Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

A nice one still. Not a joke though, saw that they actually were having a limited giveaway on their facebook around early June. They said they won’t sell them however.

I’d say it depends on how good a price. I haven’t listened to the IE300, but can vouch for the good quality of the FD5, however fit-wise they are absolutely massive in comparison to the IE300. The bass, soundstage and details on the FD5 are really nice, I don’t find them fatiguing in the treble anymore either, something I initially did when I got them.

3 Likes

Sorry, I don’t listen to metal, but I am a big rock/prog fan and prefer more gain in the mids and highs. FH3 and L3 are safer in their tuning so they soften that, not really to my taste for those genres. Honestly I prefer Blon 03 with swapped mesh filters for rock. :sweat_smile: But that might be too much for some.

If I’d have to choose between the two… FH3, I guess? Just because it handles details better to clear some grit. But I wouldn’t prefer the sub-bass focus for rock/metal.

If you want something cheap, perhaps KZ DQ6? I haven’t listened to it (trying to keep out of hoarding inexpensive IEMs to save up), but it’s raved about.

The treble on the DQ6 can be a problem though. Unless you use my mod on it.

1 Like

They did say they wanted more mids and treble, but my ear doesn’t really know the DQ6, so…

It also has recessed mids so yeah. Probably not a good pick.

The mesh modded blon bl03 is more suited then.

guess it was the company’s name all along, but we got it wrong

the box of my mangrid tea already stated that name in the label and the tips come in cardboard with the same name Xenns

1 Like

Yep, i am thinking Mangird Tea is the model, and Xenns is the brand

Edit: or not?

It is a rebranding. They are changing to be called Xenns, if I’m reading into it correctly.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mangirds-new-brand-name-and-product-launch.958385/

Strangely enough this is what I tend to use alot.(modded grill bl03)
Just wish it was faster and had more resolution.
Thanks for all the replies everyone. :grin:

1 Like

Hi @hawaiibadboy, I actually like your iem preferences, so I just wanted to hear your opinion…
Do you think cheaper hifiman lineup (like up to Sundara) is doable for rock and metal listening?
…Or would you only rec them for lighter genres?
thx man

1 Like

I have that latest 400se v2 coming this week. ($150)

They say the Sundara has better bass now than when I had it so besides the rolled sub bass it did good with my library. You’d have to make sure you were getting the latest version.

1 Like

Just ordered Legacy 2. Bring on the beryllium!

5 Likes

How do you determine what version if you are buying now?

I think Headphones.com @ResolveReviews did a video about them and would know which one he is sending if you ask specifically. I doubt they carry the old ones actually

1 Like

I am hoping to pick up a pair someday :slight_smile:

Yup, from what I understand, most dealers who’ve gone through stock regularly should be on whatever the current rev is. It’s not indicated by price or anything like that like I think I saw some people asking about, but rather how flush or bulging the pads are (flush = old, bulging = new). The outstanding questions we don’t have the answer to is what revision the pads are if you buy them separately from HiFiMAN.

Also, the reason the whole ‘stealth revision’ thing was controversial in the first place is that there technically wasn’t a revision to the headphone itself (not since very early on in the Sundara’s production cycle), but rather just an improvement to the pads. In particular, it looks like they changed how the two materials are glued together underneath and affixed to the mounting frame. From my understanding, the previous pads would sort of disintegrate along that line over time. A guy was kind enough to send in his old rev pads and sure enough they completely separated at the bottom. So HiFiMAN’s claim that they changed the pads to improve reliability seems reasonable, although time will tell on that - at the very least it resulted in an improved sound, even if perhaps it wasn’t intentional.

4 Likes

I’m really tempted, especially after reading their site description about how much they focused on the low end. BUUUT I already have the FH3 for beryllium and I don’t know how much of a different experience these would give.

ThieAudio L2 Earphones

8 Likes

They’re very pretty.

1 Like

@hawaiibadboy
Hello bro,

what do you think is the iem sound signature for a metal songs?
neutral iem? slightly recessed mid?

thank you so much, :pray: