Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

So I’ve had the Sennheiser IE 900 for just over a week now. While my library is not at all similar to @hawaiibadboy 's, my early impressions of this set are pretty close to his, fwiw.

Loving the coherence of this nicely resolving single DD (after 7+ years of being all about hybrid IEMs). #DDbassforever

My music listening is ~40% electronic (ambient, dub-tech & some house and trance), ~40% jazz (instrumental, from bop to contemporary), remaining ~20% prog rock (some prog metal, but not much), alternative, blues, occasional classical.

I admitted upthread I am mostly a consumer. The hobby for me is in the reading/interacting, not in the actual testing, trying.buying of a bunch of stuff. I care a lot about things like design, build quality and tech development by companies I buy from.

Very happy with the sound characteristics of the IE 900, and I love the build, even if the non-standard MMCX will bug some who want alternative cables. At least Sennheiser put some thought into the design to make the connector more robust. I can live with the hassle in my shopping for a third party cable.

Happy listening!

7 Likes

Out of curiosity, where did you buy the IE 900 from? Direct from Sennheiser?

I bought from Audio46 because I have had past dealings with them.

1 Like

Same, I don’t have the same library as @hawaiibadboy either but I love my 900s!

However, they are a pain in the ass with tips and positioning.

1 Like

However, they are a pain in the ass with tips and positioning.

I think you’re putting them in the wrong place :smile:

9 Likes

God I hope the UP is great. Looking at the Tea being ranked S already on BGGAR’s list, it’s exciting to think the UP will be better…I.e. up at the pinnacle alongside Mest.

If it is, I’m buying one ASAP

3 Likes

Oh hell no…
EDIT: I thing its all good now :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Damn that sucks!

By the way, when do you update your ranking list? Really looking forward to seeing where you put these newcomers like the L2, Variations, and incoming UP. That list has been a fantastic buyer’s guide for me. Thanks for doing it!

I bet people bug you about this all the time. Apologies for asking haha

3 Likes

Wonder how the N6ii Titanium stacks up against the DX300 and the DX300 Max…an interesting showdown for sure :+1:

4 Likes

Hi Chris, long time watcher/reader.

Any update on HSAudio? I have access to their Arena for about $140-150 but have no details about it besides it being a crazy cowboy - any thoughts? Probably not the best value as it’s a wild segment, up to $200 they’d have to get a lot right to be keepers vs competition I feel.

Some favorites for me have been NF Audio NM2+, IMR EDP and Dunu Dk2001, as far as gauging personal compatibility.

Hey , thanks for lurking!! :grin:
I got early demo sets of 3 models but like often happens it was for feedback so the tuning was not final. I added my suggestions.
Build seemed legit, nice cable, but what the tuning turned out to be I am not sure.
I may get retail versions of the 3 sets I had and update and do vids :+1:

I gotta get that 300MAX :credit_card:
Goodbye money :no_mouth:

3 Likes

Thanks for the trust!
I usually rank over a month after my vid to keeo it from being a hype tool.
I did that at first (quick ranking) and my opinion might change in first few weeks or a QC issue pops up with early buyers or something then I have to downgrade.

So to prevent it being used like that ( after a month many opinions have come out and QC stuff will be known by then)…I list later.

5 Likes

That’s good to know and makes a lot of sense. I myself post thoughts on the forum and have learned that those initial takes may change for one reason or another.

I respect that mindfulness.

Favorite audio reviewer around.

1 Like

The Cayin Titanium unit will not move past the “commencing the ultimate experience” stage :man_facepalming:

The screen cover has bubbles all over it and there is hair and gunk next to glass if you can see in pic

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like an interesting product range once they’ve polished them. Only 2 are on AliExpress so far, the Arena and the Ripple.

I’m interested in the Legacy 2, but I’m worried it might sound like the Penon Fan which I really didn’t like (at reasonable volumes). On paper I like the idea of lots of sub-bass, but I think there are different ways to execute it. As long as the mids can remain intense… I’ll look forward to hearing more about it in coming weeks. Seems like a time of year where lots of releases are popping up.

I’m pretty content, but I always get hooked on the idea of the next generation of budget offerings being able to match performance of my favorites. Downgrading cost and saving the difference while maintaing sound…
I feel earphone audio has been seeing bigger improvements much faster than either of the other hobbies I follow on and off. Some insane technologies and values.

WOW, that is awful.

I know…
I was banging my head about the freeze at startup then took the pic and the garbage pile next to glass and bubbles everywhere…looks like a kids 1st try at window tinting. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

2 Likes

Hi, how do you like the LAND?