Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

Funny coincidence this week @hawaiibadboy

Was re-watching your video on the ThieAudio Oracle recently as I was considering getting a pair.

Well lucky I am. Found a set second hand locally, like new, for less than 450$. Asked if they can reserve it for me and they said yes. Gonna be mine at the end of the month :))

2 Likes

@hawaiibadboy I unfortunately have a worse story than the EVO dirty bubble wrap.
the award goes to Giztop (https://www.giztop.com/) Adding the link so you really donā€™t buy from there.

I ordered the Fiio M17 from them as it was in stock.
What a mistake.

-They opened the box, they say it was to verify the product.
-They removed the screen protector, the product is covered of fingerprints, dirt, and micro scratch.
-The USB C cable is missing
-The inside of the box is dirty as well
-The device was left on, proof that they did use it and did not even turn it off.

Now, they are even disputing to reimburse or give any discount. So before I reach Fiio themselves for the poor practices of this reseller, I wanted to share here, to be sure nobody else is cheated as I am.

Somehow my worst unboxing experience in Audio.

8 Likes

Damn,
Hope it gets resolved.

Jack Vang never sent me the covers for the Empire Ears EVO.
Nothing.
No follow up
No nothing

I hope you get better service than I got.

6 Likes

I wish we would compete for best services rather than which one is the worst!
I had to send 3 times the pictures of the scratches.

I like one definition of Integrity:
-Doing the right thing when nobody is looking.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty epic that you posted that.

Friends ( I have few ) since the term is light and is without meaning for many, the word ā€œfriendsā€ I mean.

This hobby is just a microcosm of the world at large.
Watch a video of a (seemingly) stable rational person give a thoughtful opinion on gear, and then read the twitter rants and passive aggressive stuff from the same dude. :thinking:

Would you be friends with a person who cheated on his girlfriend or wife?
Why?
How can you expect anymore honesty than the person they sleep with and share their dreams with?
So they will lie if needed, it is just a matter of when. When it suits them.
(Red Flag)
I cut them outta my life.

Ya know, the Old Italians used to punish and sometimes kill the members who broke their vows to their spouse.
Why?
Because an angry woman with lots of info is a dangerous thing.
Because that guy broke an oath under God. At an event they likely attended.
You lie to your womanā€¦you can lie to the Family/Outfit.
(Red Flag)

Ancient bit of Math/correlating based on historical data gathered by all human tribes over time.

WTF is this ramble about??

Your words are almost exactly the ones I have told many over the course of my life about who people really are.
It is simple
It makes sense
The listener should get it.
ā€œWhat you do or donā€™t do, when no one is looking, and will never know, is who you areā€
Get it?

That is why I hate DM. Always spirals into a person showing their fucked up brokeness and once i know I canā€™t forget

artworks-000027232357-iem2g7-t500x500

I am here to use my ears and library to give my opinion on audio gear.
Iā€™m not anyones friend. That means jack shit to me.
I look over folks shoulder (not eye contact) as they pass unless they gazeā€¦then i lock on em till they look away or big drama is about to fall on them right there.
People see the eyes and avert and avoid.
Ever see a seemingly normal dude and lock eyes and feel something is wrong?
Iā€™m that guy.

But I love music
Donā€™t give a shit about making hobby friends
And it works for me and them.

That quote totally triggered me.
That is so simple and spot on.

Since you brought that, let me bring this.
Ever look in a mirror.
(of course you have)
Really look into your own eyes.
up close 2 inches from your nose close, and look into your own pupils.
Try it.
When I am doing bad inside, the eyes show me, they confirm or make me think about what is up with me.
When I do that and start sizing myself upā€¦Iā€™m doing goodā€¦deeply.

Sound crazy?
Wellā€¦the whole ā€œhow can you even look at yourself in a mirrorā€ or ā€œThe mirror donā€™t lieā€
came from somewhere.

8 Likes

I stick to my own morality, as I am the person I donā€™t want to disappoint. I definitely donā€™t believe in global standards, it ends up with trading off and giving up something.
If you want to do an earphones that pleases the most, you end up with airpods
The best headphones for you will probably displease a lot, but thatā€™s fine.

Cool discussion, especially considering I try to be less pissed so I enjoy the sound without strong bias.

2 Likes

Glad you put strong and not ā€œnoā€ right there

I read and watch people talk about being given _____ or paid to______ and it creating no bias :man_facepalming:

Imagine being able to turn off the human switch.
Cool trick

2 Likes

Sure about that? I havenā€™t heard of this player before, though Iā€™m thinking to give it a try after your post.

1 Like

Is Giztop an authorized dealer of FiiO?

https://www.fiio.com/WHERETOBUY

https://check.fiio.com/

Looks like they will take care but you have to pay to ship

And we can consider that Giztop a ghetto grey/black market that deserves no business

Yes Iā€™m am sure. If you scour the net youā€™ll see many have the very same impressions as me.
Amarra worst UI by far but most organic, true to life sound. Itā€™s so smooth and analogue. Pay attention to the highs to spot the difference and go down in frequency from there. Another big thing Amarra does is it detaches the sound from the speaker so that it allows the speaker to more easily perform the ā€œdisappearing actā€.

Amarra is great for both speakers and IEMs and headphones.

Another big thing Amarra does is it detaches the sound from the speaker so that it allows the speaker to more easily perform the ā€œdisappearing actā€.

I think youā€™ve lost me on that part?

The last 12hrs on this thread has lost me too :rofl:

9 Likes

8 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes
1 Like

Ok so Iā€™ve spent the past 2 days listening to the BL-05s after not using for like 6 months. So weird, maybe itā€™s a case of brain burn-in and also some perspective on my part.
Using CP100+ in L instead of M gets me a good seal and good bass. I think that I was using too small tips before but also when I got them initially I was coming from E2000 which is warm and bloated. So they always seemed to bright. Now Iā€™m comparing them directly to the DQ6 which has less bass and yeah they slam, nice and bassy but clean/not muddy and they have air which I never noticed before.
Pretty cool!!

3 Likes

Congrats for the seal! Seal matters everything with every set, and the BL-05s just has a narrow nozzle that needs a large tip size. Once you get the seal, itā€™s incredible how the bass thumps and the space opens up. I too find myself feeling certain sets sound odd after listening to another set for too long; the brain does some willy wonka stuff to our senses for sure :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

So with Spotify I can tell that the music is playing from each speaker, the highs give it away. Amarra diffuses the sound in such a way that you canā€™t tell the music is coming from a specific point. Thatā€™s what I mean by ā€œdisappearing actā€. Itā€™s a common phrase in the speaker world.

OMGā€¦ so they sounded better with the right tips and brain burn-in BUT after A/B testing with some other IEM I noticed that something was off with the sound, especially the left side. I read online that sometimes the polarity is wrong so I reversed the left earpiece cable and voila they sound how they should. Once I receive my Oxygen I will the cable on the BL-05s.

1 Like