Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

nOOOOOO WAY :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Drake just retire at this point

Hey Guys

Sorry to interrupt your Drizzy vs K-Dot talk. I now have my order in for the scarlets but they won’t be shipped for weeks I think. So I’m also looking to finally upgrade my over the ear Headphones and I need some suggestions.

What I currently own? Cascades

What Genres am I listening to? Hip-Hop,EDM,Rock

What’s my price range ? Under 1000 would be perfect but I can go up to 1500. The clears for example are 1400 and I’ve been eyeing them.

What Sound signature am I looking for ? I need basically a scarlet mini version in full size headphone. Strong impactful bass. I want to feel every kick drum. The cascades have that but I’m looking for something more higher quality. Also non fatiguing treble would be good because I usually listen to a long time when I listen to music.

Any suggestions ? Hope I gave enough information of what I’m looking for.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

LOL all g man this was originally about audio gear hahaha you good

Symphonium Titan at $1K, but if you can stretch to $1600 go Ziigaat Jupiter, I’m pretty sure Chris made that set specifically for hiphop and rock. It’s got great scaling, loved it the few hours I was able to demo them, but I’m sure others can chime in

4 Likes

I’d pretty recommend the same as Jays/Vivdici_111. I’d go Jupitier, or just save money and get the hype 4 is a solid pick depending as well. After a point you should demo stuff. Jupiter is just so underhyped.

1 Like

Forgive my friends… :rofl:

You want headphones like Scarlett mini

Modhouse T60rp or T50

FOCAL is notorious for “bottoming out” and an engineer explained directly to me that it was a result of a design choice. That set is not designed for high excursion
You can google “Focal headphone distortion” for more detail.

6 Likes

The Focal Elex was one of their worst hesdphones for this exact reason.

@Davii what type of transducer are you looking for? If you you go the EQ route the Audeze LCD 2 or X can be EQ’ed if you do EQ.

Fostex TH900 and 909 are known for their slam.

The most importent part of this whole thingn is what you are useing to power them. This will be more of a limiting factor on what your choices are as well.

3 Likes

Oh dude I read that as earphones LOL like IEMs

Idk about over ear headphones ignore what I said

2 Likes

Are you in the US or don’t mind buying from a boutique that would ship international?

@Jaytiss can likely attest to this brand but I’m way more of an initial headphone guy and my favorite headphones right now (beyond some of the way pricier than IEMs stuff - I can touch on that later) is JM Audio.

I have a pair of XTC^2.5 Closed Backs (in beryllium driver, 32ohm form) that are tuned Warm but Detailed that are a permanent fixture for me. JM can also custom tune your headphones based on your sound preference. I highly recommend his stuff. He does open back, closed back, has some in the $600 range but you can get higher trims which would be larger sized cups for larger sound stage.

My set:

Edit: Otherwise, Modhouse like @hawaiibadboy pointed out is great, Fostex is good but I think they have more of a tendency to bleed over from the bass vs Scarlet Mini from my listening.

Another borderline boss level set of bass headphones could also be maybe the Sony Z1R? But I have -not- listened to those before. Also, the absolute freaking end game of all time: Audio Technica W2022 but that’s like… Even above Subatomic Storm level of price point and it was a super limited edition run (only 100 ever made).

But they’re the best looking headphones of all time.

8 Likes

Side note, speaking of AudionTechnica the ATH-AD2000 and 5000 are so under rated. Not bass monste4s but damn are they good.

Those look stunning!

2 Likes

Super underrated set!

Audio Technica (RIP ATH-M40x) and Ultrasone were both my entry into the audio world.

1 Like

Oh, speaking of Fostex and Audio Technica - one can also go the Frankenstein route and look for a Philphone (custom headphones that use Fostex’s TH-series biodynamic drivers and shove them into an ATH AD900x open back shell)

Check out the ZMF bokeh.
You can tune these to suit just by pad swapping
And well within your budgets.

2 Likes

This is why it’s so hard to get good recommendations. I only ever read that the focal clears have one of the best dynamics and you can really feel the slam and impact of the mid bass. But if it distorts at higher volumes I can’t see how that’s enough for me.

Any preference between the 2? T60 and T50? I see you put the t50 in your list.

Yea the LCD X is something I have been looking at too. I never had planers though so I’m not sure if I would like the bass texture I’d have to demo it. I was looking at the LCD x or the HiFiMAN He6se v2 which are always on a discount. Can you maybe speak on the differences of the 2 if you or anybody knows ?

The Th909 is one of my dreams but it’s almost 2200$ where I live in Europe. So out of my budget unfortunately just like the Z1R it’s over 2k

1 Like

One more thing. I love Deep rumbling Bass that goes low. But for me the more important part is to feel my music. That’s why I didn’t enjoy the Denon 5200,7200 even tho everybody online seems to call them bass monsters. They also distorted easily.

I’ll start with the He6se v2, They are on sale more often but the irony is you will need to spend just as much for an amp that can drive them properly.

The LCD X can be had for pretty reasonable prices new and used. The LCD X on the other hand takes to EQ very well and you would be able to shape it into whatever sound sig you need. They are much easier to drive than the He6se v2.

I would need some more info on your use case and chain to give you a proper answer. What amp will you be using?

Both of these are very open and will leak ever single dB of noise coming form your headphones as well.

Edit: If you want deep rumble than LCD X with a bass EQ and maybe some more up top where the dip at i think 5k was.

1 Like

Dunu hear me…no white cables…ever

Dunu flopped…that was brutal

4 Likes

Well down time for some folk :smile:

3 Likes

yeahhh uhm… the D5200 isnt really that bassy (from iem perspective). It gives me Dunu Titan S vibes.