AV Receivers Discussion

I guess filmic is a cinephile word. What does it mean? True to life? :stuck_out_tongue:

As of having the imagistic qualities of Photochemical film

Richer color, with more depth in shadow detail
Natural highlight falloff
Expanded flexible dynamic range
Loss detail falls into grain so it doesnt feel harsh or artificial

No film or digital capture medium actually captures true to life. Its accentuation of elements that feel more or less authentic but still remain within the realm of stylization

1 Like

Guess im the typical HT geek, buy 4k blurays i enjoy to watch, But will purchase a stinker if the material will extract performance out of the gear.

Theres a battle scene in lawrence of arabia where the king is on a horseback with a plane overhead. For a second the bandwith caught up and goddamn did it looked like a print fresh from the photomat (least how i remember what film print looks like) Cheap LED through a apple 4ktv. Want to get my hands on the bluray but not willing fork out for the box set.

Still rocking my 1080p Panasonic plasma and loving it!

I agree the jump from 1080p to 4K to (soon) 8K has been really fast. The advancement in display tech is outpacing the distribution medium tech and (apparently) the camera tech (thanks for the insight @PABastien). Iā€™ll also add that the jump from 1080p even to 8K is likely a smaller jump in magnitude of perceived quality than the jump from 480i NTSC format to 1080p HD - I still drop my jaw sometimes at the images my 1080p plasma puts out. I just donā€™t know that any of that warrants the dismissal or ā€œscamā€ claims, though. Once upon a time, people asked why anyone needs a 10MHz CPU. If the tech isnā€™t truly needed or wanted, it will fade (3D TV, anyone? :rofl:).

1 Like

Yeah, 8k cameras only became a thing around Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Another thing to point is that at the end of the day while the files they send to theatres and for streaming and pressing are TECHNICALLY 4K, 90 percent of all master output files in digitally shot CGI heavy movies are 2k because of the amount of render time it takes to finish the picture

1 Like

What are benefits if any of higher resolutions when it comes to CGI in the future as processing improves. Do avatars start to look hella real ?

Really not much. More clairty. Also a good reason why 2k is the standard is a lot of theatres sit on upgrading to 4k (literally have them in closets) is because the set up fee and bulb cost gives them Poor ROI
most commercial theatres are running 2k projectors from about 2012 still

So its like hi-res audio, in a blind taste test you cant hear the difference anything higher than cd quality ?

heard or read somewhere studios are scanning catalog titles in 10k for preservation. interesting to see what tech if any will be able to utilize resolutions higher than 4k.

Not sure what comparison youā€™re making here, but I want to address this hi-res audio comment. We can hear the difference between CD and hi res audio eventually. A complicating issue is we often interpret the added information a hi-res audio includes - subtle reverbs and other fine details - as additional noise. It takes some practice with familiar material to really hear those details and know them for what they are. Many blind-test methodologies are flawed insofar as not allowing sufficient time for listeners to appreciate those subtler, finer details.

Video is different. Human brains are much better processing visual patterns than auditory patterns.

The 10K scanning thing is interesting. That wonā€™t improve the image quality over what the film already is, but will be a ridiculously accurate and detailed reproduction of whatā€™s on the film.

1 Like

With ultra high res scanning its less for Presentation than it is for Archival work. Since Filmā€™s commercial ties have resulted in the people who distribute it seeing it as inherently disposable, archivists put a huge amount of effort into finding ways to preserve, restore and play back in manners that will effectively ā€œfuture proof itā€ against changing digital formats
So that way having a ten K scan you will be able to print/output copies in any display resolution to come as long as the container it is delivered in can hold it.
The other reason is that getting a scan higher res than 35 mm allows archivists to print it to highly stable polymer film stock which wont decay like digital storage. effectively, printed film on this stock if properly stored will last a 1000 years
This is what a film archivist I used to talk to told me

3 Likes

Interesting. I had no idea such polymer stock existed. We learn about more than audio here at HFGF!

2 Likes

yeah a lot of archivists basically say physical film is the only medium that can survive the total collapse of society because a Film trapped on a hard drive is unwatcheable with out a computer and wont last longer than 10 years before needing a new drive to contain it but the long lasting film stock. Anyone who finds it can hold it up to the light and see the recorded image

1 Like

Going down the resolution rabbit hole theres a 40k digital camera . Dont know if humans can see the jump in 4 to 40k but i want it. Cant tell the difference between 44/16 and 192/24 but i have it.

Hope the 2020 reciever plan on getting will survive the zombie apocalypse long enough to utilize the 8k hdmi 2.1 imput.

If this is a still camera then its meant for taking photos that are meant to be printed on building sized billboards

Video, think one of the uses is to do away with green screen. Nutty stuff is coming.

and i thought i was? Since i buy blurays, not even 4k ones just for the audio.
I really enjoy the surround experience and low bass rumbles with good movies. Some movies just for the audio experience and not the visual or plot of movie.
Really really good movies usually tend to have both. :heart:
Specially how the Auro3D coding produces the sound around me and how the powered speakers blast waves of goosebumps everywhere. So good,so good.

Thats another can of worms in that the sound guys are lazy with the surround mixing. I secretly think less of a person if i go to their home, see a big panel and no AVR, Boo. :-1::grin:

Some reviews of the new line from Denon coming out.

How do you guys feel about whathifi.com, generally good reviews or?

Cool. I will rest easier with the knowledge that works of art such as Charlieā€™s Angels: Full Throttle, The 2nd Tansformers movie, and the remake of Total Recall with Colin Ferrell will live forever! :rofl: