šŸ”¶ Audeze LCD-X

I just ordered the creators edition from Audeze.

@Sherm137 out of curiosity what are you upgrading to?

1 Like

Iā€™m still deciding. One of the other reasons Iā€™m selling them is because they donā€™t fit my head well, sadly. After a few hours, I develop a hot spot. Thatā€™s a no go for me, as I have my cans on a long time most days. Iā€™m pretty bummed out about it, but I have saved enough after selling these that I can get something different and (hopefully) even better.

Iā€™m looking at the Hifiman line right now. I LOVE their sound, but donā€™t know if I want to deal with their QC.

Is this a real marketing piece? I canā€™t imagine saying your headphones cost as much as a car is effective messaging.

Iā€™m certain that itā€™s spoofing the look of the headphones. Depending on the condition of the car, it may be equal to, or even less than the cost of the Focals. :laughing:

1 Like

It is a fake ad that circulated on Reddit when the Stellia was announced lol

1 Like

Right. Of course.

Dā€™oh!!!

Hey guys, I own an RME ADI-2 DAC, do you know how the LCD-X (new headband rev 2018) would scale with that dac/amp combo? I also own a pair of DT1990 Pro, do you think it would be too similar to thoes ? or should i look at maybe the LCD2Classic?

1 Like

I havenā€™t listened to the RME, but from what Iā€™ve read it has plenty of power and is a superb dac. LCD-X are low impedance, they really do require little power. Iā€™m running them through an RNPH and thatā€™s more power than I need for them. LCD-X should pair well with the RME.

1 Like

The LCD2C has a warmer sound signature than the LCD-X and would definitely be more of a compliment to the 1990s. LCD-X are the better headphone, though.

1 Like

Would the LCD-X be a warmer version of the DT1990 Pro? I like the 1990 but for some songs it lacks warmth and a bit of ā€œmeatā€? Haha.

Yes. The bass control is very good on the LCD-X and it also has the ā€œmeatā€ā€¦at least for me it did. Iā€™m not a huge bass guy, though. I like a very even response from my headphones. If anything, the LCD-X probably had a touch too much bass for me. The treble is very good, too. It doesnā€™t get has high as the 1990, but itā€™s very good and controlled.

Warning with the LCD-X, itā€™s HEAVY. Like uber HEAVY. I do not recommend it for long sessions. A few hours max was all I could handle. Maybe a pilot pad or something like that would have helped, but I developed a hot spot on the top of my head. Though, everyoneā€™s head is different.

I ended up trading mine up for a ZMF Eikon. Super happy with that.

1 Like

Totally agree. LCD-X isnā€™t a ā€˜bass canonā€™ but it definitely can reproduce very low frequencies. The weight isnā€™t an issue for me (they are heavy indeed). Iā€™ve got a thick neck. :laughing:
They are pretty fantastic. Everyone whoā€™s listened to mine have loved them.

I got my pair recently, I agree the bass is not as powerful as some other headphones but you are never lacking it, the LCD-X can always reproduce any music without feeling like you need more of any frequency.

As for the weight, while they are heavy I donā€™t feel the weight, it feels more solidly built than anything else. Not that you want to drop them though.

1 Like

Salutations! Has anyone tried these on Tubes? I currently use a JDS Atom/Khadas setup which is phenomenal with Peace EQ, but was curious if tubes would add anything to the equation.

Additionally, (and perhaps off topic), anyone try the LCD-X and ZMF Aeolus side-by-side?

2 Likes

Have you tried Dekoni Nuggets? i hear they can help any headphone with ā€œhot spots on the headā€ from the headband. Iā€™ve had that happen to me multiple times with the B&W P7, Fostex TH900mk2 and MrSpeakers Ether C.

I havenā€™t. Thanks for the suggestion! But I ended trading my LCD-X for an Eikon.

@ZeosPantera, I can confirm that the LCD-X come standard with the cable that you reviewed on the LCD-MX4. Itā€™s an excellent stock cable, and I believe itā€™s the standard cable on the LCD line with the exception of the LCD-4 and 4z (i4 obviously has its own higher end cable). Those come with premium silver plated copper cables.

Thanks again for your exceptional reviews.

(Apologizes for the crappy photo, I used my mobile phone.)

2 Likes

Hi. Yesterday I went to a local shop with my RME and auditioned LCD-X , LCD2 classics and HD800 through internal amp with loudness on (bass +6 , treble +5). The LCD-X was a masterpiece and required little power. Absolutely fantastic from bass to treble. First time I heard layers to the low frequenciesā€¦ But it was really heavy. LCD2 Classic was super dark for some reason and not too resolving while HD800 was super boring and ā€˜ā€˜coldā€™ā€™. Couldnā€™t stop listening to X reallyā€¦ I have HD650 and now I have to save money cause I cannot stop thinking of themā€¦ Considering the fact that I donā€™t even need an external amp, the whole package seems a good deal for the soundā€¦
Does anyone by the way listened the aeon flow open through RME ADI 2 DAC?

4 Likes

I got a set of LCDX for Christmas and think theyā€™re my favorite of my cans. They can just do it all very well.

4 Likes

LCD X is my favorite set of headphones.

Have you tried EQing them? For me, it brightened them up, gave them more space and airyness, while still maintaining that low end extension and impact. It made it a more complete headphone, in my experience.

Sonarworks had a trial, if youā€™re interested.

5 Likes