Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

I didn’t see them… could you tell me more?:roll_eyes:

Again, sorry about that. Just saw the notification here hours after it was sorted.

I was nosing around that thread at Head Fi and found this amusing…

“Never trust a man whose favorite song is Marvin Gaye-Sexual Healing”

@Rikudou_Goku & @hawaiibadboy

Would either of you mind sharing what we would need to make our own measurements with our earphones?

So do I. I’m in New York. You?

1 Like

Get an IEC711 (input) like this: Precision Artificial Ear IEC711 Frequency Response Curve Tester Artificial Ear 318 4 Headphone Tester|Personal Care Appliance Parts| - AliExpress

1. Connect it to an external soundcard, no other adapters needed.

or

1. Connect it to a dongle, but you will need adapters.

(that splitter is needed)
    A splitter like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RML676M

Then run it with REW (free software).

The iem itself is connected to your regular setup (output).

EDIT: This is Vortex Reviews´ setup:
Vortexsetup

4 Likes

Thanks @Rikudou_Goku I think I’ll continue the discussion with you on Discord.

1 Like

Presumably you’d try to use the same tips, source, and volume level for all readings, right?

Side question, and hoping the can of worms is only slightly opened – has anyone done readings with different cables to show they actually have an effect on sound? Different tips would give different results (confirming the obvious hypothesis that different canals affect sound waves differently). For all the debate over cables affecting bass/mids/highs, do people regraph with different cables to try to settle it? Either they affect the frequencies leaving the headphone or they don’t, it’s that simple. You’d think this would settle the issue instead of “you hear a difference but I don’t, who knows?

The claims that are made, like “warmer” or “softer treble” are all clearly observable in a graph if they do exist. Graphing different physical mods (foam, mesh, etc.) chart differently, backing up any claimed made about them.

Heck maybe that’s why those with the greatest cable faith seem to have chart aversion? Same way crystal healers might shy away from a double blind study.

The measuring setup (dac,amp,etc) is the same. But some iems need other tips, although I mostly measure with the Final Audio Type E or the Elecom EHP-CAP20 tips as they are the tips I use the most.

Volume level isnt that important as you can adjust the volume after you measured it. (like if you measured at 90 db with one iem and 70 db with another, you can just normalize them at 1khz at a specific db afterwards.)

I have, and zero differences unless its a BA iem and the cables have different resistances. Even then, it isnt a guarantee.

You can clearly see a difference here.

but nothing here.

different tips do make a difference.

But in graphs they dont have a drastic change.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply with these great examples!

1 Like

I’ll say somewhere in the Middle East.

Wait that sounds wrong…

1 Like

Sorry that’s a snip from another iconic classic anti war, anti Vietnam War , anti black on black crime, child neglect, racial strife. Before Social Justice Keyboard Warrior was ever a thing some folks put their career on the line ( They would not release his album because of it’s messaging) he would not finish the record deal till they did and his single

It opens with the ambient noise of a party; it’s a homecoming for a Vietnam veteran. Beneath the celebration, there’s uneasiness.

The central theme of “What’s Going On” and the album of the same name came from Marvin Gaye’s own life. When his brother Frankie returned from Vietnam, Gaye noticed that his outlook had changed. He put himself in his brother’s shoes and wrote a song that stands among the most tuneful works of consciousness-raising in American music.

Mocked for a Marvin Gaye song.
I’ll take that hit everyday.
What a fucking hobby.

GeekWold gets a video now.

7 Likes

Give em hell!

2 Likes

Mics have calibration files
If the mic has a problem it will manifest itself in all graphs to some extent

5 Likes

OMG the graph is the graph!

1 Like

Folks are getting crazy with claims of something going on besides a mic measuring earphones.
That mic is calibrated.
It does NOT apply ANY extra emphasis to bass region.
That’s the way it is
End of story.

They just posted a graph they think is “right”.

To me the curve still looks a lot like yours. Going to lay this over in photoshop and compensate it.

1 Like

1 Like

It doesn’t have the same dip between 5 -8 K and the peak at around 9 K but… yeah…

2 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

Odd question, given the same source file, same dac, amp, no EQ changes… can a different IEM just cut off the trailing edge of a note?