šŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

My goal is to keep my desktop setup at home and then be able to use this amp when I want the option to take something in my backpack to work and keep it with me on the go. Iā€™m shopping in the $150 and below range right now and Iā€™ve looked at the XD-05, Hip Dac, BTR5, and UP4 primarily but Iā€™m open to considering other options.

I think the 05 would be great and it would lean brighter, whereas the Hip Dac would be warmer leaning. 05 has more battery life I think, more power too.
Have you looked to see if there are any used 05+ for sale? You might score a great deal on that.
Even better would be a used ifi Micro IDSD regular silver or better yet Black Label version. Ebay and Hifishark are great places to look, also Reddit AV Exchange.

Yeah Iā€™m looking mainly on eBay and AVExchange right now as well as Head-Fi. I will check out Hifishark as well. I havenā€™t really dug around there much.

1 Like

Soren has sent you on the right pathā€¦ Iā€™d avoid the hip dac with the nighthawks if youā€™re worried about warmthā€¦ 05 would do nicely as you dont really need the extra power of the plus

What do you think about the iDSD Nano BL? I can pick one up for about $125 right now used. Iā€™m not terribly worried about warmth. Iā€™m currently using the Liquid Spark for desktop which Iā€™ve heard described as warm. Itā€™s the first amp Iā€™ve owned so I donā€™t really know anything different. So if the iDSD BL would be relatively close to the LS then I would be a happy camper. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Iā€™m unfamiliar with the nano bl

1 Like

Thatā€™s not a bad price, it is a warmer amp like the spark. Not as powerful but it is still pretty solid

1 Like

So I have a chance to get the XD-05 (not +) for $140. Given the choice between this and the Nano BL at $125 which should I choose?!?!

1 Like

Hmmm. Personally I would say xd05 if you want more slam and a bit more treble, the nano bl if you wanted something a bit more relaxed

3 Likes

Oh yes.

11 Likes

ULTIMATE COMBO!!! really brings them to life and evens out the sound signature a bit imo

1 Like

Just got mine in today. Zero listening time cause of work. Mine only came with the stock pads and no alternative. Anyone know where to get the other suede pads? Since I hear those are the ones that sound the best. BTW I got the Og not the carbon pair.

2 Likes

Gotcha the og donā€™t come with the suede, I had to buy mine separately. I think now you have to contact Audioquest perhaps, as I canā€™t find any for sale. The og also sound good with the leather though so I wouldnā€™t worry too much here

1 Like

Sweet! I canā€™t wait to get home and start breaking them in. So the suede pads will probably be hard to find then? I hope Audioquest still have some. Donā€™t mind buying some to compare.

1 Like

Yeah they might be hard or non existent to get. You might even find the rare hybrid pad, which not many have lol.

1 Like

How come audioquest doesnā€™t make headphones anymore?

1 Like

IDK, when they were first released they were received as very hit or miss, and the carbons didnā€™t get much interest, the night owl was their last chance with the most normal tuning, but they must have found it not profitable in the end, even though now they are getting a resurgence for their unique sound (when more unique and enjoyable tuning are more in vogue)

3 Likes

That kinda sucks honestly. I blame metal571 for this lol. I know he didnā€™t like the og nighthawks.

1 Like

The og hawks came out during a time when most hifi stuff was going for a ā€œhifiā€ signature, so the hawks were not that when they came out, so kinda goin against the flow

1 Like

I hate that people canā€™t appreciate something different. You go against grain and some immediately start hating you. cough everyone on reddit cough.

The msrp and their reputation doesnā€™t help though

3 Likes