Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

Yes.
Since the DZ4 is using the back chamber volume the “leak” from other drivers, to push the PR, i wanted to compare the pulled and blocked with original.

Why?
Because of a echo/reverb that was constant and really bad with metallica etc.
Cause?
The PR cannot do a 1:1 meaning the active driver creating a 1Khz signal cannot be reflected through the PR as a perfect 1Khz because it is rear vented signal and it is an open back chamber…actually also an open back.
Effect?
A lot of the info past and near ear gain has essentially added noise and distortion.
Signals from active driver are leaking/reflecting and going through the passive mylar outputting signals other than the original.

It’s also open back for an extra wtf twist

just as a major major aside…there is a reason PR are used for low freq and sealed

7 Likes

If the car doesn’t sound good it’s not a good car

2 Likes

Oh…you got me there :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I do agree with that: if the engine is too shitty, the car can’t be good .

But take a “basic” catheram as an example: the engine is a tiny little thing that isn’t great by any mean. It’s a small 4 pots that you can find in common cars. But the engine is “good enough for what it has to do” and the car is great.

Of course you won’t make a Ferrari out of this kind of engine, but then again you can still have a great car out of a “not great but good enough” engine.

As for belllsing ba in high end gear… I honestly can’t answer: I don’t have enough knowledge and experience in the subject to say anything definitive.

To sum up, my point is: it’s not that simple. Iems are a combination of several parts and the quality of the driver(s), while important isn’t the only defining factor of the iem quality.

1 Like

Agree.
Comes down to a avg to poor driver tuned well or a great driver tuned poorly.
And EQ users can really score if they put in a pinch of work

2 Likes

Shortbus w/Macro. Maybe a better watch

9 Likes

Dam that make sense, no wonder why busier tracks sounded off to me (but not gonna lie I kinda dig the reverb on simpler songs LOL). Anyways, thanks for the knowledge Chris :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

“Niceness cannot be forced” / “Насила хубост не става” / - Bulgarian spoke :wink:

I really don’t understand how DZ4 can be such a spectacular failure. New technology, I get it, but still! :woozy_face:

Depends on the genre. For Chris’ library it’s gonna be messy for sure and the fact he doesn’t listen too loud doesn’t help either, but for ballads/simpler songs the vocals are amazing at high volumes (80db+). Not a layering or separation monster by any means (a step below the Hexa) and the marketing gimmick is off-putting for sure, but definitely not a spectacular failure.

4 Likes

For me, an IEM is either good or bad. There is no middle ground. I think this is a bad IEM and nothing can justify it! :eyes: :blush:

1 Like

Agreed, and for me it’s good with certain genres :man_shrugging:

Have you heard it? It’s “good” on slower/vocal focused songs/high volume. Try testing it with a different library/volume first :+1:

I trust you!! . I haven’t heard of it and I don’t plan to buy it. I listen to dynamic and technical music and few IEMs work! :cold_face:

2 Likes

Oh, then avoid the DZ4 LOL

It’s not for you :joy:

3 Likes

It not new tech thats the thing its old tech done the wrong way. PR is the most poorly implemented application I have seen. And then top that off with a semi open back design shows a clear lack of understanding of how that should work and why ypu would use it in the first place.

Done correctly = great results and a deeped bass extension.

Done poorly = DZ4

3 Likes

I almost wonder if you can find which driver is the bass driver and then just 3d print an enclosure that would fit in the back of the shell to seal and port the sound over to it. Would be an interesting experiment. Passive radiator bass on something like the 1more triple driver over ears was legendary for me. In an iem I imagine it would be an instant buy if cheap enough.

1 Like

LETSHUOER_DZ4_3DD_1PR_DRIVER_in-ear_monitors_P8_720x-removebg-preview

You culd easy 3D print a shroud but getting glue/silicon under those ribbon cables would be a task to get the full seal.

2 Likes

A reviewer in my community got the dz4 to test.
He landed pretty much on the same conclusions:

• the radiator is not ment as a “bass reflex” thing but seems to be here to enhance the sense of space/reverb to the mids.
  • therefore the set can be quite picky as the genre/music it fits
  • it works pretty well with acoustic and live stuff, but pretty bad with anything else.

I have the feeling that letshuoer marketing team should have explained their intentions a little better with this set: most people have thought it’s here for bass enhancement and thus had different expectations than what the set offers.

4 Likes

That makes sense - thanks updating us :+1:

My question is: Why would it be there for bass enhancement when the tuning of the low-end is super lean LOL

1 Like

Because that is what passive bass radiators are usually meant for.

Its the step between a vented and sealed enclosure (speakers) afaik.

1 Like