Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

Nope the Fostex is a full size headphone well regarded for its bass. Joshua Valour labels it “the king of bass”. They only made 1800 of them and they are out of production for 2 years now i think, i managed to get myself an used one and it is my #1 headphone, i am even selling my Focal Clear because the Fostex gets 90% of the play time.

If you like bass i highly recommend you get yourself one, it is impressive, like REALLY impressive.

Oh, I know those. Owned them. I thought you were talking about an unnamed gem that I missed :rofl:

1 Like

Do you have any video talking about your prefered albuns/tracks/library?

Also, what’s the nice looking player you use?

I am going to do a video about bass, music…
Most of my vids talk about my library in some fashion.
All opinions are music based opinions. That player is called J river

4 Likes

Had the Ebony. It was nice and plentiful and all but I found that I prefer the immediacy of bass that only IEMs can bring.

3 Likes

I still rock the Purplehearts today. It’s an obvious V, but it does better than most high end cans sub bass wise. We take those in this hobby, sub bass + decent resolution is rare. Nice to have detail but actually get some movement when you get some low frequencies.
Too bad they don’t make a dual driver setup, because if you really push it, you get that wind tunnel effect where the rest of the frequency response is audibly affected. That’s only if you push 'em and with straight bass notes its fine.

(If you play Kites by Submotion Orchestra at high volumes for example, from 3:51-4:51 is very challenging, because it’s got that constant strong bassline with prominent mids and highs; it sounds very shaky on the Purplehearts. Compared to 1:57-2:57 which sounds strong, robust and unproblematic.)

But that’s why IEMs are exciting - multi-driver setups to let each driver focus on one frequency band, then all you have to worry about is whether the driver taking 40hz and below, can both play the note AND create the respective SPL. The Mangird Teas can play the notes - but I’m hoping the UPs will also bring that rumble too that’s slightly lacking with the Teas!

[EDIT]

We need the IEM equivalent of the bass paper tests - so that way if both the graph and the paper is flying, then you KNOW what’s up >=D
Not sure that’s possible on such a small scale though =\

1 Like
5 Likes

Agree. That’s the cool part about IEM Can kinda get a car system (dedicated drivers) taking care of replay. The tribrids recently are different levels of awesome. UP slams quite a bit more than TEA.

2 Likes

Some folks be like…

:joy:

1 Like

Other folks be like

:innocent:

1 Like

Well it would be shit if it was “Good Guy Good Audio Reviews” now wouldn’t?

But a good modern-day IEM transducer or combinations of can replay the entire audible frequency spectrum with ease, it just comes down to the tuning implementation and how that jams with the listeners library and personal preferences.

3 Likes

Exactly. Take the UP. It’s already showing different reactions from different people and their libraries, ears, preferences, etc.

I’m lucky I love a lot of the same as BGGAR so far though.

1 Like

I don’t have a tribrid that hammers as they all are suffering from “Sameface syndrome.” UP is unique.
It has a place in my collection and rec’s (alot of folks who bought other tri brids were asking for a set that hit harder and they got one.

Anyone who thought boosted midbass does not have a penalty down the line is a moron or bought it cuz it looked sexy and did not actually watch my vid :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I actually have no prob with high hats or cymbals. Vocals can get strongarmed a bit but not much. It’s there but that bass is thumpin sometimes

1 Like

Yeah ears deffo come in to it…if we want to start with a totally blank card then a professional audiologist should do a frequency response hearing test to ascertain that we can all hear the same fq’s at the same time while slowly increasing db…otherwise :man_shrugging::joy: :sleeping:…meanwhile the :musical_score: awaits :v:

1 Like

Should have in a couple daps to do my tribrid wars

EJ07M v.s. Oracle v.s. UP v.s. Variation v.s. “X” v.s. ODIN v.s. Sultan

11 Likes

There goes your whole weekend haha.
Super stocked to see what the EJ07 does vs the UP

2 Likes

Kinda like the EJ’s retro faceplates :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Like this :question:

——-

1 Like

Lol no :stuck_out_tongue:
I already have certain headphones for that >=D
But a complete lack of rumble is depressing.

[edit]

Depressing because everything else (including bass tonality) the Teas do sounds great; 95% is blue balling. And because most of my library has some kind of bassline, whether it be Ambient, Bassy Rap, Dubstep (mellow and heavy) etc.

Especially for your type of music, my personal recommendation for you would be the Sennheiser IE300, its general tonal character is basically more intense, especially in the bass area.

If you then use the yellow tips (Fiio), the bass will take off your socks.

1 Like