šŸ”¶ Audeze LCD 2 Pre Fazors

I have an original Rev 1 LCD 2 pf. I was thinking about replacing the headband. I think they sound really good. Best bass I have ever heard on headphones. My question is: What is the difference in sound b/n rev 1 and rev 2? I know the headband that comes with my rev 1 has crappy exposed foam on the headband, hence me consideration of a new one. The Rosewood? box that comes with these is beautiful!

1 Like

The asking price for this is now $725 if anyoneā€™s looking for one

1 Like

What differences are there between the rosewood and bamboo? Is it purely cosmetic/weight, or is there more to it?

1 Like

Iā€™m certain itā€™s just a cosmetic thing. But the weights are probably a bit different.

1 Like

I believe bamboo is lighter and less prone to cracking than rosewood. Before, Audeze had issues with LCD-2 rosewood rings cracking. Now, thereā€™s more treatment on the wood rings (lacquer?). My old ass LCD-2.1ā€™s have rosewood rings but do not have lacquer on them. Thankfully, they do not exhibit any cracking (knock on wood) so far because the last owner, and now myself, treat them with wood conditioner from time to time.

Aesthetically speaking, I prefer the rosewood look over the bamboo composite.

3 Likes

I have LCD-3 is 8 years old and is wood with no cracking. But generally bamboo is lighter and less prone to cracking, but is a material (itā€™s not wood) so will scratch and dent more. With how much wood or bamboo is on them I wouldnā€™t worry about weight because it wouldnā€™t be anymore than a 5 gram difference. Personally Iā€™d go with the wood since it looks better and has better sonic qualities, although I donā€™t think the sonic qualities actually change on the LCD-2.

1 Like

first impressions have bit me in the butt againā€¦ the weight is becoming a bit of an issueā€¦ longer listening sessions arenā€™t happeningā€¦ I havenā€™t timed it or anything but 30-45 mins seems about all I can get without a distracting discomfort that takes me out of the musicā€¦ pretty unfortunate because I love how these soundā€¦ havenā€™t decided yet if these are worth keeping or not

1 Like

You have the older style headband correct? You could get a new suspension style from audeze, but I would make sure you like the headphones first lol

1 Like

I do yeahā€¦ thatā€™s a good point, I look into the weight difference and spend some more time with the headphones as well before deciding anythingā€¦ I could also just get more accustomed to the weight with time but I wanted to give the update so as to not mislead anyone.

also curious now how the Aeolus compares in terms of weightā€¦ I bought them after a short listening session so hopefully that wasnā€™t a mistake

Edit: looks like the Aeolus is quite a bit lighter 473 g (Aeolus) vs 595 g (new lcd-2 rosewood, so Iā€™m sure mine is even heavier)

1 Like

You can swap it out on your current one. I guess your other option would be to find a pre fazor bamboo

I actually think the pre fazors are lighter than the new ones, but I canā€™t remember

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good pointā€¦ new headband but added weight with the fazors likely.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a headband on headfi for 80 if youā€™re interested

3 Likes

Oh right on. Iā€™m just going to give it some more time for now but thanks.

1 Like

Sounds like you are in pain. I canā€™t let an audio buddy suffer! I will have to low ball you on the price immediately! :grin:

4 Likes

Iā€™ll let you know if I decide to sell :wink:

2 Likes

He needs to get rid of it quick if he wants to recover, Iā€™m sure heā€™ll do anything

2 Likes

Yeah, that was the first thing I did when I received my secondhand LCD-2.2 pre-fazors a few months ago. The underside leather of the original headband already hardened, so it was like wearing rocks on the top of my head, lol. The newer spring-steel comfort strap headband was a lifesaver for sure. If weight wasnā€™t an issue with @donjklassen, then I would have recommended the Lohb strap as a cheaper option.

2 Likes

Yeah they can get stiff, typically Iā€™m not sensitive to hot spots but the older style headband wasnā€™t the best for me lol

I always forget that exists lol, itā€™s a good alternative

2 Likes

Iā€™m only kidding. I bought two pairs of headphones in the last month. I have got to slow the hell down.

In reality, I am definitely going to need a bigger headphone cabinet. :laughing:

3 Likes

You bought 2 headphones in the last month!!! Thatā€™s it? M0N has costed me like $8000 in the last month alone! Although it was my fault for asking him in the first place. My ears donā€™t mind though, but my wallet does.

2 Likes