šŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

These donā€™t really leak that much tbh, they are essentially closed back

Iā€™d call them semi open, they have that 3d grill. Thereā€™s some leak but ambient noise plus some distance should cover it.

Got them a day early, so I gave a brief listen to them today. Some overall thoughts, but not so much a real impression since I havenā€™t spent too long listening to them:

• Surprised by how light and delicate they seem to be. Remind me of my porta pros for some reason in terms of how delicate they make me think they are. It was a bit of a shock going from the solid build of a zmf to these. I was like, oh wait, yeah, I forgot not everything is built like that :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Accessory overload. Cool travel case plus a silky travel bag PLUS a smaller silky bag just for the cable. I thought that was funny. Even the cable gets to travel in style.
  • First impression is that they have an enjoyable warm sound sig. Only listened with the leather pads so far. Didnā€™t take long before I noticed some weirdness though. Sometimes they seem dark and sometimes not, kind of a bizarre thing going on in the treble. Instruments sound prominent, but vocals sound recessed or distant. Wonder how Iā€™ll feel about them later.
5 Likes

Those need a ton a burn in.

yeah i love that lol. when you buy headphones cheap and you see from the accessories that it used to cost a LOT more lol. the case that comes with it is nice. big too.

1 Like

from what i hear they are SUPER dark at first but then after like 150 hours or some shit it gets really good (though even 30 or 50 will probably be good)

Really enjoying these today. What a difference a day make, holy hell. Suede pads all the way, baby. Definitely a steal at $200.

3 Likes

Nighthawk gang rise up lol

5 Likes

@M0N I told people theeeeese were awesome! Yeah!
@Zaphain Iā€™m glad you like them. They are my favorite headphone pair. I find the bass is much better with the suede pads, as well as the comfort. The treble detail is still there and I love it. Lol I could go on forever about theeeeese.

2 Likes

I see youā€™ve been infected by the Zeos Virus. Iā€™m afraid there is no cure, but there is an audiopathic treatment that involves critically listening to theeeeese headphones.

4 Likes

They sound great on tubes too. My favorite is the Cayin HA-1A, sweetened up the mids just right, added an ethereal feel to the treble, and added a nice touch of reverb with a slightly longer decay to bass. When I closed my eyes, it sounded like I was surrounded by the music, rather than music coming ā€˜coming at meā€™.

2 Likes

No complaints here haha! If it is a virus, it is the best one I have ever had!

this is mostly a ā€œmaybeā€ buy for meā€¦ since i hear a lot of skepticism about these as much as the praise, mostly due to a lacking high end (what if these are just audiophile beats). but then again it seems i have tinnitus and horrible hearing (at least when testing on M50s with sine waves in audacity, sawtooth and square waves i can do full 20khz), good thing is the outward sound leak is apparently very small which i need because i live with parents and feel embarassed with the idea of them hearing me from 10 feet away with walls and a door closed (is that far enough for fully open backs to not be heard?). but i wonder if having these as an all the time pair of headphones would really be useful compared to another headphone that is a lot more versatile for all the stuff i do (watch youtube, play games, listen to a lot of genres.)

1 Like

I would say the highs on these may be slightly dialed down compared to the bass, but they still sound very clean with nice detail. They are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.
These are definitely not lacking in high end whatsoever. I take them over my KPH30i, and probably HD650 for enjoyable highs. Clean is the best way I can describe it. In no way are these ā€œaudiophile beatsā€, in no way. For between 200-250 dollars, these punch well above their price. I would highly recommend these, and they are my favorite (how many times have I said that? XD).
You certainly would not be disappointed with them. The M50x high and treble can be considered harsh compared to these.
I would say this would be a good companion for what you already have.

the thing is i dont really find the M50s that harsh or anythingā€¦ if anything they are just a bit too bright and not in a punchy way, they are easily the best for youtube videos to say the least

also those m50s are the only things i have so i dont have a lot of experience with HiFiā€¦ i just usually prefer dumb simple and loud most of the time (in my music and in my hearingā€¦ tbh i once said i preferred like 20 dollar skullcandys brightness and bass wise to the M50s)

If you want something that isnā€™t as bright, the Nighthawk Carbon are definitely not bright. Some classify them as dark, I would be a little cautious on calling them that though. The sub bass is elevated, they have really nice bass overall, with the biodynamic driver. They put you in this space that sounds like you are in a giant auditorium or something. Definitely not bright headphones though, I find they are good for relaxing or for fun. I think you might like them more than the M50x, and for the price, there isnā€™t much else like them.

2 Likes

Just unique and something definitely worth owning imo to sum them up, most headphones just donā€™t do what these do

1 Like

I saw a review on amazon that said they were audiophile beats too, maybe thatā€™s what youā€™re referencing? The only way someone might think something like this is if they didnā€™t put in the time to acclimate to them and just went off of initial reaction. FWIW, I didnā€™t find them super dark either at first, and still donā€™t.

1 Like

Meze 99 classics/neo/nior are audiophile beats

3 Likes

Now that is probably true from what I hear lol.