Best audio purchase of the year? - 2020 Edition

Where I’ve settled for the foreseeable future…

Desktop - Soekris 1541, Violectric V281, LTA MZ2, LCD-24, ZMF Eikon

Portable - Cayin N6ii, Jomo Trinity SS, NCM Bella V2

Lots of other stuff has come and gone (or is going)…if I had to pick just one item, though, it’d have to be the LCD-24. I think it’s my sonic soulmate.

8 Likes

BWAAAHHAHAHA!

1 Like

good choice :+1:

1 Like

Those still interest me

1 Like

the one that deserves the credit (blame?) for getting me into this rabbit hole: 4xx/edition xx
the one that’s my favorite sentimentally: edition x v2
the one that sounds the best: lcd24/diana v2
the one that was the most pleasant surprise: HD800s
the one that wow’d me the most: th900, arya, lcd24
the most beautiful: th909

I hope that counts as an answer :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

How so? I think 2021 will finally be the year I get to hear this headphone I’ve been chasing for so long now…!

1 Like

My best purchase in audio this year has hands down been -W O O D-. First it was the Grado Hemp that pretty much turned me into a Grado fan boy, and now the Lawton cups. Wood just sound so good to me.

4 Likes

I hear mixed things, that the treble is too sharp, the bass is lacking and that only thing noteworthy is the soundstage but its just artificially wide and not really anything actually that special.

I didn’t find any of the above to be true in my personal experience. Currently I am deciding if I will keep it or my he1000v2

1 Like

I’ll be around, if you feel you need a break from it for a little while. :wink:

Schiit magni 3+ and SMSL SU8, Kali audio LP6, Schiit Loki to start… Then came the Schiit Jotenheim and Adam T5Vs and a 10" sub. Moved to the Schiit Asgard 3, Monoprice Liquid platinum, and Schiit Bifrost 2, and a Meier audio Corda jazz and Koss ESP95x,

Headphones have been a whole different story… Drop 58x, Drop 4xx ,Audioquest OG Nighthawks, Focal Elex, Hifiman edition X v2, Dan Clark Aeon 2s, Audeze LCD2 pre fazor… Almost forgot the high end stuff !! Koss portapro’s, Ksc75s, and Kph30i…

IEMs are Shozy form 1.1, IKKO oh1s, Guideray i58s, Astell &Kern Billie jeans, Fiio FH3s, Blon BL03s and Campfire Andromeda 2020s.

I still have almost all as I use one different setups at home. Favorite for dektop is LP and Lcd2 and as for mobile the Andro 2020 and my little Fiio BTR3k.

EDIT: I really need to pay attention to the title… Hard to pick just one so will go with BF2, LP, LCD2 pre

4 Likes

Can I ask you if you hear any hiss out of these speakers? I want to buy them but i hear conflicting things about them hissing in nearfield.

Asgard 3 and LCD2 for me. I was able to stay well within my means. Next year might be a different story.

4 Likes

I decided for them just because of the looks over the Dali Spektro 2 or Triangle Elara (LN01).
So far, I like them a lot.

1 Like

The T5Vs do have some hiss. I notice it occasionally between tracks or during very quiet passages. Of the 40-50 hours a week I spend listening to these (I work at home and have music constantly playing), I notice it maybe once or twice a week.

1 Like

interesting, thank you. I’m interested in this because i certainly would not play music constantly out of them so having silent speakers is important as noise easily gets irritating and fatiguing.

I use them in nearfield and initally had a ground loop problem, but that was my MOBOs fault. After that there might be a slight hiss, but you can barely hear it. Great set, cannot recommend them enough. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Klipsch HP-3 for me!

5 Likes

After a long listening session last night, I have to say it was a 3/4’ oak dowel and about 10 sq feet of automotive sound deadening foil sheets. What did you do today?

2 Likes

I’m going to have to recant that statement. There is some static and you can definitely hear it, but it’s not very loud, at least it doesn’t bother me. It also depends on distance, it’s pretty annoying if I put my ear near the tweeter, but it’s okay from about 60cm away. It also probably depends on the speakers you get, some might have more static, some might have less.

1 Like

noted, the thing is i need something that i can be comfortable with in a silent environment, it’ unfortunate that they have this issue i think i would really like the sound. I would definitively get them for TV and such, but nearfield is different.