Best audio purchase of the year? - 2020 Edition

Yeah my blon 03 come out when it’s raining or if I want to travel light. Haven’t invested into iems… Yet.

@Jose_G
I would say the other transformative experience I had this year was discovering how well a high-tier IEM can perform. There is truly a huge gap between entry/mid-tier to the high-tier range. It was to a point where the IEM can match, if not at times, surpass a flagship headphone in the same price range. The capability of the IEM is astonishing. I know most people are reluctant to throw down money for such a small product, but the level of engineering must be pretty great.

3 Likes

For me, my budget has been tight this year. What I can say is that I am really enjoying my purchases of Japanese IEMs. The Sony EX800st and the JVC FDX1 are both stellar for the price. Also I would like to mention the find on some good tip purchases. Xelastic are fantastic for comfort and seal. Epro horns are cool too for the different sound profile they add to IEMs. Looking forward to more IEM purchases as I’m becoming a Sony fanboy LOL. Cheers all!

4 Likes

Beyerdynamic T1.2 is for sure the number one. Love that headphone above all my others

Lake People G109s and the Bottlehead Crack :grimacing:

4 Likes

Focal Clear Pro all the way without any doubt.

3 Likes

i looove my sony earbuds. good stuff. also the jvc are amazing, if i decide i want a higher end iem in the future i’m definetly going with a higher end jvc

2 Likes

Higher up would be their wood line and I worry if I will like the sound, so thats why I’ve held off. May make for a good discussion in another thread. Sony is no sleeper either tho so… :wink:

1 Like

I bought a lot of gear this year, but had some great results:

1. Monoprice Liquid Platinum and Violectric V220 are a Great 1-2 punch.
  2. Although one is a last years purchase, I am thrilled with my Grado GH2/Focal Elex 1-2 punch.

Everything else is icing.

GREAT year for gear for me!

5 Likes

I would say LCD-XC.

1 Like

without a doubt. No audio purchases for me for the next few years

2 Likes

Completely changed my hifi experience with the Questyle QP2R.

I no longer stream, it forced me to get Audirvana, it got me into balanced etc…

It was a catalyst, an expensive one but worth it aha

2 Likes

The T5Vs are a revelation. They would be my pick for the year if it wasn’t for the miniDSP SHD. That thing is next level.

1 Like

@WaveTheory Good thread idea…a fun read. Asgard 3 made my Sundaras really come to life, especially vocals and orchestral!

2 Likes

I agree but credit for the thread should go to @Ohmboy for starting the idea in 2019 and @Jose_G for reviving it in 2020.

1 Like

Getting a subwoofer(SVS SB12-NSD in my case but it’s not really about the model) and a measurement mic to integrate it with my speakers and apply EQ properly.

I still like my Elears a ton but I haven’t been really listening with headphones much. The sub not only exposed the content in music I was missing out on(there’s still a LOT of information in the under 40hz spectrum despite what people say) but also let the speakers really shine by taking over the low end duties.

SMSL DA-8s

I haven’t bought much in the way of audio gear this year - too much spent on the home office other equipment (an insanely expensive 21:9 5K monitor). Working from home means I can use speakers rather than headphones (which make my ears too hot). Mind you, in a short time I might be able to say KEF LS50s.

Even though I won’t have them in hands this year these are my best purchase.

It’s be quite a ride.

Realizing when I started down this road I wanted US produced gear ( I reside in EU). I now see I’ve tested 1000’s of dollars worth of Schiit, Audeze and ZMF this year bought used and sold usually at cost or at a small loss…totally worth what I hear and love now.

12 Likes

Either the Lake People G103 or the Airmotiv B1+'s. Hard to decide.

Honorable mention: Porta Pro’s

8 Likes

My ATH AWAS. I adore the sound signature it’s perfect for my tastes and plays well with my equipment.
Next was my Border Patrol SEi DAC for my 2 channel system. Great synergy, I very much enjoy what it does to digital music via my source. Love what it brings to the table and how it implements it.
Lastly, is my endgame 2 channel amplifier for at least the next year! :joy:. My Vinnie Rossi L2i-se integrated. Some things you just have to experience for yourself to understand why or what’s so special about them. This is one of those pieces.

5 Likes

That better be till death do you part! Not that I’m trying to hurry up and kill you but I want the name of the people doing your estate sale. LOL

2 Likes