Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

Name-brand recognition. They know people will be loyal to a brand so they use that to get buzz.

If they hadn’t discontinued Excalibur and made this Excalibur Mk II nobody would bat as much of an eye at it. But Excalibur didn’t have the juice. Oracle does.

6 Likes

I felt that you had a little anger boiling up inside by the end of the vid - that 5 second silence told me everything I needed to know. I’ll be honest - flat out, I love the ThieAudio brand. Their naming scheme is questionable however. I agree that the oracle MKII is a missed opportunity. Timmy from gizaudio always raves about the OG cause of its vocal presentation, beating out sets double, triple the price. Surely they read reviews, why not double down on that niche of the market?

Money. That’s why.

It’s unfortunate.

2 Likes

I really should be more professional and then again, that’s not what got me to this point in the hobby so best to leave those moments in. i considered trimming it out.
I was getting more and more pissed as the 1 take review went on so it’s 100 as they say

3 Likes

Can I make the same video with the mini drone DJI? Or do I need some special drone…

Independently of the deviation from the OG, how would you rank the Mk2?

2 Likes

I have not a single clue about drones. I only found the video on twitter and found it spectacular.

With the name come some expectation. When the expectations aren’t met on the user side, the backfire can also be huge.
Each method has its risks.

But using the same name for something totally different is not new not bad per se: some car manufacturers do that all the time with their successful models.

I find it too bad we lose a good approach of sound in favour of a more common one, just because it sells well. We can witness it in the under 100$ market : each and every “serious” brand now line up an iem which is very similar to the ones it fights against.

I think we live a time were the companies that once experimented now rationalize their r&d and take less and less risks. Maybe it will hurt innovation, maybe it will be good for QC… Who knows.

1 Like

I think we all gravitate towards your reviews because there’s no BS, Chris. Keep the honesty, we’ll support you. I’m happy you left that end bit in, it really solidified your opinion on the set.

3 Likes

I know a little bit about drones, not soo much Volcanos except they’re damn hot and dangerous lol but you could definitely make this type of video with something from DJI but you’d run the risk of the little motors overheating and failing. I would assume the pilot probably did some modding to make the drone more heat resistant.

He was using a typical fpv freestyle drone. No mods done to it as far as I can tell. The props were nearly melted when he landed. Amazing the thing even made it back in one piece.

Braver man than I as far as I’m concerned. Those FPV drones get pricey…

lower than the original.
The treble tuning steps out in every genre.
It’s a Monarch MKIII pretty much with spicy treble and less rez.

3 Likes

I see, thanks. I am glad I took the discount on the mk1 a week ago. When I first read „Monarch mk3“, I thought it was a clear upgrade.

1 Like

Very wise move not to fall victim to FOMO/FOTM
OG Oracle is a great set

2 Likes

I have some tea2’s incoming too, looking forward to comparing them.

5 Likes

My QKZ x HBB set showed up a couple days ago. I finally got some time to listen today, and was pretty blown away.

As an experiment, I used the stock white tips that came with them, an apple dongle, and had a really good listening session. This is an impressive set for the money, and is the easy under $20 answer. I can’t wait to hear them with a better source and ear tips.

I am shocked there hasn’t been more hype for these, given all the Zero and Chu hype.

6 Likes

haven’t spent a lot of time with the QKZxHBB yet but I prefer the Chu and QKZ to the Zero (sound wise) fit+build seem better on the zero

2 Likes

Will you review the Airpods Pro 2‘s also and rank them ?

Spooky. :ghost:

I got a pop up notification as I am editing a vid about that exact set.

looks for the hidden camera

spy-binoculars

9 Likes

:japanese_ogre::man_detective: jk. pure coincidence :joy: looking forward to your take on them, also compared to good IEM sets :grin:

1 Like