BassHead, but also appreciates mid and highs

Well, if you’re willing to technically step down in soundstage / imaging quality in exchange for bass and detail across the fr then I’d wholeheartedly recommend the MDR-7506 (with a pad swap) with an iFi xDSD. If you power these properly these things are fucking great. Nice V shaped signature with detail and punch.

I love these headphones.

2 Likes

This actually may help you quite a bit. Theres a link to a more extensive explaination on that page as well that goes to head-fi. I actually forgot bout the sonys and especially JVC. He does a bass paper test against even the Fostex and records and rates them. This should help you find your bass I would think. JVC are the “subwoofer” headphones though.

1 Like

Ok, sorry guys I could not reply all day because its a new account and I had to wait until tonight.
Thanks for all your replies. Its really appreciated. This is definitely a great community.

SO !

I’ve cheked everything you’ve posted and I was so confused about what to do.
My friend came in tonight with his stuff:

Amp: Audio-GD R2R 11

Headphones:

• Focal Elear
  • HiFiMAN HE-500
  • Neumann NDH-20

And we did a lot of test with both my amp and his. Switched from my MMX300 to his HE-500 (the one of the three I actually prefer) and here is my conclusion:

My MMX300 is a good Bassy headphones that is kinda hard to drive.
The thing is the amount of bass I have with my MMX300 is enough, but they won’t handle the volume and because of that the headphones are clipping way to early for me.

If the DSP option of my mayflower is ON and I play something like Wunna - Gunna and crank the volume, my Amp is actually not giving enough power to handle it and I hear the crackle sound on the right cup.

If my DSP option is OFF I can get a little bit louder, but then my MMX300 are clipping.

My MMX300 on his amp (on High gain): I get the same result that with my amp but the volume knob is not as high as mine (definitely normal considering the wattage per channel he have).

So, that means that my Mayflower gotta go, and my MMX300 too…I still have the chance to get a refund so I’ll take it. Thats sad, but thats life. This is a very good kit, but for normal citizen that doesn’t require a ton of volume… I do…

So then I looked at @Orion_Xavier post and from what I understand, his Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO sound actually good with an appropriate amp. Did some research and came to this conclusion:

Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO are V shaped headphones that are easy to drive and they will fit all my needs :

• Competitive Gaming (Counter-Strike with soundstage and imaging)
  • Fun Gaming : things like Batman Arkam knight or Battelfield 4, etc
  • Bassy music (Deadmau5, EDM, Hiphop, Rap)
  • High end music ( PinkFloyd, Mozart and so on)

(There’s no way they will excel in every domains, but that’ll do)

So if I can get a refund for everything (appart from the Dekoni pads) I could get this kit:

Headphones:

Amplifier:

DAC:

I know that its pricier, but from what I can see here and there on the web, the amp/headphone is actually a good combo. The DAC is just something that does the job IMO but if you have better Idea, I’m open to that.

@Orion_Xavier Could you validate that this kit would do the job ? Are you satisfied with the volume you get with your Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO ?

I don’t think your going to be okay with this headphone sorry to say. It’s not bassy enough and I wouldn’t call it a V signature as much as a Neutral U style signature. It can get bassier by changing the pads but not as much as an argon or mmx300. Here is the frequency of the 177x go. Just in general beyers are not very bassy headphones. Tygr300r, dt 990, T5P, and mmx300 are a bit of an exception but if you feel the mmx300 isn’t enough I think you may need a different headphone brand.

This may not be the best choice, honestly I just don’t like this amp I find there is better alternatives. You would be better off with an Asgard 3 for the warmth or a Tube amp.

I would suggest switching this to an E30 if anything as i find it better.

Edit:

For competitives you really don’t want a lot of bass to begin with. This kills any competitive value a headphone has as rumble and large amounts of bass destroy footstep sounds and proper placement in game. You can’t really have an extremely hard bass and play competitive properly

1 Like

I really find that hard to believe. I had those headphones. They were flat and very boring, no bass whatsoever. If you try to EQ up the bass they start distorting badly.

I saw the reviews on Amazon and thought they would be good but they’re not. They’re actually what got me to upgrade to the Sennheiser HD8 DJ. Except their midrange just sounds wrong, it’s not only recessed it sounds “hollow.” I tried EQ’ing but there are just too many dips to fix their sound. But they have great sub-bass, maybe not the most detailed but at least it’s there without distorting at loud volume.

I can vouch for this. I’m using them now. They are pretty good for bass impact but lack sub-bass at loud volume, and start to distort.

I’m really fine with the bass MMX300 offer it might not be as intense as my Beats pro, but I still can live with it. The thing that bothers me is the highest volume they can get.

As soon as I put the MMX300 on my head in CS GO I felt the difference. Even if there was bass, that would not be enough to say that the clarity of the foot steps were masked.

Oh shooo… I though I had the kit I needed. Then from what I see now is that Beyerd might not be for me… @Falenkor You were actually right.

I mean, I own almost every single beyer in the lineup and those that I don’t own I have auditioned and got rid of. Bright headphones are kind of my thing. I would like to think I know quite a bit on them despite being new to the audiophile world.

That’s because the bass on the mmx300 is not complete overkill in gaming and they tuned it so it would still be okay. Argons are another story as the low end is a bit of a different story and is pushed forward a bit more in the mix despite that fantastic for casual gaming you can also push the argons a lot more than the mmx300 and they can be balanced making them more versatile just without a microphone. Generally for competitive though it boils down to really just how serious are you in the competitive scene lol. Personally, I play a lot of competitives but I don’t care as long as everything sounds good and theres quite a bit of bass to my game so things sound livelier. I don’t play to be a professional, not anymore at least. Hopefully that guide I posted with those other headphones was of some use at least but I would still say just go grab a Fostex or E-mu Teak. Considering what your wanting I think these you’d fall in love with.

With some songs, yes they are good. But with some songs with too much sub-bass it causes the drivers to distort and rattle at loud volume. They have good impact, but it makes me want to push the volume more and that’s when they sound like a mess. Some of it is probably because the music I listen to is from YouTube and may also not be recorded very well.

The bass notes on this song sounds great though at loud volume on the DT 177X Go, the bass impacts and reverbs nicely and feels strong.
Steve Void - Can’t Feel My Face

So I guess I’m trying to say they are like 3.8/5.0 for bass. They are really sensitive to bass EQ’ing (even pushing 1dB can make them distort). Which is better than a lot of headphones which are anemic with sub-bass. But still not what I’m looking for (authoritative sub-bass at loud volume).

I’ll be able to test the Meze 99 Classics tomorrow. But I think I might have to keep my sights on Fostex TH909 or maybe the TH900, as they’re the only ones that have the sound signature I like and can get really loud without distorting.

I wouldn’t say they are basshead levels but they do sound great!.

1 Like

Plus shipping and customs which can be a good 3-6 weeks depending on where you live :slight_smile:

Fostex TH900 MKII, you mean? Yeah I saw the delivery date was about a month from now. $1260.

I read Zeos’s review where he was gushing over them, he was hitting all my checkmarks for what I want in a headphone. Then I watched his sound demo, the 3rd track… piercing, reverberating upper midrange. At the end of the demo he said that song sounded different in the recording than it does when he listens to the headphones…

After watching 4 other reviews, including Joshua Valour’s review titled “The Punishers” they all agree that they have painful levels of upper midrange (and recessed lower midrange).

I think the 909s share this sound signature because I heard Audio46’s review state “female vocals sound great on these” which is what you get from exaggerated upper midrange. But without lower midrange you get a “thinner” female vocal sound.

The 909s also have problems with a lot of amps since they’re 25 ohm, but the 900s are 25 ohm and don’t suffer the same issues for some reason. So I guess I’m leaning more towards the 900s right now. And I can hopefully just fix the midrange performance with EQ adjustments.

Hmmm. I am very skeptical we had the same headphone. Very V shaped (almost too much for a studio monitor). Did you ever amp them? If what I’m hearing is no bass or flat you’re gonna have a hard time finding something to satisfy you imo. Especially if you don’t want to shell out more than your budget.

I’ve used MDR 7506s off and on for ~20 years, and they still get head time with the ridiculous cans I have (Eikons, Clears, Hexv2, Elegias, PM-50s). There’s good reason for that. Don’t get me wrong, they have their problems, but I would never describe these as flat or lifeless. Slightly hollow mids sure, but that’s what you trade for the extension, detail, and dynamics for the price.

I don’t EQ things. If they don’t sound good out of the box, the manufacturer fucked up and you shouldn’t buy them :stuck_out_tongue:

But yea, tldr, if you don’t think these are bassy enough when amped then I’m not sure what to recommend that isn’t overly expensive.

I initiated the return process of both my MMX300 and my Mayflower AMP this morning.

I’m not a professional gamer…at ALL. That being said, even if I get to much bass in-game…if at least I can get clearer than my Beats pro or Man’o’war ( which is probably the case) i’ll be happy with that.

I’ll look in them. For sure. And then get back to you.

We’re on the same track on that. They sound good ! Nice bass, very nice mids and highs…and when you want to have some fun with them …Boom it crackle/scratch. I do hear the unpleasant sound only when a kick come.

I’ll follow that.

2 Likes

I just plugged them into my Schiit Magni 3. Sony MDR7506, correct?? They are very flat, almost no bass impact. I EQ’d the bass up 6 dB, 7, 10… 12 dB. Nothing. 75 Hz and below gets really muddy at 12 dB but it’s still hardly there. And no midbass impact. They have no low end extension. 1.0/5.0 for bass.

The problem is the drivers hardly move so there’s no bass or impact felt. It’s not an issue of powering them either, since my DT 1990 Pro has a lot more bass compared to these and is 4 times more impedance.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend the 99s… too bloomy in the bass (unless you do the cotton mod) the pads (the good ones) are too small, like they were made for toddler ears and the clamp makes me want to tear my ears off! I do like the mids on them but I’d rather shell out for a pair of 6XXs if I’m going for only mids…

Sad to hear that you got rid of your MMX300s, rest in peace, but I’ll continue to do some pad swapping until I can get them to rattle on my ears sans EQ.

1 Like

Mmm. Maybe a defective unit? I’m getting more sub rumble and mid bass impact out of the 7506s than anything I own except the hexv2s (and maybe the clears). Yea the bass gets muddy down low, that I can agree with.

Going on 20 years with various pairs of 7506s and never had the problems you’re describing.

The 1990 pro is still pretty light on the bass scale iirc. Impact yes, but not a lot of bass.

…am quite confused.

I guess I do. I also got a defective SMSL SP200 amp lol.

I just watched Zeos’s review of the MDR7506, he said they had the best low end (This was in 2014). Mine definitely have zero low end so must be defective. He also said the midrange is missing, which I also agree with. So I guess with pads they sound a lot better, but I’m really doubtful they come close to the sound my DT 1990 Pro has with Dekoni Elite pads.

1 Like

Gotta switch the pads too. The stock ones are pretty ass.