Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

If you don’t cut short my sentence I explain it with more context:

Dynamics refers to tuning, and how much of the frequency range (20hz to 20Khz) the IEM can cover and how well/smooth it covers it (so no sudden dips and jumps or little jitters). If an IEM is missing a certain part of the musical frequency then naturally it’s also missing all the information in that area. BUT, this doesn’t mean you need the entire frequency since many areas are better off dipped too avoid sibilance (and some regions we can’t even clearly hear), but rather, it’s where the dips occur and how well an IEM transitions from those said dips.

Sudden dips and jumps is the difference between louder and quieter sounds… which is exactly what you said as well.

Sure I agree, but tuning is also a main part since it dictates what the frequency will sound like and where the loudest and quietest parts of the sound frequency are aka dynamics. It won’t matter what kind of transducers if an IEM has huge sudden rises and dips, aka rapid changes in dynamics. You need both.

I get it that you didn’t like the review, but flagging it is a bit much ay bro? Anyways, the KAI is still a stunning set man. Excited for the Mahina :facepunch:

There is no correlation between the freq response and Dynamic range or lack thereof
Frequency response having a dip or spike anywhere is the tuning of the driver is not related to the technical performance (dynamics)
The Graph is like an EQ showing where the driver is giving emphasis or de emphasis.
The dynamics is a performance spec.

A cymbal crash that is less intense to the ear because of a dip in the graph
is not related to dynamics or compression

A cymbal crash that is less intense because the transducer is cheap and has poor dynamics is again… not related to the frequency graph.

You can fuck up great potential with bad tuning, we agree and that is obvious but again

Dynamics refers to tuning…mmmm no.

@VIVIDICI_111
Bruh…
You just put SEEK REAL in almost every top spot no?

I have gone through several releases with my name on it and not. Some really well known stuff. You get thick skin and get over it.
Thanks for taking the time.
I disagree
I get over it in about the time it takes to eat a sandwich
I always flag multiple posts and Ohmboy can attest to that…wherever that dude is.

4 Likes

Dynamics is the change/difference in volume from the loudness parts to the quietest parts which is affected by the recording–> which the sound can then be affected by the tuning of the IEM through taking away or adding certain parts of the frequency which alters the pre-existing loudest and quietest levels of the track when it finally arrives to your ears. I never said it was only the tuning man :sweat_smile:

:+1:

?

You still eating your sandwich? :joy: Anyways bro, wasn’t trying to start anything. Good luck with your releases man, and congrats on the baby.

10 character

2 Likes

? I can like some of your sets and not vibe with your others? Hahahaha what :rofl: I love Olina and Airship but that doesn’t mean I’ll automatically jibe with the others man hahahaha. KAI looks stunning, and I’ll still use it when I want to crank up that volume :+1: Now I’m eyeing the Mahina :eyes:

2 Likes

If you liked em all, that would be weird and make you look like a simp. :+1:

This sandwich is taking a while

3 Likes

Must be a good sandwich ma boi :sandwich:

2 Likes

I got my HBB Tri Kai, and I am enjoying it a ton. It really is an impressive job of finding the middle ground between Mele and Olina.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I’m hoping to hear! :smile:

2 Likes

Yooooo @hawaiibadboy, I was wondering if you’ve ever listened to anything from the Sonic Adventure soundtrack and if you had to chose a single pair of earphones to listen to anything from it what would they be? Not asking because it’s one of my favorite soundtracks of all time or anything… :grin:

1 Like

Give me a specific track and i can add it to rotation and use it after i listen 100 times :slight_smile:
I’m adding classical as well

1 Like

STUDIO:
Where music is recorded and pre/post production occurs
Limiters
Compressors
Variety of hardware and software that is going to impact the final product.
Dynamics are manipulated here for many reasons. Intentional compression, effects, etc.

FINAL OUTPUT (intended profile)

Now, a consumer bought and paid copy of that in a lossless format is obtained.

QUALITY:

Quality of transducers used will playback that in a manner that is hifidelity
(Faithful to the Mastering)
Or it will not do that.

TUNING:
Not to be confused with dynamics or “Dynamic range”
A separate term for a reason.

The tuning of a transducer as displayed after a signal is sent through it (ex: 1Khz) will display the hard tuning of the transducer and what part of the frequency response is being emphasized or not.

Poor tuning can impact the ability to perceive as can something as simple as say… a secure fit.

4 Likes

Isn’t this just a semantic and general audiophile vs audio engineer misunderstanding…

@hawaiibadboy is correct - these are two different things and FR is not related to “Dynamic Range” which is a technical measurement of a transducer’s possible amplitude range subject to the noise floor.

An FR graph is conducted at a specified voltage and voltage affects dynamic range. So you are not getting a true picture of DR just by looking at an FR as not every transducer has perfect linearity (see Erin’s Audio Corner’s linearity measurements for different speakers at increasing voltages) even if it technically should. Equally truncating an FR spectrum could alter the DR.

@VIVIDICI_111 is correct - dynamic contrast is the variation in amplitude within a musical piece. But this is used to assign playing volume for practising musicians not for reproduction as it is limited to a single instrument.

You are also correct that EQ affects DR (analogue certainly) but only to the extent that there is a limiting factor in the software/hardware as the EQ could affect the noise/distortion or amplification which is directly related to DR and bits in use.

Audiophiles talking about “dynamics” has caused confusion here as these “dynamics” are not the same as the hardware’s dynamic range or a musicians instruction on dynamic contrast. When reviewers talk about dynamics they imply a change / movement from low to high (vice versa) parts to elicit concepts like “slam”. It is the rate and extent of these movements within the music that they are referring to. These “microdynamics” concepts are more “feeling” driven. It would use a lot of prior assumptions to be able to clearly infer these from a full range FR. There is currently no standard procedure to measure microdynamics that I am aware of - though there are certain individuals proposing novel ideas around this area - including the idea around the distance and variation in the peaks and troughs of the FR that you have mentioned - but these have been more anecdotal at best.

11 Likes

Daaaaamn makin’ it tough on me dude because the whole soundtrack is pure GOLD, buuut if I were to be hard pressed about between the tracks Open Your Heart or Crank The Heat up I would go for the latter on terms of just how much goes on in that track. Then as a track I would feel that might pull you into listening to the whole soundtrack altogether it would be a not so little track that goes by the name of Red Hot Skull, I think you’d find it that f***in’ gooood :sunglasses:

1 Like

I found a tear in the fabric of time today…

4 Likes

They’re probably preparing for the future… when Doraemon’s Anywhere Door is no longer fictional

$20…
What a crazy hobby this has become

9 Likes

been hearing good stuff about this one…not that im in the market but you have to wonder how the non Chinese brands (Campfire et al) are going to deal with the kind of quality/price now coming out of the far east.

3 Likes

Everybody should stop being naughty to one another. Just say no.

1 Like