Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

Same track on both…very ghetto but it’s all about the air and that AUDEZE was legendary for bass so I bought it

2 Likes

Errr that was his second user name :rofl:

2 Likes

kramer-seinfeld

I forgot that. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ll say this. Imo all IEM drivers are too small to push any meaningful about of air to give you that true sub bass feel. I’ve heard the maestro mini, legato, glamdring and fat Earth and imo the fat Earth has the biggest bass to my ears. I believe the reason for that is it has overwhelmingly more midbass than the other sets so while it’s true it’s not pushing more air it gives the impression (to me) of bigger bass. Also imo planars can get away with more elevated bass before muddying up compared to DD.

I have noticed that extremely elevated sub bass comes off poofy even in DDs if there is no mid bass to prop it up.

EDIT: mind you I haven’t heard the Sony ex800st but I gotta imagine it would be hard to beat that one. I’m also very interested in impressions of the Scarlet Mini since it’s supposed to up the midbass

4 Likes

Proper sub bass is both audible and physical, so if I’m being totally honest putting something in your ear or indeed around them is never gonna replicate that :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

yup. Which is why i kind of gave up on “basshead” IEMs. Its just not the same to me no matter how much air is pushed

2 Likes

Thank God you are a Mod around here :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

I disagree with 1st half. Elevated bass on any single transducer DD or Planar or BA inflicts a mid penalty that is audible before “basshead” is reached (anything over 8-10dB over mids) The further up you go the higher the distortion as it is with drivers that go in speakers in homes and auto. Most distortion at spec of transducer is in the low end anyway (inneficiency increases with instability like a fast bicycle v.s. one that is rolling to a slow stop)

The sub bass poof is an agree. The fact that most producers eliminate info below 20Hz to clean up the mix escapes many bassheads.
Everyone and their mother said sub bass was where the punch was…the fuck it is…it is in the midbass and cutting it like Variations or Monarch OG mutes the Kick and Bass guitars.
Everyone argued 2 years ago…they don’t do that now.

Respect the midbbass

200w (5)

10 Likes

Well well, DSP cable bargain sale going on? Fiio coming out with one.

Afaik, no info on app existence or if it has PEQ customisation. Which if it doesnt have would make it DOA compared to the Moondrop/Tanchjim options.

11 usd price apparently.

3 Likes

We saw this coming a mile away.
Chifi is predictable in a good way sometimes

2 Likes

Wanna bet which brand is next? :rofl:

I say its one of the budget brands like KZ or TRN.

1 Like

KZ, TRIPOWIN, CCA (pretending they are not KZ)…TRN, Penon, Hidizs ( they will align a Kickstarter with a cute at risk animal and be vague about how they are helping)…some up market brands will offer custom ones instead of nozzle filters claiming it is less detrimental to SQ than dampening filters…it will be everywhere and it should since it is a good idea but it will get beat to death once it matures

1 Like

hmm, afaik, CCA havent denied their connection to KZ before?

True. I have not paid attention since it was clear, i think some folks denied it more than companies.

1 Like

just downloaded this song because it sounded so catchy and its the first time i felt like i have to use this preset yet i still want more subbass and slam. the normal preset is just trash for hip hop. its crazy how bass is so genre dependent.

1 Like

I’m with you all the way. In context to the forum though I have to remind myself no IEM to date has given me the true feeling I crave.Beside being at a live show the closest is my car setup. FE and Glam are the currents that fulfill the missing gap. EX800ST and ASG 2.5 would follow just overall the tuning as whole didn’t click with me long term.

2 Likes

That isnt really the main factor, it is because speakers hits your whole body while portable transducers are all only firing into your ears.

4 Likes

You are right, this isn’t the main factor for IEMs but I do think its a bigger factor for open backs. You need a certain driver size to push enough air to feel. If a 50mm DD could move as much air as my living room sub woofer I am sure I would feel it similarly if it was a few inches from my ear.

2 Likes

That chest thumping feel of a sub in a nice speaker setup or concert/club is obviously impossible for IEMs, but there are still definitely tiers in “feeling” so to speak. I’m still unable to forget the feel of the ASG 2.5’s bass even though it’s been years since I lost it and I wonder if it’s really as simple as having a big ass driver resonating in a ported chamber lol.

1 Like

Those actually loosen the earwax in your ear. None of the planars do and they sound like garbage if you try to

3 Likes