šŸ”¶ Audeze LCD 2 Pre Fazors

BF2 into Liquid platinum balanced and then balanced into preā€™s

2 Likes

iFi Pro iDSD to iFi Pro iCAN is top for me, then Modi multibit to Asgard 3, them E30 to Asgard 3, then E30 to liquid spark, then just FiiO K3 and lastly just a FiiO K5 Pro from best to worst for me.

2 Likes

If you want the cheapest and best for your money go either used modi multibit or E30 to a used Asgard 3. That right there is about $300. Otherwise your looking up and past $700 for the next real upgrade. Edit: forgot to mention, donā€™t run then off pure tube amps, if you want tubes you need to use a hybrid like the liquid platinum.

1 Like

Iā€™m just asking the question out of curiosity lol I like the a3 bf2 combo personally atm.

Regarding tubes Iā€™ve heard they do very well actually but you have to spend over 2k before you get a tube amp that can do the job from what Iā€™m told.

1 Like

I just got my LCD 2 prefazor a few days ago, maybe a week or so. But just wanted to chirp in with my thoughts so far since my opinion has been changing everyday. Generally the sound is suuuuper detailed (in comparison to stuff that i have heard). In addition unlike other planars that i have heard like the sundara these sound much thicker and have more slam which was a pretty nice surprise. Olga TaƱon and stella Jang it really hit me how first of all sweet the voices sounded but also stuff like drums, guitar etc sounded pretty dang spot on . Day by day as i get accustomed to the amoun of detail, ridiculous separation and precision that these guys have the oranic timbre and tonality are also beginning to shine! Just superb tonality, the bass hits deep but i think because itā€™s more linear itā€™s not as fun(?) sounding as hawk bass. Itā€™s also not bloated at all like on my 18 dollar buds lol, but i do think that because of itā€™s more linear sound itā€™s more well versed and balanced sounding so there are tradeoffs. Just since yesterday i have been particularly enjoying it for Nujabes, Bacilos, Monsieur PerinĆ©, Bol4, Stella Jang etc. When i first recieved it i was liking it for everything including Pop because i was experiencing crazy technicalities that i had never really heard but now Iā€™m defenitely preferring it for organic acoustic music, indie, folk and classical of course! For Kpop etc i prefer my JVC earbuds with the extra brightness, slam and more fun tuned bass. (Make no mistake tho, of course anything and everything including Kpop sounds great on these! Just a bit more of a specialized headphone so far imo) Oh yeah treble is actually pretty dang sweet too, i know audeze are known for being dark or whatever but this is def not. Just a solid warm sounding headphone. Itā€™s ability to recreate a stage properly has been another big part of the enjoyment.

I knew this coming into it but having an open back again does remind me about how little i get to use it lol since my mom is washing clothes each morning and afternoon, and if not my dog is barking a storm and once it becomes hot again my AC will be on at most times lol so a bit of a Rip for whenever that time comes. I still get at least an hour or two per every 3 days.

13 Likes

[@M0N moved things while I was typing!]

Nice write-up, Jose. I agree with you on the really nice timbre. Also, this bit:

reminded me of a thing I learned quite recently. There are [at least] 3 versions of the LCD-2 prefazor floating around out there. They can essentially be described as versions 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2. The 2.0 version was the first and had a really dark tuning. It looks like this:

Notice the horizontal grille pattern. Since it was the original LCD-2 the reputation for having a dark signature kinda stuck. Also, IIRC the LCD-2 Classic was intended to bring back that signature. Revisions 2.1 and 2.2 are a little more treble-neutral, not bright or forward but certainly donā€™t have the treble recess of the 2.0. That first impression the 2.0 made has been hard to shake. The primary - though not 100% foolproof way - of visually distinguishing between the 2.1 and the 2.2 is the connector jack mount. On the 2.1 the jack is held in a molded wood housing that is part of the earcup. The 2.2 has a forward-angled jack mount on each cup that is attached to the cup - like yours.

9 Likes

Hmm I bought mine as a 2.2 but itā€™s got the moulded wooden housing :man_shrugging: Maybe mines a 2.1.

1 Like

From what I know there are some 2.2 with the wood connectors out there before they switched

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the one I bought

1 Like

Yeah, this was the reason for my ā€œnot 100% foolproofā€ disclaimer. As @M0N just mentioned there are some extant 2.2 with the molded wood jack mount. I think the serial number is the only way to tell for sure, but the jack mount increases the odds of which is which.

2 Likes

That looks like a 2.2 to me due to the headband, like @WaveTheory mentions, the only way to know is the s/n but that probably is a 2.2

2 Likes

Ah my bad lol so confusing. Damn you audeze!

1 Like

Somewhere in there Audeze also changed the style of their branding on the grille too. I see yours they have ā€œAudezeā€ written on there. On mine it says ā€œAudezā€™eā€ like in the picture of the 2.0 model above. No idea when they made that change but it also just makes things even more unclear.

2 Likes

Ah yes I was going to mention that as well but I forgot

1 Like

Is the lcd-3 pf this bonkers as well? I bought one but didnā€™t research before buying really.

1 Like

I really like the 3 pre fazor if you donā€™t mind something more forward but also more technically capable

2 Likes

I meant in terms of various revisions? My bad

1 Like

Ah to my knowledge no, there are less revisions than the 2 (or less significant outside of the switch to fazor)

2 Likes

INTERESTING, that explains alot lol. and interesting to see one with the jack inside the wooden part too, that{s pretty crazy to think about. quite interesting however. thanks alot for the info! super interesting stuff

3 Likes

Yoooooo the slam on these is actually kinda nuts. I can{t believe that they are planar lol. Iā€™ve had alot of time today on my day off to listen to them, and listening to Orishas - A lo cubano the slam that the bass has is pretty sick. Iā€™m honestly shocked that it can have this slam even as a planar. Maybe itā€™s because the bass goes deep on this that i can hear more slam? i donā€™t know

6 Likes