AV Receivers Discussion

Well also the restoration of the first adaptation of frankenstein made by Edison in like 1915
Apocalypse Now/Coppola’s Filmography
Blade Runner
Scorsese’s restorations of the Archer’s Films
Samsara/Baraka
Basically anything held by the library of congress
etc

2 Likes

Apocalypse looks good on 4k
Bladrunner 4k final cut looks and sounds fantastic.

Barry lyndon needs a 4k
Conan the barbarian is another.
So many titles need to get a 4k release.

story going around from a german website all the 2020 recievers with 2.1 hdmi have a hardware problem with the chipset.
Yamaha denon/marantz.

Yes, looks like it might be more brands, seems all of them picked the same chipset for HDMI.

Those three are all owned by the same parent company so I can see it

Yamaha is part of sound united, thats a new one.

Skuttlebutt is the panasonic chip cant pass uncompressed signal, Its shaping up to be a bloodbath. Wew, glad the internet got this out before cyber monday. My claw has been over the buy button for months.:flushed:

was hoping someone like Emotiva or Monolith would get out a receiver or processor with 2.1 but that’s looking unlikely

Think the nad is modular and can swap in a expansion slot.

I hear conflicting things about NAD’s sound quality

the room correction is suppose to be great on all the high end stuff and the other big thing is to use the preouts to run amps.

The forums have been reporting 2019-20 denons test better than marantz due to a filter to get the “musical” sound on the marantz. If not for the 2.1 chip snafu denons 3700 is being called the best preamp bargin ever.

Are they?
I thought Yamaha Corporation is the owner of Yahama.
Marantz and Denon being under Sound United, LLC or DEI Holdings Inc as the top.
Info also mentioned on AV-Forums 2.1 link, just under.

What is your source for the info?
Chip might be same still on all 3 companies, from same chip manufacturer.

Still. Nice to see that being too early on 2.1 HDMI update would have backfired badly. :slight_smile:
Wait for few years and then see what’s on the market is still good idea.

I was thinking could this have some relationship to GPU problems on the new 3080 etc cards?
Might have cording to AV-forum.

Except both the 3080 cards and the new Xbox work directly into the JVC TV’s, just not in 4K/120 through the receiver.
I can’t see anyone providing evidence outside of a broadly distributed YouTube video that the issue is related to uncompressed 4K/120, and since no TV or source supports compressed I’m interested in how they came to that conclusion.
Denon/Marantz put out a statement saying they were investigating and would provide a fix later, Yamaha is still promising a firmware update in December to add 4K/120.
I’d certainly hold off if you were intending to actually use 4K/120 sources which is basically PS5/Xbox and PC at this point, and need them to be routed through the receiver.
The fact the JVC4K/120 TV’s don’t support DTS through eARC doesn’t improve the situation.

Darn, wanted a xbox.

Yes, this is rather annoying, I wanted to upgrade to get proper 4k support for blu-ray playback, don’t care that much about the 120hz option at the moment but didn’t want to buy a older spec receiver since 4k 120hz receivers were coming soon.

Will be interesting to see how the brands respond, if they will switch out the HDMI chipset mid product run or simply let it be until the next product refresh next year.

1 Like

Re-watching in a new light HT podcasts with the sound united reps promo of 2020 line of receivers. Together with the problem people are having and the configuration of 2.1 on D/M recievers its almost as if they knew beforehand theres going to be a bug. Oof

Yamaha released its entry level 2.1 recievers but is mum on the avantage-line with muti-2.1 imputs. Wonder if its due to the digital bug and not the bioligical one.

Just got my Yamaha TSR-700 two days ago. Hooked up my mini theater room (11 x 14) with RB 42s, Veladyne 15 inch sub and Epson projector on 120 inch screen. Crossed it all over at 80Hz and it sounds amazing. For anyone that wants a small theater with huge, amazing, big theater sound with simple set I recommend this highly. The detail and depth of sound will keep you happy for a long time.

1 Like

Yamaha posted on its website the new avantage A2A 7.1 8k AVR (future update).
MSRP $799.00

Looks better than the normal line, that line through the middle breaks up the front so it’s not just a flat surface.

Pretty much identical specs to the RX-V6A.

Looks like the 11ch will be a 2021 model.lol
Its a wash for me tired of waiting, looking to pick up a deep discounted 2019 denon save up for real 2.1 hdmi gear.

Some good reports coming out from the ongoing chipgate saga.

The PS5 is successful passing 4k120 through denon/marantz 2.1 AVRs on LG oled 2.1 panels.