Aurora is the best. I will fight you if you disagree

At first I was going to respond by just copy and pasting your post and explain the difference between genre and style, I was even going to replace keywords to convey the absurdity of your post but as I was typing it I realized how aggressive it was coming off.

Basically my post is akin to someone saying “This place makes the BEST burgers”. I assumed it would be treated as such, but clearly not everyone understands this. So it’s quite possible this is a colloquialism used only by people on the US West Coast or maybe it’s just an American culture thing.

I was going to simply ignore you to defuse the situation, but others have chimed in with the same confusion. Therefore you have a valid point, or at least others share your same concern. This is really the only reason I’m responding to you now.

Perhaps in the future I’ll add a “True Audiophile Disclaimer” at the end of my posts so as not to offend.

3 Likes

Does she have an acoustic album out? Or just acoustic performances on YouTube

There are only a couple acoustic songs she does so far. To my knowledge she’s only been doing this for a little over 3 years now. I was blown away by her recent performance in SF, she’s an amazing performer to watch/listen live.

She just released a third album and I’m not liking it so far. then again her second album was far different from the first and I didn’t like it until I listened to it a few times so perhaps the third one just needs a few listens. Her Genre and Style isn’t really something I listen to so I think that’s why it takes me some time to get into it. Then again I am musically illiterate so it takes me a while to understand what the hell a song is about or to really appreciate it. I’m really only listening to it for her voice.

She’s okey, but I think capital bra has better vocals.

Actually, you might be right about the cultural thing. From what I understand (correct me if I’m wrong), US Americans like their superlatives. Most of the rest of the world, it seems, uses these a bit more frugally.

At any rate, as a German, yes, I take semantics seriously. If someone uses a superlative, i.e. “the BEST”, then I will treat it as such. The thing about something being the best in its category, however the category might be framed, is that there is no single better thing - that’s pretty much the definition of “the best”. So if the category framing is broad and the expression of opinion is decorated with “I will fight you if you disagree”, which does a really great job of reinforcing the gravity of the superlative, then, yeah, this might slightly itch anyone who’s not coming from a culture, where superlatives are used in an inflationary fashion.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad you understood what I was trying to convey here.

:smiley:

1 Like

Despite the surprising number of people who didn’t realize you were being facetious with the thread title, I think you still had the right approach. This thread continues to be ranked at the top. Maybe I should start using inflammatory titles as well LOL

1 Like

works for the media around the world, sooo :wink:

I like her voice her style isn’t my favorite but the voice definitely suits it so I can’t really at all knock her on that. while evryone has their opinons on who the best is and cause music and what we enjoys is super subjective in my subjective opnion I have heard better because personally I think her stle while a great listen aint for me therefore aint he best in my charts.

It’s certainly effective at attracting attention, as long as you don’t care what kinds of attention are you gathering😃. For example, some people might not listen to her out of spite now, when normally they would be like “meh”.

1 Like

Actually stumbled upon her in a random playlist couple of weeks agoo, and today i saw this post, and i will have to agree! Amazing stuff!

Would like to find the acustic versions on some streamin service though, anyone have links?

she’s okay. what’s her music classified as for genre?

hmmm…Home reminds me of Johnny Hollow.

Years ago I had my music library orgainzed by Genre->Artist->Album. But I just spent too much time anguishing over genre lines.

What do you call Amy Winehouse? R&B? Jazz? Pop??!?

Are the Beastie Boys rap? Alternative? Hip Hop?

What on Earth is Vampire Weekend??

Are the Black Crows blues or rock?

Do you even have a “Rock” genre or break it down into sub genres? Where to draw the line between classic and modern rock?

What about when an artist crosses over, like Faith Hill? Two different genres for the same artist or stick to one?

I just gave up.

1 Like

well surely there is something basic she falls into. :stuck_out_tongue: gives me ideas for other artists to look up :wink:

Pop? Folk? Alternative? All work.

Is the artist’s core audience the deciding factor on which side of the line they fall? How they present themselves stylistically? It’s a rabbit hole that just keeps going! :smile:

I file her under “A”

1 Like

I think the language debate here is more about style and slang than anything else. I’ve seen a lot of “XXXXXX” is “superlative.” It’s a mode of speech to identify a position, not a statement of absolute anything.

It is cultural though. “the best” is a superlative language-wise no matter how you look at it. And in lots of other cultures superlatives are reserved for the literal best because identification of a position is done more nuanced than just bluntly touting something as “the best” or “the worst”… The latter really is a US American thing for the most part

2 Likes

Eivor accepts the challenge!

1 Like

I like it :smiley:

Don’t know what she’s saying, but I’m diggin the sound.

Edit: Turns out there are a few songs in English, I prefer the songs where I can’t understand her.

1 Like

I didn’t didn’t hear of Aurora so thank you for sharing too! :grinning:

1 Like