Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

If it’s actually like that I think I’ll go for the original to do that mod. :smiley:

I don’t think this frequency region is reachable by dynamic drivers. There is usually a frequency roll off in this region. My guess is that there are small components in the driver housing that have been improved.

2 Likes

I haven’t been following the modding a ton, but could you not just do the bass mod on the SE and get the best of both worlds?

2 Likes

If someone could gather all the info on Michael’s mod and put it here we might be able to get an idea whether or not that could be a result.

1 Like

Modding those might be a fun project someday. Pricing on the Fostex models is weirdly close - the t20 is $140 and the t40/t50 $150 lol. Are there some graphs around for any of these?

On another note, i recently went window shopping for new headphones and it was kind of a sobering experience. I learned that I straight up wouldn’t be able to place headphones in their correct price bracket by sound alone. I guess i either can’t really hear technical stuff properly or am just not used to it. I also learned that comfort isn’t guaranteed at all as you go up in price, apparently. Sundara was fine. Edition XS sounded noticeably nicer. But what the actual fuck is up with the comfort on them? The headband is hard and they don’t really go small enough for my head. So i’d have to mod them too to be able to somewhat enjoy them. Ananda comfort sucked too for me, thanks to the headband. Arya and up were great, but i’m not spending that much. The 800s had by FAR the best comfort out of anything i tried, which surprised me. That adjustmet system is great.

Anyway, long story short … i like comfort and somewhat spicy treble. Maybe going for modding with a fostex right out of the gate would be a good idea

3 Likes

exactly why I returned my XS… comfort/fit issues, hifiman replacements are overpriced af and don’t want to wait 3 months for a knockoff from china but dang they sounded good, depending on how the Hinode turns out (supposed to be a warmer Sundara) might keep my eyes out for a Sundara stealth.

I get it 100%. The most uncomfortable headphones for me were the 1more triple driver over ears and they killed me after 45ish min. Where my ears just plain hurt etc. To better explain I’m pretty sure that with headphones the 5-6k region(fostex is bad on this for me) if not done the way my ears like is literally a deal breaker since I will not be able to listen comfortably. For iems its more about the ear gain for me so its probably gonna be just fine for you. Nearly every headphone I dislike the treble on has an elevation around there. Focals and Sennheiser are the exceptions if memory serves. The 1mores are a solid recc too if you can deal with on ear/dont have sensitive ears as the frequency response was very plesant overall.

If you are going to mod it, just get the cheapest. They only differ in the amount of shell vent damping.

3 Likes

I just was skimming through the comments sections on his videos and apparently he’s going to be making a tutorial on how he came to his most recent iteration.

1 Like

Slight re-milling of the driver seat

Kinda like what was done when 02 driver was put in Mele shell.
Didn’t work.
Needed to widen nozzle and mill the driver seat angle and then it worked

2 Likes
9 Likes

my Ze Tian Wu arrived today…pucka case and got a nice resin place mat thrown in.
Very early (i.e less than 5 minutes) impression are wholly positive.
will sit and have a proper listen this evening.

7 Likes

Have fun! Hope mine will arrive soon aswell :star_struck:

Great set. That and Hook are my 2 faves :notes: :sparkling_heart:

Has your new unit been all good so far? I’m patiently waiting for my pair to arrive, hopefully by Friday.

1 Like

Yup, i have had no probs at all :notes: :+1:

2 Likes

How does it compare to fir xe6 and tape mod ex8000st? Where does it rank on your too 5 basshead?

1 Like

I’m a total basshead, I want these bad now!! I’ve been lusting after the Legend X and the Evo’s but these seem like they may get the job done for a fraction of the price.

What do the X and the EVO do better than the maestro mini’s?

1 Like

Ok so my Timeless are sat weeping in the corner.
The ZTW monstered all my bass tests.
The sub bass on Ultraviolet by Freya Ridings (live at st Pancras church) is nice and clean and ive only really heard it that well on the Monarch ii.
But the kick on this is fantastic.

Still early days but i think it has the Timeless beat for bass response and its no slouch further up the frequency range either.
I bit on the warm side and I’m clearly still in the “new shoes” phase…so we’ll see how i feel after some long term use.
If they can stay on top of QC when the tsunami hits, theyll have a winner on their hands.

7 Likes

Hits harder. Not sure if you add an amp and EQ because i don’t really do that anymore

Micro detail.

Yeah they nailed the tuning overall and that bass is perfect. not a lot , just sounds quite accurate

2 Likes