BassHead, but also appreciates mid and highs

I mean, at that point why not just get an equalizer like Peace Apo on your desktop and crank the bass? It’s free software afterall much like gamers will use hesuvi or dolby atmos for that virtual surround sound software. Amps and Dacs can offer more low end and more customization to your sound as well as even bass sliders on them too that do a good job

I mean, My mayflower MKII have that DSP option that kinda bassboost everything and its working fine. Its just that the MMX300 can’t handle the volume. Like the amount of bass is good until I reach maybe… 80% of the max volume I could want. After that they start to crack like I said. Also even with the DSP option disabled at some point in the volume knob mids (depending on the sound) seems to distord too… Is it a amp issue ? Is this amp correctly feeding my MMX300 ? I don’t technically know.

If you talk about another amp and another headphone then yes of course…theres always options out there its just that I’m really peaky with what I want and I’m not sure from my experience I’ll get something that fits all.

Have you considered getting an active sub for the feel and open back headphones?

3 Likes

Btw to all you guys, I really appreciate your fast answer!

My friend with High end audio Headphones is supose to come here tomorrow and make me ear his 3 pairs and he also have 1-2 amps that I’ll be able to listen to. I’ll give everything a try and come back to you afterwards.

2 Likes

Just sit on the subwoofer. Saves you the money for the chair :stuck_out_tongue: !

This is an ideal candidate

All jokes aside. For real speaker level bass you need a bigger budget or need to give up the ideal of a good all-around performer. TH-X00, Hexv2, or maybe argons. The argons won’t be much better than what you’re using. Neither will the 99s.

If you’re willing to give up head shaking bass, the options open up a lot.

3 Likes

You mean a proper Subwoofer ? … I do have decent speakers on my desk, but I rarelly use them as my Apartment is pretty open (top walls are open on the office room) so Yes I would like to play with a 7.2.4.2.4.5.2 speaker set :sweat_smile: (don’t actually check the numbers ) but I don’t have the room for that right now and for the time I play/listen to music (pretty late at night like now) hihi I cannot have a subwoofer.

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking, where the fuck do the last 4,5, and 2 go? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

Hey thats a sick idea ! Do you have experience with this?

Yeah… 14 WEEKS. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ll echo what others have said and say that argons/th-x00s seem like very good options as far as bass response is concerned, I have been keeping my eye out for some nice purplehearts on the used market but in the UK they seem harder to get.

I’ll also add in the Audioquest Nighthawks as they get that ear shaking rumble without distorting for me from my asgard 3, although they are semi open.

1 Like

I’m still questioning myself with the nighthawks. Everyone says these have tons of bass. I don’t get it. The only way to get the bass is to push the cups with my hands on my head. Otherwise it has not really much bass. I still think its just a thing with the headphone floating on my head.it has no clamp at all and that causes that problem for me. Ive even found measurements on that topic from a reviewer somewhere. .

That’s odd, I get loads like most people seem to have experience with. The clamp is relatively low for me but I setill get good sound from mine.

It seems to be an issue with the sealing of the pads. It sits so loose on my head that it moves everytime I move my head.

But anyways, this isn’t the topic here …

Second the MDR Z7M2…fully closed back, consumer ‘fun’ tuning. Fostex/Emu/Denon, I hear, leak a fair bit so they’re more like semi open from an isolation perspective. Argons, while categorized as closed, are based on a semi-open can and leak a little as well. Nighthawks have really nice quality bass, but not basshead level quantity, IMO…and they’re semi open. Maybe a Fostex T20RP with a pad swap?

Also, I doubt the Mayflower is going to provide the low end impact of something along the lines of even a Liquid Spark or Magni 3+. For anything harder to drive (i.e. most planars or higher ohm Beyers), moving to the Asgard 3 or equivalent would be recommended.

2 Likes

Sadly not, would like to try that though.
Was just an idea I got from scrolling through the replies here.

Ollo Audio has an interesting solution for this…

1 Like

If you can get a good fit?..then job done :+1:

Lots of good suggestions on here. For wired, entry-level audiophile headphones with big bass, I agree with the seeming consensus on here that something Fostex-based is a good approach. I’m also gonna throw out a potential wireless solution: Sony WH-1000XM3. They are BT and ANC, but they have a very bassy sound signature. They’re not as detailed in the mids and highs as the wired Fostex options, but nor are they terrible.

If you want a wired desktop solution, I think these are your three best options:

1. Massdrop-Fostex T(H/R)-X00 Purplehearts. They’re easy to drive but hard to find (discontinued)
  2. Monolith Liquid Spark + Dekoni Blue. The Dekoni Blue is a Fostex T50RPMKIII mod. With the stock hybrid pads they are bass cannons. The mids and treble are so-so with the same pads.
  3. Monolith Liquid Spark + Fostex T50RPMKIII or T20RP + Shure 1540 Pads. The Shure pads will work with the Dekoni Blues, too. But, if you’re gonna get the Shure pads, get a regular Fostex headphone to save a little cash.

See if any of those scratch your bass itch enough.

1 Like

I’m very intrigued what will the headphone finally be with “speaker level mid + highs and bass to rule em all”. Might actually buy one them if there is any eventually.
That you can play deafening loud levels and have it all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m swapping the pads on my MMX 300s to Beyer’s EDT 770 S pads. I theorize that having thinner pads, compared to the Dekoni’s, might result in better rumble. I’ll let you know OP whether they are an upgrade when I receive them.

As to EQ, I made a bass boost preset with Peace EQ based off ifi’s XBass. I can share with you if you’d like?

1 Like