Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

I was looking for impressions about the Moondrop Darksaber and I found this on reddit:

so they lost me as a possible future customer.

4 Likes

Any idea how old that is? Last 6 weeks?
Sorry to interupt as you are talking to someone else

Been testing the Scarlets more and man, they are ridiculous. In both good and bad ways. Mostly because they are one of the more ridiculously tip dependant IEMs I’ve ever tested. And even with some tips even the placement of the fit matters.

Default silicon one that they come with actually aren’t too bad. Big subbass. Big midbass. Slightly veiled mids and nice highs. The highs on these are actually a lot more detailed and smooth than I expected.

Now the Tri Clarion tips that come with the whole package I have no idea why they’re included at all. Pretty much sucks out the bass and not in a good way. I feel like these are the tips you use if you hate these earphones.

JVC spiral dots are actually hilarious with these. They are so ridiculously bassy with these. It’s like I’m cramming a car subwoofer into my ears, and it’s the scarlets we’re talking about here. It’s really fun honestly but not something I would recommend as a daily driver. :sweat_smile:

Now this reaches to what I will describe as the bass monster to hifi scale. If spiral dots is on the bass monster end, the default tips would be next, and then the next one are the Spinfit Omnis. Insane rumble on these, but the mids are a more pulled out and the highs are even better while still having the bass kick like a mule. Seriously, songs like these leave me feeling assaulted in the best ways possible.

Than after the Omnis it would be the Dunu S&S. Problem for me is that the fit for these are fiddly, and not in the way that they don’t fit well, it’s more that the level of bass depends entirely on how deep they fit. If you want the rumble, you need to do a shallow fit with these, as the deeper you push in the less the bass impact is. Honestly that the strangest observations I have with these. The deeper a tip fits the less bass there is. Really weird.

Than finally comes the eletech baroques. These were actually my favourites, because it was able to keep the rumble with that more, for a lack of a better term, hifi sound. The problem is that these have an even smaller sweet spot than the S&S. Like seriously, I would think that the scarlets were broken, adjust the fit a bit, and get back to that sweet spot. It’s a shame but it’s just too fiddly for me to use daily.

tldr: Spinfit Omni and Dunu S&S offer the best balance in terms of improving the sound while still keeping that insane bass kick. Eletech baroques provides the most hifi sound but are super fiddly. Defaults are fine. The spiral dots makes these sound hilarious.

Also I have to say for what they are the headroom isn’t bad at all. If anything it feels like it has about as much headroom as my Hype 2s. I was listening to this track and the beginning sounded so distant I initially though I disconnect my earphones and the sound is coming through my phone speakers lol

9 Likes

Two months ago. If you search on google “Anyone tried Moondrop Darksaber yet?” you can find the discussion easily. I don’t know if I can link reddit here.

1 Like

This is from October 8th so might be same set? There were 3 iirc?
Not a popular set. Probably for the best

1 Like

Yeah, even without the QC issues in mind, I haven’t even heard anyone talk about how they sound. Which isn’t what you want for your supposed flagship model.

1 Like

Yeah that set, I talked to the guy on FB. Apos finally took care but Moondrop refused to.
APOS making the smart move right there :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yet they still sell Moondrop tat…

shoulda drop that brand like a hot potato.

4 Likes

I am an “antivaxxer”. heh :sunglasses: Deal with it

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this - at this point in my iem journey, I enjoy nothing more than I do a well told tip journey :headphones:

2 Likes

Chris…I don’t see my vote on your spreadsheet…what…my vote doesn’t count…I find this most displeasing…

Of all people I would be inclined to believe in the fact that you would include everyone’s opinion regardless of your own…I find this behavior most distressing

Please update your spreadsheet expeditiously to include my vote accordingly…

and if you don’t…

I’ll be expecting my cast on your finalized spreadsheet very soon

Thank you for your diligence in this matter…

Oh… I forgot… as you know very well… my vote was for the…
Delta Airlines Complimentary Earbuds

2 Likes

Moondrop… in a nutshell…

2 Likes

All of this hype around simgot makes me want to grab a EM6L

im currently waiting to see prices for all their new stuff before trying them. a lot of interesting things they have coming out.

2 Likes

ideal tuned. but how details of this?

I’m continuing to read very positive impressions about Canpur 622B, from several headfiers. Waiting the HBB review, also I’m not that crazy to spend 3500 dollars.

2 Likes

The Canpur are fantastic. 1st BCD type that is doing something I can subtle not so subtle feel.

Dear Prudence Bass line …vocals… :cook: :kiss:

6 Likes

ezgif.com-resize(1)

That’s the song…that’s the moment

5 Likes

Many seasons ago…

All it ever led to was trading blows and inarticulate arguments

2 Likes

Summer of '81… at the Jersey shore

3 Likes