Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

I’ll have one up soon :+1:

1 Like

Just an active update on my recent headphone journey:
HiFiman Susvara (S)

HiFiman HE6SE (A) (grill mod)

FOCAL Clear (A-)

HiFiman Arya (B+)
Goldplanar GL80 (B+)

FOCAL Utopia (B) *ngl, huge dissapointment
Goldplanar GL2000 (B)
Massdrop 58x (B)

HiFiman HE1000se (B-)
Senn HD660s (B-)

SENN HD800 (C+)
SONY Z1R (C+) * Before stealth re-tune?*
Hifiman Sundara (C+)

HarmonicDyne Helios (C-)
Sendy Aiva (C-)
AKG K371 (C-)

Harmonic Dyne Zeus (D)

Meze, several AUDEZE and Dan Clark and Kennerton and others on the way and will get ranked later. Will make a whole ranking spreadsheet this month adding older sets I already reviewed

9 Likes

Some people have been modifying the GL2000’s by removing a couple sheets of paper behind the drivers. Easy mod with a small screwdriver. One paper is freely floating and easy to take out and put back as wanted, but the other one is slightly glued to the back of the driver’s chassis.

I went and removed both papers. Others were saying it made a “world of difference” to them to do both. Not sure if it really changed that much for me, but could be worth trying out.

I might give that a try eventually, thanks :+1:

1 Like

Get rid of that old Clear and try out the new one, Clear MG. Brand new driver.

1 Like

You should get the Koss budget headphones like the Porta Pro, KSC75 and the KPH30i.

4 Likes

Nice ranking! Please get yourself the Focal Stellia. I think you might love it! (I also didn´t like the Utopia)

Yeah, I really gotta try a few of them out.
Might order em today

Yeah, I am not a fan of Utopia at any price. Too sharp/bright. I’ll grab a stellia

2 Likes

brand new hype, Softears RSV, :+1:

@hawaiibadboy @Rikudou_Goku

3 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes

Empyreans are pretty polarizing, but I love mine despite the lack of “audiophile” tuning. Looking forward to your review. Pretty easy to drive vs the other headphones in the price range, so you may want to try it mobile too

I got a secret…don’t tell anyone.
Shhhh.

I don’t trust ANY headphone reviewers. It’s why I am doing headphones and starting at the top

Meze does not need it but for my mind I will always use XLR on Jot 2 for headphones so this cable is on the way.
Doesn’t NEED it but…it’s for my piece of mind :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The nice thing about the cable is you can use it for all the ZMFs and Audezes too, making it my favorite connector. I ended up with most of the ZMF line and plan on at least one more Audeze, so I splurged on this one:

It’s the best cable I’ve used. The price is a tough ask for a single headphone upgrade, but if you’re like me and it’s an upgrade for 5 headphones (Heddphone too when I pick that up), the cost is less of a pill to swallow

I might grab later as that will be a common connect in my collection

You ever go very high end on an iem cable with everything you’ve tested? You may have been asked this a million times, but I’d imagine you’d have to have found a cable you like above all others?

Edit: from my end, I found myself buying $40-$100 cables as accessories for all my new purchases, and I ended up deciding I’d be better off splurging on on good cable for every common termination for headphones I really loved. I like the Aeon 2 Closed a lot, but I don’t want to spend money on an aftermarket cable I only have one use for

That’s not a bad price considering the quality, the EE Odin’s “stock” cable retails for $1299 ffs lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, crazy as it sounds to say it, but compared to other cables I’ve dropped money on it feels like a premium product. Others just seem like the same old cables with maybe a stiffer shielding. I spent a lot of money on a Moon Audio cable early on in my audio journey and it felt like a garden hose

1 Like

@hawaiibadboy is this true is this such a thing?

4 Likes

Yup

Jack in the Box has a Paniolo breakfast with spam,egg,sausage,hashbrown.
Love it

Hamburg Musubi, Teriyaki chicken Musubi is dope

8 Likes