Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

Edited for update

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Well, at least it was an innocent conversation. Kind of like an interview. Only shows clarification.

Though, yea, I would be inclined to ask permission if it were me personally asking questions like that privately. As long as the other party feels comfortable and is ok with sharing.

Read it. Sharing info and the DM are not the same. Personal view. If you could post it in XENNS thread and not here that would be great

DM no share :100:%

2 Likes

I was actually trying to help clear up a lot of the questions you posed in your public review. Butā€¦ whatever. At least you have more info as to their branding and company situation for future reference.

1 Like

I know little about the background stuff as I just wanna know if Linsoul covers the warranty and then give my opinion on itā€™s SQ and other stuff related to sound.
I got inside the hobbyā€¦saw behind OZā€™s curtain and saw the biggest brands in the biz doing some stuffs. Sucks the joy outta the hobby soā€¦
You back it?
I got the same thing buyers will get?
Thatā€™s as far as I go and itā€™s on purpose.

2 Likes

I wonā€™t lie, I never saw myself as an IEM guy. Iā€™m onā€¦ well was on my conquest to get a high end pair of headphones and tried a few and have never been in love. Always was curious about CIEMS tho.

Anyhow, saw your review for the MEST MK2 and it made me want to try an IEM. The passion and excitement over that IEM speaks more to me than any good review. So I ended up getting the Moondrop Blessing two and Iā€™ve enjoyed it waaay more than I thought.

There is only one thing in sight for me, a CIEM of the MEST MK2. I may pick up a use one to see if I like the sound signature and it all goes well get the custom. Everything Iā€™ve read about the MEST it seems just right for the type of music I listen too which is a lot of modern rock, metal and indie.

3 Likes

Mest is end-game. I wish! Good pick

1 Like

Hey HBB and everyone,

Iā€™ve been looking through the graphs, rankings and reviews for the last few days trying to decide what upgrade I should get for the Mangird Teas.
Using Poweramp on my S7 Edge, with a +5db 31hz, +3db 62hz, +2db 8Khz and +3db 16Khz boost, I can get the sound I want. Iā€™m a V-shape / U-shape listener (Klipsch HP-3 and Fostex Purplehearts are my main cans) as 99% of my music listening benefits those frequency responses.

The Teas with EQ are basically perfect, except, whilst thereā€™s sub bass texture and tone, thereā€™s almost no SPL rumble. Not sure if the in ears Iā€™ve been looking at will address this, so thought Iā€™d ask.

Iā€™ve been looking mainly at the Thieaudio L9 and the Clairvoyance as they seem to address my frequency response ā€œissuesā€ with the Tea. The L9 actually seems to be my ideal response (long time basshead, but not trying to do extreme stuff, thatā€™s what the SZ200s, Vmodas etc are for, but still want some rumble for the sub bass though), but Iā€™m guessing just with the driver setup and universal praise, the Clairvoyance will be more detailed and more versatile.
All of a sudden, enter the Mangird UPs, which basically seem to be the Clairā€™s with berry bass and from the review is even more tactile (midbass slam) and visceral (sub bass rumble) in the bass regions.
The treble looks like it will roll off, but from what youā€™re saying for both the Clairā€™s and the UPs, it doesnā€™t present itself in an unusual way - I think itā€™s been mentioned that ESTs donā€™t really present sound the same way as BAs when at the same amplitude, so not sure itā€™s anything to worry about (so Iā€™ve concluded any of the IEMs will be fine treble wise).

For tracks like Kill Jill by Big Boi (awesome recommendation BTW, when that dropped on my SVS sub, the bass face came straight out) and 0742 by Dillard, which one do you think would take the cake? Also, do you reckon Iā€™ll get any more rumble out of these pricier IEMs, or is it all the same; texture and tone with no rumble?

https://hbb.squig.link/?share=Bad_Guy_Target,Mangird_Xenns_UP,Mangird,Thieaudio_L9,Clairvoyance

PS, the MEST MK2 are endgame, but gonna take one more step before I hit the Ā£1K+ club in the IEM world.

1 Like

6 Likes

This gif is so apt! :joy: :purple_heart:

1 Like

You nailed that description! Itā€™s exciting to even think about.

3 Likes

Get MEST MKII the 1st ver is a tough fit for some

2 Likes

Based on your post and mention of SZ2k Iā€™m going to strongly suggest the XENNS UP.
It hammers on another level from the rest.

3 Likes

Somehowā€¦SOMEHOWā€¦I got realllly lucky.

My ears felt snugger with the originals! Happy surprise for my wallet and my taste for the OG :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve also never had fit issues with the OG MEST, so Iā€™ve held off on ā€œupgradingā€ to the Mk2. I donā€™t know if I would find it worth the trouble/cost.

Regarding the Clairvoyance, it is by far the closest to perfect for me, of all IEMs Iā€™ve heard thus far, in overall sound, tuning, fit, technicalities, musicality, etc. I realize that pretty much the universal consensus is that itā€™s not as detailed as the Monarch, but I still find it very detailed, and pretty much on par with my OG MEST. Perhaps Iā€™m in the minority on this. Now, it seems like the Clair is just old news.

That being said, the three areas that could use some improvements to be absolutely perfect for me would be beryllium bass, with hopefully a little more sub bass rumble, a slightly more sweet sounding midrange, which Sonion BAs would likely provide, and slightly more subdued upper treble, to sound more natural to me. The Up looks to possibly be able to provide all these strengths. I thought I was finally done with my search, but itā€™s never ending.

2 Likes

Weird.
My review style is unique in this hobby and always has been.
I focus on minutia and 20,30,40,50 second moments within songs.

I have never agreed that Monarch is able to get:

• A finger sliding on a guitar string
  • A finger tapping on a fret board
  • A high hat opening and closing
  • a drummer muting a cymbal
  • A cymbal crashā€¦or some non familiar treatment of that instrument.

Or anything better than Clair

Take any earphone with a flat bass and EQ up only the sub bass by 10dB while listening to a bass guitar line.
You hear that?
I do.
No fucking thank you to anything that even maybe needs an adapter to produce Hifidelity which is defined as faithful reproduction

Never liked Monarch (Linsouls flagship BTW)
I was not vague at all as to why.
Clair has less resolving ability because of # of drivers? That is a joke of an argument.

6 Likes

7 Likes

:+1: hope it plays as good as it graphs?..

1 Like