šŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

I hate that people canā€™t appreciate something different. You go against grain and some immediately start hating you. cough everyone on reddit cough.

The msrp and their reputation doesnā€™t help though

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure compared to the margin on their cables headphones probably brought in a lot less comparatively

2 Likes

Hey @M0N Do the OG NightHawk come stock with the hybrid pad? From what little research looking for suede pads it seems I have the hybrid pads. I donā€™t have the Carbonā€™s leather or Suede pads. I can find the Leather for sale but no mention of Suede pads anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that too

I think so but I canā€™t recall

1 Like

Looks like I will have to try some aftermarket padsā€¦ There was one post i saw some guy got good results from Audeze vegan suede pads. Might try the ZMF Universe pads in suede. Then maybe brainwavz suede. Idk.

Btw if anyone has a spare pair of the MicroSuede pads iā€™ll buy haha.

Update: Ordered some ZMF Universe pads. No clue how Iā€™ll get them to stay on but I reckon Iā€™ll find a way. Also AudioQuest got back to me and of course the MicroSuede are discontinued and sold out. Though they do have the protein leather in stock for $50 USD.

1 Like

Suede brainwavz pads work pretty well. They sound pretty close to the suede nighthawk pads as far as I can tell.

3 Likes

These are the ones Iā€™m gonna buy along with the ZMF:

Or are these too long length wise for the NightHawks? Should I go for a more Round pad?

The round pads might look a bit weird. If youā€™re gonna go zmf the oval suedes could would but those are THICC :eyes:. Especially compared to the stock pads. Dunno how those would sound. Oval brainwavz suedes fit the best around the pad rings.

Nearly a week using the XD05 Plus with the Nighthawks and they keep sounding better and better. Iā€™m wondering now if I can make these my headphones for calls too. Are the modmics still worth it these days? Are there better alternatives?

1 Like

The inline mic that comes on the stock cable is okay actually. You just need to figure out how to get it to work.
Itā€™s kind of impossible to do a modmic for double ended cables as far as I know.

Yeah, the inline works for my laptop but my PC doesnā€™t have a TRRS input for audio + mic. I was thinking more of the Antlion Uni or that audio technica detach mic (and i like the aesthetic).

Iā€™m also not sure if the inline mic still works when plugged into the XD05.

I donā€™t think heā€™s talking about the vmoda boom pro.

Modmic will work if you use a Y connector. The only thing is that the headphone cable should be a non mic one.

1 Like

Ah. Yeah the microphones wouldnā€™t work if the unit is plugged into the XD-05.
Have you thought about a separate mic?

Headphones go to the XD-05, from the XD-05 goes to the Y cable. Modmic goes direct to the Y cable. Y cable is plugged to the motherboard/controller 3.5mm connector

Topping Nx3s instead of xDuoo.

5 Likes

Well there ya go. Looks fairly straightforward.

Iā€™m all about standalone mics myself. Used to use the blue yeti but the port and cord were shit and on the bottom so bound to bend and break. Just got a quadcast from hyper x and itā€™s legit.

Once you go desktop mic you donā€™t go back man. Sounds way better, no worry about breathing into mic, no extra cords dangling from your headphones.

2 Likes

Oh I just noticed for Xbox. Never mind then :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m a long way from having to buy it so Iā€™ll give standalone some thought, thanks.