Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

Finally. Mine is arriving today/tomorrow. Impressions? …and what is this about saving our money for Thursday???

1 Like

Is THIS the big news Thursday?

I just placed an order for Bifrost 2 + Jot 2 last week. Hoping to get them in to try myself in a few days.

If this is the big news people are saving money for, come your Thursday announcement/video, then I’m a very happy camper.

Simon ese! Orale homie!

1 Like
5 Likes

New here… Don’t have any rec’s for your budget chifi list at this time, just wanted to give you TOP RESPECT for your music-based reviews. I relate to your library, have heard some in person. Aerosmith and Lynyrd Skynyrd at the RKO Orpheum Theatre in Davenport, IA was one crazy night many years ago.

I purchased the Blon BL01 on your rec, and you were right-on! Thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks man. :pray:
I appreciate it. I woulda loved to have seen Ronnie and the boys life.
I enjoy sharing that music with folks who may not know or for who’m it triggers memories. Like you.

Enjoy the Music! :fire:

1 Like

@hawaiibadboy You cost me much cash!

4 Likes

Try using the SE output of the jot2. They say is warmer sounding than the balanced output. Like a “better” Asgard 3. :slight_smile:

#notsorry :upside_down_face:
What a beast and fantastic pairing with Hifiman and also Utopia which is not same level as the Hifiman IMO but it loves that Jotty 2 :fire:

1 Like

any audible hiss with sensitive iem?

I will probably check IEM tonight. This was bought for headphones. If it plays nice with IEM that will be cool but RME ADi is my IEM rig still

Well what’s your opinion? I think it’s a lot work and it’s very fussy, but I’ll own part of it I’ve got too many DAC’s on my Mac. But when it works right I do like Honey H1.

What software do you use on your desktop to organize and play your music library?

Just messing. Coming from a THX 789, the Jotunheim 2 has been one of the largest factors that has made a considerable audible difference in my audio chain for the better/more enjoyable.

I’ve used it with the new FOCAL Clear MG mostly. I did pop the Monarch in for a little bit and they blew my new Clears away. Beautiful sounding amp. Enjoy yours bro! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
7 Likes

This is the Thursday big deal but on Wednesday?

Yup.
I guess they will give details tomorrow?
It’s my personal fave IEM (MEST ver 1 JP/CIEM) Always thought the Intl was totally knee capped by fit.
This adressses that and more.

2 Likes

so… This is a smaller version with a similar tuning to the original Japanese version? What about pricing?

I personally wasn’t a fan of the American tuning for the price. If I recall, from your descriptions, you preferred the JP tuning?

As always, thanks for the info.

1 Like

Something eventually clicked in my brain after you mentioned listening at 77dB that goes back to your Harman target video. Listening level isn’t only about whether or not one can hear certain details (which you focus on so well). It can also affect the preferred target frequency response, due to Equal-loudness Contours.

Sorry, kind of a wall of text. I tried to cut it down, not sure it still makes sense. Here’s a very relevant colorful image, I know you like those :sweat_smile:

It took me a little while to decipher, so to put it shortly: listening to headphones at a level where a 1kHz tone measures 80dB sounds nearly 40dB quieter at 20Hz. Compare to a listener listening at 60dB@1kHz: 20Hz sounds 50dB quieter than 1kHz. That’s only 10dB, below the threshold of hearing. Whilst it seems like people don’t want 20Hz to sound the same perceived loudness as 1kHz (I’ve never seen any target FR with that much bass boost), the 60dB@1kHz listener might want as much as a 10dB boost at 20Hz compared the 80dB@1kHz listener. Of course, the second listener might not have any music that even reproduces that frequency, so it could be irrelevant for them. This is exactly why library is important and I’m a fan of yours for focusing on the music. Fortunately, it seems as though the treble side of the curve doesn’t change quite so much.

If I look at your Kinera Norn graph (just happened to be recent), it seems as though you calibrate to 50dB@1kHz. That tells me you might not be getting the same FR when you actually listen. It would be cool to verify whether or not that’s the case, and if it changes between single driver and multi driver sets (maybe crossovers can compensate), driver types, headphones vs IEMs, etc.

5 Likes

yeah, its called the fletcher munsion curve. The louder you use, the more v-shaped you perceive the sound. Which means that if you are a low volume listener, a v-shaped iem is better than a neutral iem since it evens out (low-volume = more mids).

2 Likes