BassHead, but also appreciates mid and highs

Surprisingly, if I want A LOT of bass I grab the Monoprice Retro’s w/ XL Hybrid pads. These cans deliver in bass for me compared to what I have so far. Mids and highs aren’t too bad either (I use EQ).

1 Like

I know you already said you’re only listening to high volumes for short periods of time, but might I recommend that you attempt to take it down a notch overall? I understand the allure of high volume, but when someones says they’re making beyers distort, you have to raise an eyebrow :stuck_out_tongue:

It might be worth trying to take your volume levels down a bit as a whole. Ears, and brains, are very weird things, and if your overall volume level goes down over time, you might get used to that and eventually find it equally satisfying. Then you’ll be able to enjoy the new lower “high” levels, without shelling out too much $$ for crazy setups, or putting as much of a dent to your long term hearing.

Just my 2c, carry on!

2 Likes

I had to do it anyway because there was something in my left ear that would travel the bottom of the earcup (not audible when listening to music).[quote=“fxxr, post:63, topic:13308”]
It might be worth trying to take your volume levels down a bit as a whole. Ears, and brains, are very weird things, and if your overall volume level goes down over time, you might get used to that and eventually find it equally satisfying. Then you’ll be able to enjoy the new lower “high”
[/quote]

You’re right about that. Listening music too very high volume is damaging the hearing. The only daily source ( depend of if I’m more in a podcast mood) of high volume I generally get is my 2x 12" subs + stocks speakers in my car on the way to work.

My friend, my colleague and my dad tried my Beyerd setup and saw me trying it and crank up the volume and all of them were suprise that I was able to listen to that level.
On these 3 persons. I know at least 2 of them love listening the music in my car at the same volume as I do… And uts loud enough for me. When I ask them if they love it very loud in my car they say yes and then I ask them whats the difference between loud in headphones and loud in the car … They don’t really have an answer. My guess is that headphones doesn’t have much space to stage the sound so it make look it more aggressive, but overall, I think when I crank the volume to the max (for me) and the setup is able to handle it, I would just say I have the equivalent of being in my car, or at a club.

For the suggestion of stepping down a notch… During the first Coronavirus wave I was working at home 100% of the time, so no sub. And the setup I had was my Razer Man’o’war (without amp) so not to high volume on my motherboard even at max. I would occasionally go jogging with my beats on my Phone, almost always at max if I remember correctly, buts not nearly as loud as when I plug them into the mayflower amp. Do you thing that my jogging would destroy all the “step down a notch” thing ?

Heres a big update guys !

@Orion_Xavier You might want to read that as we kinda like the same things.

So from here and there guys I had a lot of suggestions and I thank you all for that.
After a while, I understood that with headphones/headset you can’t get everything at 100%.

You’ll either compromise on on part of the frequency spectrum.

My Beats Pro and my Man’o’War are Bass and volume monsters and they Fu***** suck at everything else in term of audio.

My Beyerdynamic MMX300 sounds good: They have enough bass, Mids and highs are AMAZING. They made me take a new look at the music… Litteraly. Music that I could’nt even listen before because it was too boring. BUT, they’re hard to drive and even properly amped, they doesn’t get loud enough for me until they distord/clip.

And from what I’ve learned from @Falenkor, these are one of the few exceptions of the Beyerds that give that much bass.

So from a lot of people I heard that getting what I want :

is not really possible because there’s too many things that my Headphones driver needs to do.

So with that in mind (this morning) I decided to go on 3 pairs of Headphones:

• One for the gaming,
  • One for the Music
  • Beats pro for the freaking punchy bass I need my Bass ordonnance :rofl:

Since I already take the refund of my Beyerds, I would need an Headset/Headphone for gaming.
I’ve returned to my one of my first choices which was Corsair Virtuoso.

After all… Zeos recently reviewed 3 pairs of wireless gaming headset… Gaming companies might have changed their mind on the shitty sound signature. And for my girlfriend Birthday I brought her the Hyper X Cloud Flight (one that Zeos reviewed not too long ago) and they were fine. They did’nt sound very loud, but they we’re very nice on the basses, mids and highs. They were just fine for my girlfriend needs.

So I went to Best Buy today and I brought a pair of Corsair Virtuoso…

They’re shit… Litteraly… HOW THE F**** can companies sell these in 2020 as an HIGH END GAMING HEADSET… WHat the hell… They sound EVEN WORSE than my Man’o’war !!
I gave them a try and I’ve plugged them into my Mayflower AMP… they do actually sound better but they still SUCK… and being plugged into an amp via 3.5 jack mean that I lose every functionalities like microphone mute button volume knob…etc

Thanks god I’ll be able to get a full refund at Best Buy, because my Wireless dongle was actually bent out of the box. What a luck…

Then I had this crazy idea to plug my girlfriend’s HyperX Cloud Flight in my amp. Since my only problem with these were the volume on wireless dongle and when I first brought it to her I didn’t had the Amp yet.

Guys, I think I found what I needed… Plugged into my amp, EVEN with the DSP option ON , these HyperX will get very loud and won’t clip or distord !
Ok… Getting these amped is like getting 90% of the basses I get from my Beats Pro, and getting 90% of the mids and Highs from the Beyerds !!

I think… I found the 10% perfect compromise for all my needs at the 1/2 price of my Beyerds.

They’re light, the confort is good (not called cloud for nothing), but I might get pads that Zeos suggested when they’ll come available for shipping here in Canada :

One other thing I actually like is that the Mic is detachable, soo I’ll be able to remove it and use a third party mic for gaming, because the AUX jack that is on the headset is not for mic, so the headset entry on my amp is not working for them.

With the removable mic I can also actually wear them in public (they’re not to big and weird).

So for the “- One for the Music” thing might come later if needed… and I already have an amp for that but for now guys… I think these will fit all my needs ! I never thought at the beginning of this thread that my solution was actually at 6-7 feet from me… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I mean, you could’ve asked us on that one? Lmfao not going to lie I got a good laugh out of this comment.

Those clouds are based off an actual headphone the takstars iirc to be exact and just sound great with a good bass to them despite being a gaming headphone. Alpha and Flight are really damn good in the gamer headset market and some of the best of the genre for that price range so this doesn’t surprise me at all that you enjoy them. The other special exceptions to these would be like the mh751 from coolermaster and the end game gaming headsets the Audeze mobius or the orbit which is the wired counterpart and of course steel series arctis pro + gamedac or steel series arctis wireless(of which gamedac can gain so much bass it vibrates the entire damn headphone without bleeding through the mic cause it has a built in manual equalizer on its dac)

hmm, interesting thought honestly. Those are the cooling gels too which can solve one of the issues of closed backs. I think it’s worth a try. Audeze mobius has it’s own variation that also works on orbit called the Cryo Pad which are absolutely incredible too.

I believe thats a 3.5mm jack right? Pick up the V-moda Boom pro its probably your best bet. Absolutely incredible mic.

Hmm, Just do keep in mind that wireless does sacrifice an awful lot of quality in the sound. You may like the wired variations even more. Strange that you decided to go with a gamers headset they definitely aren’t very audiophile headphones. Nonetheless glad to hear you found what you are looking for

1 Like

I had to make quick move :sweat_smile: They were in stock at the nearest Bestbuy and it was 15:30 and they close at 17:00.

Hmmm interesting. The HyperX cloud flight doesn’t actually come with an 3.5 audio cable, soo I need to get one anyway… I was thinking to get like a thing with an arm and a anti-pop filter and all that, but now that you said that I’ve already cheked this one and its seems to have good reviews. That would save me a lot of time checking every mics review and actually have the small thing doing a great job instead of having a big setup. The headphones actually have 2X 3.5 jack: one for the detachable mic and the other one to use the headset wired. Do you thin this will actually work on my Mayflower Headset amp ?

I don’t think I will use them wireless, because the lack of volume, but its an option if I need it someday. Do you think I should get the wired version even if I will use the the cloud flight wired ? Do you think there’s any sound quality improvement from that ?

What is the exact equivalent of the HyperX Cloud Flight in wired verion and can I detach the AUX cable for the V-Moda mic ?

This method is the streamer method or studio method howver you wanna call it. There is no gaming headset mic that can compete in clean sound when it comes to this setup. If you have the budget I would suggest going with it. Otherwise you will be fine with a v-moda.

I own the alphas and original clouds and they work on my amp. Just be sure to dial the nob back big time. Hyperx headsets don’t need much driving power at all put it low gain if you have a switch for it and ease it forward otherwise you will run the risk of blowing the headphone. It should work just fine though I don’t see much of a reason for you to go down that route with a wireless headset, you may find the wired variations of their lineup better in this case. It’s extremely low ohm so it can run no issues on all applications.

Most definitely I think theres room for improvement. However, like any headphone the flights have a particular signature. I would invest some time into researching their other headphones find one thats similar yet wired or more to your preference and go with that. Flights are nice but if you don’t plan to go with their intended use wihich is wireless you stand to gain more from a wired setup. However, I don’t know the flights completely and they may make up for that loss in quality by connecting them through a wired however I have my doubts on that one.

Hmm, let me think… It definitely wouldn’t be the revolvers as they are a special headset in the lineup all on their own. Mix is a hybrid wired and wireless at the same time and to my opinion is just kind of bad. It would have to be Cloud 2, Alpha(S variation adds a 7.1 surround sound dongle and if I recall it has bass sliders on the headphone which open up the sound more and of course adds bass), or Stinger(has a brand new version called core). They all should have detachable mics. Revolver though is pretty unique as it has a pretty damn large soundstage I just hate the mic and the headband sucks big time. Hard to say if any are the exact equivelant. I would say look up the frequency responses as I don’t own the flight myself. As for the mic, certain plugs from hyperx cannot make use of this microphone as it has a weird pop filter design to it.

Edit: so I just pulled out my old alphas and tried my v-moda. Works fine.

1 Like

Meh. I’m not a streamer at all and for now that will do.

I was actually talking about using V-Moda Mic on my Headset entry on my amp. I was asking that because the stock mic won’t work because it has its own jack on the Headset. But I think adding the v-moda on the same jack will do.

BTW I crank these at 3/4 - 5/8 High gain with DSP ON without hearing actual distortion and they actually hit my max volume tolerance… which you can now understand is pretty high :joy:

I actually found the answer for that : Cloud Original
So the guy that said that also said that the clamping was better on the flight than the Original one, so only that makes me wanna stay in the safe zone of the Flight that I actually have on my head right now.

Great !!! I’ll get V-Moda then. In the future I might want to become the next PewDiePie but for now if it does the job that will be very fine for what I need.

I mean, in that regard then again like I said cloud 2. Cloud 2 is the later edition that ironed out a lot of issues. Though I do personally feel alphas sound a hell of a lot better.

hmm, this should work just fine if memory serves. Should help it clean up a bit more.

Lol all I can say is good luck on that.

1 Like

I was kiding. Floor gang forever :joy:

1 Like

So, I just looked up the frequencys for the flight and I was wrong. It’s the exact same frequency practically as the “Cloud Core” which is the original clouds however the original clouds had some treble fall off this is much more balanced so its an improved cloud. In terms of frequency it seems that the flight have the best balanced sound to them even though they are wireless as well as shockingly they have the most bass. I can’t compare them to the new stingers as I can’t find that frequency however I would just keep the flight and make them wired at that point while swapping those pads.

So, Upon researching that frequency more on the Flight. that is a bit of a strange frequency Lows, Mids, and Highs are all raised on the normal Flight however the low bass and low mids fall in line with a neutral frequency.

Edit: upon doing some digging I was curious as to the difference between flight and Flight s.

thats the flight S. Interesting as it’s not as bassy, the low mids go a bit darker there, and that treble dip is pretty damn huge. I would definitely take the normal flight over it and the only real difference other than this sound is the pads and the 7.1 surround sound. Which you can get better pads and adding 7.1 you can get from Hesuvi and Dolby Atmos

1 Like

The Beyerdynamic Custom Headset Gear works too, depending on what is available cheaper.

1 Like

Went out and picked up the Hyperx Flight myself. I can see why you appreciate the bass @David_Grenon really good extension overall on the bass mids drop out a little on the low end and it’s noticeable but has a good tonality with some warmth and clarity on vocals alongside a definitely noticeable treble being raised. This sounds… very W signatured. Going to pick up some different pads for it… the pads on it originally really suck in my opinion… pancake pads. I tried putting velour on them… yeah don’t do that it completely destroys the bass lol Going to pick up some suedes for them. The other complaint is they feel rather like cheap plastic and I hate the head band… I liked the original clouds design much more padding and the actual pads on the cans were much softer especially on alphas where the pads are wider and thicker. I am actually very surprised and actually impressed… this is probably the first “wireless gaming headset” that sounds this good. Soundstage is very intimate though I find this a relatively linear sound and somewhat lacking. Would recommend a pad swap to either sheepskins or suedes of a thicker variety and pick up a new headband strap, companies like beyerdynamic sell their buttonable headband straps for like $15. The microphone isn’t the clearest and I definitely think V-moda sounds a hell of a lot better and clearer… though for wireless it definitely isn’t bad by any means and the noise cancellation on it is quite superb as I can blow out my eardrums and it won’t bleed through. Probably keep this as a backup cheapo gaming headset

1 Like

I did a quick search and didnt see anyone mention the 1more triple over. Its a solid choice, but there is a small dip in FR where the crossover is, but no issues with the mids and highs being compromised outside of that. Also VERY pleasing bass response. Just not the most comfortable for my ears.

1 Like

What you said. I sent them back, very uncomfortable to me…

So far soo good ! I like them A LOT.

Yup I received the pads I was planning to command:

And they’re very nice and confy IMO. definetly keeping these. The cooling gel is also a cool feature because when I put them I can feel the small cold feeling.

I don’t feel this to be mandatory for me now even with very long gaming/listening session, but that might be a good idea. You think beyerd strap would fit on them ?

I’m very satisfied of the V-Moda mic plugged into my Mayflower dac/amp. I don’t know a lot about mics but I can definitely see a big difference between the stock one vs v-moda one…but its only because its wireless I think. Anyway the mic that came with, doesn’t work while the headset is plugged in.

I do use the wireless dongle with the stock mic at my job tho. That makes a lot easier to transport, plug and I don’t need much volume. I still brought the Carrying case for it as you mentionned they feel cheap a little like plastic feeling but I guess if you take care of them you won’t have much trouble with them and I guess you can’t have everything in this world…

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B06WRT9ZCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m very glad you liked them at the end. So far everything I throw at them feel rock solid.

2 Likes

Not mandatory no but would help. Not quite sure if beyers strap would fit them. I would think it would since its fairly average in sizing. Not like they are very expensive either those straps from beyer are like $12 - $15.

Nah, nothing to do so much with wireless as much as just gaming headsets mic quality tend to be garbage. Theres a reason that modmics and v moda just kill microphone from the gaming industry they cut corners on them big time. Sounds like you have a bit of a faulty unit on the wiring it shouldnt kill the mic. I actually have to send the copy I bought back as the sound is slowly just dieing I have ot preamp my system a lot more just to get it loud unless its powered by its cable which at that point why am i buyin a wireless gamer headset.

yeah unfortunately. I just mention they feel cheap as its the strangest thing how the build quality on this is compared to their others of the cloud series which instead of plastic are leatherette and steel framed. Not quite sure what they were thinking with this one with such a cheap build quality.

Yeah, I do like them its just unfortunate they went faulty. I resorted to essentially just going to grab a shp9500 in this case and modifying it to have hard hitting bass and enclosing it with the 3d cup mod so the mids don’t get heavy recession.

1 Like