Aurora is the best. I will fight you if you disagree

Mediocre is a pretty foul term to use. I’ve seen her live and she was amazing.

Out of curiosity whom would you consider to be good? I’m trying to see where your standard for good is.

1 Like

Aurora is pretty good, and think she kind of reminds me of Susanne Sundfør, both in vocal performance and musical style (to a degree).

Susanne sundfør with Røyksopp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMlJ78-7rZ4
Susanne Sundfør - Walls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAl8wGf3kg (from her first album, a bit more mellow)

I’ve actually listened to her before. Spotify constantly tried to recommend her to me, but for some reason, she just didn’t float my boat. Doesn’t mean she’s bad, because she’s quite good, just doesn’t hit my ears the way I like. I can’t remember what song it was, but there is one song of hers I did enjoy very much.

A lot of times Marina and the Diamonds pops up too, but again it’s the same thing. She’s got a good voice, but it doesn’t F with my head like Aurora’s voice does. I will say that for some reason or another Hermit the Frog is my favorite song of hers.

EDIT: It was BLACK WIDOW. That was Susanne’s song that I liked.

1 Like

She kind of has a Florence vibe to me. I really like her cover of Teardrop

1 Like

Yeah… there is a bit of Florence in there i would say :slight_smile:

I’ve had Aurora in my playlist for about 2 years now,ever since Stern interviewed her. I suggested Zeos use her like a year ago for sound demos. She has amazing range and sounds great live. She did a cover of David Bowie’s life on Mars on the show and it was amazing. As far as personality she a lil off the beaten path. I dig her though.

Freddy Mercury, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Shania Twain, Frank Sinatra, Adele, Johnny Cash, Luciano Pavarotti, Ray Charles, Etta James, Nina Simone, Amy Winehouse(when she wasn’t drunk on stage), James Brown, Billy Joel and the list can go on…
I am not denying young talents from recent years but the overall quality has droped the last 2 decades simply because nowadays it doesn’t matter how good your voice is if you don’t sell and make money!
Oh and if you don’t know what makes a great voice i will give you some theory on that:
for a person to have a great voice and talent it needs to have resonance, a good tone, clear enunnciation, a good vibrato, a suitable volume( no need to scream all the time) , consistency, self - awareness and range( know your bounderies) , good hearing, breathing and not to mention sound like it seems easy and so on…
Just because an artist impresses you and manages to wake up emotions on you does not mean it has a great voice.
I was not stating that Aurora is a bad singer after i listened to some songs but she definetely has just an average quality voice.

1 Like

The final product of an oficial song that is out on the market is tuned and fixed of all possible imperfections!!! How can you say live performance does not matter you imbecile?! That’s the point of any great artist …have you listened how poorly some artists and musicians sing on live performances??? A singer’s music has to sound mindblowing outside the studio otherwise anyone can go sing and have everything tuned so you can enjoy the analog bullshit at home !!! Just because you like it doesn’t mean we all do…
I wouldn’t have “fight” you on this argument if you just said she has a wonderfull voice or a good voice or her voice brings you joy- I did it because you said the best voice ever !!!

I am now listening to her and very much liking what i am hearing. appreciate the share

@Alexandru_Jurj Chill homie! Sheesh!

@RandomStrata Thanks for the suggestion on Aurora. Very cool stuff. Honestly she is one of those artists that i can tell why people dig her and, even though i listen to stuff along the same vein, i just can’t seem to get into! Like, i wanna like it! What else you got along these lines??

1 Like

So basically you’re an old curmudgeon yelling at those damn kids to turn down that damn hippty hoppity.

I get it, I’ve been thinking the same thing about music lately and that’s what I’ve been struggling with. It’s hard to find new music that sounds good. It seems like there are fewer and fewer artists now of days that are producing anything of quality or substance.

At the same time music is something that is unique to each individual. One person is going to sit there and say ‘Oh my god have you heard Nina Simone’ while another is going to say ‘Have you heard Nina Simone, lay off the ciggs honey’. Let’s be real though, who doesn’t love Nina’s music? It’s completely subjective to the individual and some people may even think Singer X has a crap voice but at the same time, they can agree that the Music itself is good or that the music only works because of the singer’s voice.

Other people like a particular style or genre and tend to think that anyone that doesn’t fit within their desired interests is just OK or MEH. You, for instance, appear to like a particular style of music and I think that’s skewing your perception. I know that my perception is skewed and that I tend to be dismissive towards certain artists. Hell, I yell out ‘That’s shit, turn it off or I’ll murder everyone in a 5 block radius’ every time I hear Billie Eilish or 21 Pilots. Miley Cyrus, for instance, is one singer whom I have always thought was just flat out horrible. Then one day I heard her sing Dolly Parton’s Jolene and I was taken aback. Surprised you had Shania Twain on your list but not Dolly Parton, whom I think is worlds above Twain.

It’s obvious you didn’t understand the thread as I was clearly being hyperbolic and just trying to share a new artist that I found and have enjoyed immensely. The rest of the people in this thread seemed to have understood that.

1 Like

No…you got it all wrong!!!
I was so clear…i like a lot of genres of music…i wasn’t criticising the music you are listening too ( i was not trying to convince you that what you listen is wrong!!!). You however made the stupid statement that Aurora is the best ! (which there isn’t such thing as The Best). I don’t have anything against hippies or young people (i am young by the way) or what they’re listening too…i’m criticising the quality of music that’s all! I don’t care if you listen to Marylin Manson or Celine Dion or Trance music! Just don’t make stupid statements!

I don’t get the meaning of this thread’s statement. A true audiophile knows it’s impossible to point a single best artist or composer. There are countless great ones for sure.
Similarly, if you were to ask me which were my favorite pieces of music from my collection of over 5000, it would not be possible for me do decide unless I can select at least 200 candidates.

2 Likes

you should probably listen to this

Thanks for putting me onto Aurora, not all of her music is for me, but there are some killer tracks in her discography. Any recommendations for where to get FLACs of her music from?

Try Qobuz for FLACs. They seem to have multiple different "Aurora"s so make sure you are getting the right one . . .

1 Like

On first listen this is a great recommendation. Wonderful voice and phrasing.

Also, she’s my kind of kooky. Good stuff!!!

Great find, dude! Will binge watch her stuff in the near future.

To be honest, when I heard the clips of Aurora, her voice reminded me of Norah Jones. I like folk but I guess I prefer a more sultry, jazzy singer in that timbre:
Norah Jones - Turn Me On

I’m with Alexandru_Jurj on this. She’s not bad, but she ain’t outstandingly good either, sorry. Same goes for the music itself and the production. Not bad but not outstandingly good. Which, funnily enough, I think, is exactly what “mediocre” means. The fact that any song of hers I’ve tried has massive reverb on her vocals also doesn’t help.

That is not to say that her music can’t touch anyone in any way - I can clearly hear how it actually can. But then again, it seems replaceable within its niche.

:studio_microphone::droplet:

1 Like