BassHead, but also appreciates mid and highs

I’m new to audiophile headphones and I also have a past with planty of bass:

• I have 2X 12inches Sundownaudio subs in my car
  • I had the first Gen Beats pro (by dr.dre)
  • I recently got rid of my Razer Man’o’war “7.1” (wired) gaming headset because the plastic Headband broke (Best bass in Headset/Headphone I heard so far)
  • I also brought Beats pro (by Apple) when my 1st Gen Beats broked (cable going through each ears) ( I like these less compared to the 1st Gen because the sound signature changed and the clamping is way too tight

One month and a half ago I was going to buy some Corsair Virtuos / Razer top of the line thing… and then I found Zeos… #gottaloveZeos

I then did some research on what best Headset / Headphone and mic combo would suit me and I came to the conclusion of this:

BeyerdDynamics MMX300 2nd Gen:

Mayflower MKII DAC /AMP combo:

and these Dekoni pads:

I wanted to order the Headset (and the pads) first just to see if I would be pleased with the Soundstage/Bass/mid/high) of it and then get the DAC/AMP combo after to be sure that I liked the sound signature of the Beyerd. AND I DID ! OMG AS a fu**** noob audiophile (you can tell by what I’ve listed above) the MID are amazing and the high too !!! Listening to music with these were a completly new experience for me and I liked it.

My volume preference:

I’m the type of guys that can listen to music with very high volume and its not specifically for the mid and highs…The bass level I want is generally (where everything shake) come at high volume and mids/highs are still important so basically everything is getting loud. Like most people are saying that I’ll be deaf soon, but I don’t listen to that high volume for too long… generally like maximum 15 minutes of high volume music suit me well then I get back to normal for every people. During this 15 minutes, the bass gotta be there…

Then, I said ok (running on my motherboard output(Asus Maximus 8 https://www.asus.com/ca-fr/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO )) they’re not loud enough even at 32 OHM I can tell they’re not soo easy to drive (compared to my Beats I still have) and with the DSP thing on the MKII I would get what I want right ? ORDERED!

3 Days ago I finally received the last peice of the puzzle (the MayFlower DAC/AMP)

AND… I’m Fuck*** disappointed

I mean, I think the DAC/AMP unit itself is fine… My headset too but… They don’t get loud enough. I got to crank it at 5/8 (at high gain) and more to get the volume I want (again …not for too long, but just for 1 or 2 tracks) Also, the Beyerd got enough bass ratio with DSP ON (not for every track just the EDM/Deadmau5/etc type of tracks) until I hit 1/2 Volume knob level… At that point the beyerd is starting to make a (rattleling/scratching sound) to the right driver and at higher level the left one begin to make it too. This sound is painfull to ear. Its not like a voice in a fan sound (like with Beats starting to distord on bass) more like a : OMG STOP THAT ! THEY’RE GONNA BREAK sound.

I know @Orion_Xavier talked about it in his post:

and it was at this point that I realised that I wasn’t the only BassHead in the same situation

I like ridiculous amount of bass (too much) at very high volume, but I also like to listen to Fuck*** Tchaikovsky: Overture 1812, Op.49 - Largo - Allegro giusto with my Beyerd which has resonable amount of bass for this type of music…and the same track with my beats sound like shit !

When I plug my Beats in the Mayflower MKII I can crank it at 2/3 with the DSP (bass boost) on and my head is shaking… the bass is GOOD I Remember - Deadmau5 kicks are hitting me like CRAZY I love that. I simply can’t get that with my beyerd.

At this point I’m considering returning everything I can and wait to see what’s the best solution for me:

Be able to get a pair of Headphone ( I’ll get a seperate mic at this point) Lot of LOUD bass without compromising to much (OR NOT AT ALL) on the mid and highs…
Remember the key here is not only getting lot of bass but getting them very loud too without too much distortion or scratching drivers things !

One last point: the confort is really fine with the Dekoni pads on the MMX300 (not as much as the Ma’o’war I had before(these were hard to beat on the confort btw)).

Then I’ll be able to Play Deadmau5 - I remember or something like crazy hiphop/rap music with muddy basses and crank it high without fears, but also playing FLAC Pink Floyd tracks and listen to all the little details. Then I can go to CS GO and ear every footsteps and know extacly where they are (thanks to MMX300 Amazing sounstage, and then play Battlefield and get the F****in explosion of the building falling on me.

Am I asking the impossible here ? maybe… Maybe someone have a solution for me. I hope so.

2 Likes

You want impact? Hifiman Edition X V2s via MLP. Other than that I can think of nothing I’ve owned or heard of that gives quality and quantity of bass without compromising mids / highs.

That’ll run you $1000 at least used though…

Bassheads seem to have to compromise sub $1k. Would recommend saving or trying less bass intensive music / headphones if you’re looking for quality across the FR.

The other generic rec is Fostex TH-00 Purplehearts, but you do have to find it used. Discontinued. That’ll run you like $500.

3 Likes

@Pr3ssAltF4
Thank you for your answer. Sorry for the “noob” question, but what do you mean “via MLP” ?

Also… if they are open back thats kinda deal breaker…

Budget is a thing… but If I can have the best of all I want and they can last me for long… I can go expensive. I rather pay for something that suit my needs and be happy than paying less an disapointed.

You’d probably have to shell out for the Argons. Beyers and I believe most dynamic drivers won’t be able the handle the bass response you want without distorting. Planars, like the Argons, should be able to handle the punishment of a Bass boost.

Also, the TH-610s, I’ve heard, are a solid option. They’re not too expensive but they’re like $500 I think

1 Like

Monolith Liquid Platinum headphone amp = MLP

Why is open back a deal breaker? Have you had a good open-back before?

TH–X00 is the only ‘budget’ cans that don’t really sacrifice something major to give good bass.

You could go with argons as well if push comes to shove.

Beyers are not basshead cans.

Honestly Fostex is probably the only recommendation that fits all the criteria you specified.

1 Like

hmm, the only recommendation I have for you here considering you already own the MMX300 are the Fostex lineup or the modded Fostex known as the Argons. The brand seems to be a bass lovers dream headphone. Also from my experience a Tube amp like recommended with the liquid platinum using NOS tubes will increase the low end further as well as certain pad swaps to a headphone.

While this is true if you have tried the mmx300 its one very bassy headphone. T5P, dt 990, and Tygrs also have a lot of bass presence to them but not as much as the mmx300s.

1 Like

Ok thank you for the explanations for the MLP AMP

Its Deal breaker “for now” because I’m in a room where the sounds coming out of my headphones can be heard in all my apartment…eventually I’ll go live in a home but not yet. At this point I might be able to have some open Headphones, but not right now.

what’s your budget? maybe I missed that

and maybe a tl;dr of the post lol

That’s fine most closed headphones will have a better low end anyway. Your explaination on preferences though I would again say Fostex lineup would definitely be a great spot for you though these are expensive outside of like mentioned purplehearts or the other “massdrop” variations if you can find them. Argons are great too Imo they have a better bass than the mmx300 but its not much of an upgrade and it takes a while to get them. I did forget the Emu Teak too which has a very nice bass to it. Mezes are another that are good on the bass but i dont feel these are as bassy as the others listed just very enjoyable. Any headphone thats described as being very warm and not bloated or muddy should work for you. This also may help you with choice on the Fostex if you choose the massdrop variations

as seen purpleheart has the most bass

1 Like

Gotta get that bass man

4 Likes

Yes I saw these as a reference in multiple Zeos reviews, but it seems that the MMX300 are making Argons less attractive :

Time stamp: 4:43

And I don’t know at which point I’ll get the bass I get with the “kinda shitty” Beats Pro or “shitty” Man’o’War with something like the Argons… Like technically I’m aware that I’m asking the impossible… Asking ALL the frequency line at the best is something that cannot happen from what I heard “from headphones at least”.

Well, you may actually be looking for a W signature then. Though I don’t have much experience with that sound signature. Beats pro and man 'o war are garbage in comparison to mmx300 or argons and may as well not exist in comparison to a Fostex.

I didn’t talked about my budget because if I get what I want I’ll want to pay for that. But around 1k for the whole thing would be pretty the max I could do.

Zeos really isn’t the end all be all of headphone reviewers. Watch a few more if you can. Zeos also tends to overemphasize or underemphasize mannnnny things based on his personal preferences. Be very careful watching his stuff.

Get a neutral, high end, punchy, headphone with a good amp. Otherwise you’ll be lacking the slam and quality that you want. If you’re willing to compromise, get the TH-X00 Purplehearts. That’s kinda the end of the story here. There are very few headphones that fit your criteria.

1 Like

As T50RP owner, eh? I mean, bass yes, basshead bass, kinda? Maybe?
They take well to a bass boost though.
Instead of the T50RP, consider the T20RP with has the most bass of the series.

↑ this

1 Like

hmm okay well id suggest maybe the Sony mdr z7 or a focal headphone

the Sony has monstrous bass and very nice mid presence and timbre and nice detailed highs

focal headphones are known for their dynamics (they get loud) and the elex has that w signature @Falenkor eluded to that you may be looking for

2 Likes

This is practically any review in a nutshell, its subjective and can be biased or overemphasized. The guy practically called the dt 880s one of the best headphones and I personally can’t stand that headphone meanwhile he demonized the pm-50 and outside the pads I didn’t find much wrong with them.

I have heard this said though I don’t have experience with the t20rps. However these are very mod friendly headphones.

With that kind of budget. E-mu Teak or one of the massdropped Fostex would probably be your bassiest setup pair that with a proper very warm amp and dac maybe even get a bass booster

1 Like

But without the bass. Focal headphones are decidedly not basshead headphones, no matter how much I love them.

2 Likes

I was thinking this but like pr3ss said they aren’t very bassy despite being of the W signature variety.

1 Like

You’re right, but here’s the thing:

From all the headphones I’ve heard in my life (And my friend had some pretty decent headphones don’t quite remember the name) (I’ll come back to you on that),
There’s no headphones other than the Beats PRO (which are really not in the same range than the Studio or solo ) and the Man’o’war that I can say they made me said stop on the bass before the headphones did.

My solution might be to keep the mmx300 for gaming and the music in general and put the Beats on really bassy music I love, but that doesn’t work because at the volume I like to play on some games like (Battlefield, Batman, etc) the bass at high volume on the MMX300 would have the same problem listed on the original post.

:rofl: :weary: