šŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

Thatā€™s how it was for the whole Nighthawk gang. Enjoy!!

1 Like

I think I might pick up a pair of Nightowlā€™s if I see them come up on eBay.

From reading about, I think the Nightowlā€™s have a more lively sound with them being closed back but still have a good feeling of air?

Iā€™ll be using them for listening to music while I work, mostly rap, R&B, rock. Definitely prefer a warmer signature as high treble hurts my ears and Iā€™ve seen the Audioquest headphones recommended a lot. Should be a nice music headphone to go with the Tygrā€™s that I use for gaming.

hello!
were you able to order your NH from the french site ?
in any case i hope so

No reply from them as yet, but over the weekend I picked up a pair of Meze 99 Classics for a good price on eBay so Iā€™ll leave the Audioquestā€™s. For now ā€¦ :grin:

Hey Nighthawk gang, I saw DMS video rating headphones. His description of the NH ā€œcomfortable. Very comfortable. Tuned by aliens. Not for Earth music.ā€ Haha! I laughed good and hard. We all love the NH for itā€™s unique sound signature. ā€¦and dat bass! Rock on gang.

2 Likes

If anyone in the UK decides to list their Nighthawkā€™s up for sale then Iā€™d appreciate a PM :grin:

last night i listened to arvo part and james blake and wow!!!the foot we say in French!!!it was incredible and yet i have an hold source and an hold amp,it makes me want to look for good material upstreamā€¦

what i can offer you if you are affraid of taxes is that you give my address in France and i will send it to you in ukā€¦

Thanks for the offer :grin: Unfortunately it doesnā€™t change the fact that Iā€™m importing something into the UK and would be subject to tax and customs. Ordering from within the EU just isnā€™t an option for the UK nowadays.

Iā€™ll keep an eye out though, they do seem to come up in the UK used but still in excellent condition. And the Meze 99ā€™s will keep me going until then.

Managed to get a used pair of Carbonā€™s in excellent condition for Ā£200 delivered so Iā€™m pleased with that. Also come with a balanced cable which Iā€™m curious to try as I was planning to pick up an ES100 or BTR5 anyway so I might as well try the balanced cable.

I originally bought Tygr 300Rā€™s for casual gaming. Then a pair of Meze 99 Classics arrived a few days ago and I really like those, they also run a lot better off a controller than the Tygrā€™s. So Iā€™m thinking I might move the Tygrā€™s on and keep the 99ā€™s for gaming and Nighthawkā€™s for music.

Unless the Nighthawkā€™s are also great off a controller, which would be ideal as Iā€™d just have one set that does it all.

4 Likes

Sounds like you got a good deal! Glad you are going to get to experience them. Report back and let us know your thoughts once you have had some time to listen to them. I believe they do benefit from burn in so keep that in mind. Not sure if yours are new or used so that may be a factor.

Donā€™t forget the mind burn in factor. Iā€™ve been rocking my Sivga P-ii. They have a slightly aggressive upper end and the NH Carbons seemed slightly boomy and veiled when I went back to them. I had a long session with them and they just swallow you. Falling in love once againšŸ¤Ŗ

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about ordering a lightning to 3.5mm cable for when these arrive. Originally I was thinking about getting an ES100 or BTR5 but reading around, it sounds like the Nighthawkā€™s run pretty well off an iPhone already.

So Ā£10 for a lightning to 3.5mm adapter, or Ā£100 for a BTR5 but improved sound quality and being able to use a balanced cable? Hmm.

They will probably do pretty well off the adapter, however I think they do benefit from a little more power. With better power they open up and the bass becomes a little more tight and controlled. The BTR5 should be pretty solid. I never picked it up but it was recommended to me early on when I first purchased the Nighthawks. Now I use them sometimes with my Lotoo Paw S1 with a balanced cable and it works really well when Iā€™m away from my main desktop stack.

2 Likes

Is the BTR5 something you would need for portable purposes? If not, and you have the budget, the Hawks to scale up like @Mr_Makua said. I have heard the Hawks on the BTR5, and it does do it justice for the price, but you can def do the hawks better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d say 95% of the time my listening is sat at the kitchen table while I work from home on a laptop. I do have to plug and unplug the laptop, move into another room when the kids come in to have snacks etc. So a static amp isnā€™t really an option.

The thinking with the BTR5 is that itā€™s portable in that it can be moved easily into another room when I have to take my laptop somewhere else. Iā€™m also not next to an obvious plug outlet, I have to stretch the laptop power cable over, so I couldnā€™t have an amp that plugs into mains either.

So ā€¦ BTR5 seems to fit the bill well I guess? I could plug it into my laptop when i know Iā€™ll be staying at the table for a while, or use Bluetooth when Iā€™m moving between rooms.

Always welcome to other suggestions though. I wouldnā€™t want to go over Ā£100 really.

Its very small, so very portable, but just about any portable amp/dac or DAP could do the trick really. If you want the most out of the Hawks i say go higher, but the BTR5 is solid :+1:

1 Like

Any other portable amps that youā€™d recommend? That are within budget? Iā€™ve considered the likes of the Dragonflyā€™s too, but that needs the Apple camera conversion kit and it all looks a bit messy cable-wise.

1 Like

ive used the ifi hip dac and the ibasso dx160 with the hawks and had good results

1 Like

I did consider the Hip Dac but wasnā€™t sure how portable it would be. Also a bit more expensive than Iā€™d like. Iā€™m also getting a 2.5mm balanced cable with my NHā€™s so that would work with the BTR5 but looks like the Hip Dac doesnā€™t have 2.5mm balanced.

1 Like