Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

As a fellow reviewer getting asked about stuff in the rangeā€¦you should.
Money does not grow on trees but some stuff is worthy

3 Likes

If you say itā€™s good and has one or more dds, i will put the dough.

Already mailed penon :disguised_face:

6 Likes

hey Chris, did you listen to the Legend? what do you think?

Not yet.
Iā€™m buying my Penon stuff full price so I am moving slow :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All this talk about Penon sets has me looking like šŸ«  and my wallet looking like :interrobang:

If I can get some good checks in from work, Penon might be the next brand I try out. Iā€™ll be on the look out for the ā€œPenonā€ video :sunglasses:

4 Likes
16 Likes

iā€™ve seen the penon serial mentioned on head-fi before, and it was being hyped due to just using DDs and doing that really well, but then there werenā€™t any reviews from external sources ā€¦ so i never really bothered looking into it more. itā€™s nice to see that head-fi wasnā€™t full of shit on this one :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Bought mine. Very satisfied.
Best 3DD implementation I have heard and among the best in its $$ range with a library like mine. :+1:

6 Likes

Was there a specific question I missed? Here are my initial Serial impressions: IEM discussion thread (Part 1) - #2352 by thoohil

What changed over time is that they play more stringent than fresh out of the box.
My most expensive IEMs are the the Dunu EST 112 and the Moondrop Variations and I favor the Serial any day of the week.
While tribrids are technically well thought out and executed I came to realize that itā€™s kind of exhausting for me to listen to them for longer sessions. They demand too much brain cpu load. Itā€™s hard to describe.
Planars are similiar but still unmatched for electronic music sessions.

@hawaiibadboy Great Serial review! I can subscribe to all points made. I was wondering how far totl IEMs are from a pearl like the Serial?

5 Likes

oops sorry, not sure why that didnā€™t link properly. Hereā€™s a question from @nymz that I thought you could answer as well:

Ah ok, Cymbals sound perfectly fine. Clear, not piercing and not recessed. I did a quick comparison with the S12. Reverb and decay are actually better on the Serial.

Favorite Cymbals Meinl Byzance Vintage Sand Medium 18" :grinning:

Same with female vocals Fleetwood Mac - Dreams, perfectly dosed imho.
Itā€™s hard to find anything negative about these.

7 Likes

Should existing Tea owners grab the serial? :thinking:

Debating on whether I should spend my $300 on Serial or Hook-Xā€¦

3 Likes

Ooooh yeah, Hook-X vs Serial - thatā€™s an epic battle there!

4 Likes

How is slam/dynamics on the serials? & stage?

Iā€™m going to have to pick a set up butā€¦

I canā€™t be the only one that thinks the faceplate looks a lot like one of Dr. Huxtables sweaters right?

5 Likes

I knew it looked familiar, and I think you just nailed it!

1 Like

^ yeah this - happy I jumped because my curiosity got the better of me.

4 Likes

I have a Tea 2 and never heard the original. Also, own the Hook X and Serial. I find them all to be great choices. But, between all three Iā€™d have to give it to the Hook X if only given one choice. Itā€™s just has a special sound to it. Besides the planar I think the open back design helps it shine. I definitely notice I difference if I cover the openings.

10 Likes

Got a surprise that my Thor Mjolnir 2 and Kinera Urd will be here by the end of day. Will have only been two days since shipping and making its way to South Florida. Super stoked to hear my first impressions.

6 Likes

What the actual f?

That is mind-boggingly amazing shipping time.

I think mine is expected to arrive May 10th. ( i live in Sweden).

Please give immediate impressions on the Mjƶlnir 2 :pray:

2 Likes