ, I find his reviews helpful. Although he always reviews the sound without EQ as well, so I donā€™t see what all the complaints are about.

Ill see when I can try a pair once they actually ship out since I know someone who ordered them, can compare to the lcd2. Very curious, as it would be very interesting if I ended up preferring them over my 2.2

Would be interested in that comparison. How different is the LCD 2.2 from the fazor version? From the review, it sounds like the LCD 1 will have a more even sound sound signature. From the limited time I had with LCD 2, it was obvious that the stock sound wasnā€™t for me.

I personally prefer the 2.2 because itā€™s got more impact and all kind of blends together to create a warm and thick sound with better texture, where the newer ones are more clear and have better separation, but less impact imo. Itā€™s almost like a a tube being the 2.2 non fazor and solid state being the fazor (kinda but not really)

Edit: also the non fazor is darker

2 Likes

Wow! Out of nowhere!!! M1570? M1070? M570? Lcd 1?

Actually I wonder how much the 1070 and 1570 will compete with the lcd 1

You donā€™t think the 1070 is meant to compete with the 2 or 3?

Yeah, I wanted a headphone with a Audeze planar base sound. This is a actual Audeze that SUPPOSEDLY has that sound and excellent treble POSSIBLY like the Sundaraā€¦I donā€™t even know.

I do as I think they are based of the lcd series lel, but it depends on how well they actually turn out. I said how much they will compete, suggesting that they can either be on a different level or potentially fall on this one

Will let you know when a friend receives his and I can listen and see. Just donā€™t know enough about them to say anything helpful

Ah fairā€¦ Would be an epic fail if they donā€™t. The kind that kills a product line.

Or it could speak to how good audeze has made these, who knows until either of them come out