Best audio purchase of the year? - 2020 Edition

I decided for them just because of the looks over the Dali Spektro 2 or Triangle Elara (LN01).
So far, I like them a lot.

1 Like

The T5Vs do have some hiss. I notice it occasionally between tracks or during very quiet passages. Of the 40-50 hours a week I spend listening to these (I work at home and have music constantly playing), I notice it maybe once or twice a week.

1 Like

interesting, thank you. I’m interested in this because i certainly would not play music constantly out of them so having silent speakers is important as noise easily gets irritating and fatiguing.

I use them in nearfield and initally had a ground loop problem, but that was my MOBOs fault. After that there might be a slight hiss, but you can barely hear it. Great set, cannot recommend them enough. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Klipsch HP-3 for me!

5 Likes

After a long listening session last night, I have to say it was a 3/4’ oak dowel and about 10 sq feet of automotive sound deadening foil sheets. What did you do today?

2 Likes

I’m going to have to recant that statement. There is some static and you can definitely hear it, but it’s not very loud, at least it doesn’t bother me. It also depends on distance, it’s pretty annoying if I put my ear near the tweeter, but it’s okay from about 60cm away. It also probably depends on the speakers you get, some might have more static, some might have less.

1 Like

noted, the thing is i need something that i can be comfortable with in a silent environment, it’ unfortunate that they have this issue i think i would really like the sound. I would definitively get them for TV and such, but nearfield is different.

I can hear mine if my ear is up against it… more than 6 inches no… not really

1 Like

I fell into the audiophile world only this year (via zeos) after wanting better headphones for music production, man I opened a door to a blackhole i didn’t think would be this big!

Best purchase overall was without a doubt a dedicated DAC/HP AMP stack, first Schiit Modi3/Heresy then Topping E30/L30.

Otherwise it’s my 1990’s.

Waiting on deliveries of Rupert Neve RNHP & Focal Elegia’s hopefully before the year is out!

7 Likes

@darylc Quite a smart and impressive start. Welcome to the pit! But it IS really fun. Still amazes me how tiny changes in the chain can have such a big impact on the sound…and enjoyment.

2 Likes

Yea it’s fun alright, I enjoy the learning end of this type of stuff as much as the results.
I’ve been in music production for over 15 years, working with an RME FF400 and Adam A7’s but specifically for headphones the jump in quality of DAC/AMP’s even at entry level these days are quite impressive compared to the RME.

2 Likes

Kef LS50 Meta’s plus a pair of Lyngdorf active subs and Townshend seismic bars to sit them all on.
Still running in but singing beautifully already.

4 Likes

I’m going to say the DarkVoice 336SE.

Its my first tube amp and a departure from all my solid state gear.

6 Likes

The T5Vs are nearfield monitors. I have them on Soundrise stands on my desk. The tweeters are inline with my ears and 3 feet away. Unless you’re obsessing about it, the hiss is not an issue. It’s less noticeable than the hiss present on the average analog album. I tried out the JBL 305P MKII for a few months and they had about the same amount of hiss. They were also nowhere near as good as the T5Vs, IMO.

IMO, your concern about hiss might ruin these speakers for you. Now don’t ruin them for us. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Bought most of my “Hifi” this year, as I began this journey by Nov last year. Still, the Focal Elegia is clear on my mind as “the purchase”. The only reaction to my first listen was “holy sh#t!”. They turned me from “Am I crazy to spend $400 on a headphone” to “Ok, I should save money for a Focal Clear”.

SMSL SA300 is probably the second. I was so pissed at the whole “5 months to deliver” situation, it was clear in my mind I was going to sell them. But one day listening to the RB42 with it, and the little Loxjie went straight back to the box.

4 Likes

Lol

10chrtr limit

Bit confusing thread, if not limited to items that actually came out in 2020 :\

Liquid Platinum for $286 new from Monoprice. The performance to cost ratio = amazeballs.

4 Likes

It’s not limited to items that came out this year. Just the best audio thing that u purchased this year