Best closed back headphones under 300? (music/gaming)

I got you, I think I might be back to Argons then (maybe, decisions decisions oh god)

Well, since you already own the 770s if you wanted a step up from there with less brightness and more bass pick up the 177x go apply Brainwavz XL perf pads to them and they become a much better sounding U signature with a heavy bass presence while maintaining that treble though they are $450 they do go on sale every now and then and this is what replaced my own dt 770s. Meze 99s neutral warm wide and bassy are a great sounding headphone too to toss in here, Nightowls dark and bassy like stated are incredibly unique though I would say a tad too dark for gaming imo this is definitely a preference pick, Argons warm and balanced, Dekoni Blue bright and bassy, and MMX300 sounds similar to the argons imo and are just a little less wide. are all very wide bassy cans too.

1 Like

yeah, im considering waiting for 177x’s and maybe waiting, it depends on how much I like the planar sound (the 4XX’s that are coming will be my intro to that). How would you compare the 177x’s and the argons/nighthawks, esp 177x in terms of bass heavy songs/sub bass?

Argons had the most bass to my ears and is very balanced. I picked this up recently as I wanted something to go alongside my balanced liquid platinum setup these pair perfectly and are one of my favorites honestly, 177x follows that provided you change the pads as those velours really kill a lot of that bass presence the sheepskins that come with it can help with that but not as much as a perf xl from brainwavz or like a dekoni choice leather pad however this is definitely a brighter headphone than the argons and has some recessed mids really hard toss up between this and the argons depends on what you want out of your headphone, Nightowl is kinda bassy to the point it tends to bleed a little into mids, not bad but I didn’t notice this on my hawks, despite that it has a noticeable bass slam and good extensions alongside the dark sound it has with the highs being rolled off and clear mids. Due to the inherent sound though I only use my hawks for music listening and never gaming it just doesn’t sound right to me. You will probably like the 4XX though as it is another balanced yet slightly warm and intimate sound

Awesome, I appreciate the info! Long as my A50 does the 4XX’s justice, I think I’ll enjoy them too, especially to figure out what the craze is about when people mention “planar bass”. I live with someone currently, hence my search for a potential closed back bass cannon that complements or is a bass heavy upgrade to the 770’s, cause I love these things still (and eventually want to do a detachable cable mod for these when I find a place I can do it at and figure out how to do it), but imo i want a collection of headphones that all have their use case and still get some time off the shelf, that hopefully all complement each other or do what the others cannot.

And, eventually, get a pair of powered monitors when I have my own place again, so I can throw a sub in so I can have my cake and eat it, too.

Hmm, well planar bass has that speed and slam to it that is pretty unique. I won’t say the 4xx really holds a candle to the argons in terms of low end cause it really doesn’t imo and both are planar. Provided your 4xx has that return policy on them. Try them out it won’t hurt but if your still looking for a planar I definitely will point you to the argons for someone who wants bass.

i wouldn’t call them intimate . their soundstage is pretty wide they just have a good dynamic soundstage where it can place sounds very intimately and fairly far with its layering

Got ya. Even if the 4XX’s aren’t bass cannons, I think they’ll find a place in the (relatively small starter) collection of headphones as a dip into planars, and as a planar that is a little more neutral, with the X2’s as a complementary sparkle-y cannon, the 770’s as a slightly bright (imo) closed back, and (hopefully) the argons as a (relative) bass cannon that works good for my closed back purposes.

Will agree on this, and in my mind I was comparing them to Sundara lol

they really arent a headphone I would pick up as a bass headphone they are good and have bass planar extension but arent boosted in anyway so in terms of bass quantity compared to the 770 its less.

1 Like

Oh, this and the slightly warm (but still able to do treble, as I like my sparkle AND I like my big boom bass, as i’ve heard) description of the 4XX’s has me excited for them to get here. They’re off drop, so I’m not sure I could return them either way, but I’m honestly not sure I’d really want to, even if they don’t slam and murder EDM music, as even though I want a can for my murder bass purposes, I truly do like and enjoy all genres of music besides county and screamo (my spotify liked playlist is over 2k songs and the range of the artists and styles i enjoy are all over the board, and I like my indie, folky music just as much as i like my hip hop and murder bass edm music).

Really? The 770’s already sound sort of bass light imo, but that might just be my ears, or the model I have (the 80 ohm version). Good control, like doesn’t bleed into any other ranges from what my ears can hear, but not a whole ton of actual quantity of bass. For these closed backs im looking for (for reference), they would exist mainly as my bass cannons, and closed backs for being around the people I live with, so I’m basically looking for super fun edm type cans that also have good imaging (they would most likely not be my daily driver, though only time will tell). I enjoy my sparkles, I enjoy my murder bass, I just like everything to be honest.

make sure to give them time they suualkly dont sound right the first few days of listening iit takes a biit of time to get used to the sound and for them to loosen up.

Figured I would make a comment on this too though that if you decided to grab the 177x go these already have a detachable cable while sounding much better and having a more bass in comparison. It uses a four-pin mini-XLR detachable cable allowing it to be balanced.

The 250 ohm version of the dt770 has more bass from my experience not by much but noticeable.

they are especially good at this awesoime for some regina spektor or foals or unknown mortal orchestra and honestly most things you throw at it. they shine in acoustics and persuasions though

Got you, even if it had balanced it would be out of the A50 (which isn’t true balanced, though it has a balanced out), so the ability of balanced would only, at this point, be for giving the headphones more juice. And I can understand that, but even if it’s not the easiest or most convenient, the detachable mod would also be more of a project for fun for me, as I like working with my hands and making my shit work better for me through modification (i’ve wanted to try this mod for a while, just need a place to do it and back up closed backs in case I fuck up the mod, cause it would suck to kill my 770’s, but I’m ok with that in the pursuit of making them “mine” per say).

1 Like

I see, the 4XX’s seem to be a good all rounder, wouldn’t be like THE BEST for edm but can handle it just as well as other genres, and I did really pick them up to taste planar and to act as an all rounder, hence wanting a bass cannon to be a complement to them, not to replace them.

Also, haven’t heard regina spektor, my indie songs are definitely in the genre of like Harley Poe (god that guys voice is something special) or in the more main stream end, jon bellion (who jumps genres at fucking whim, not folky though, more indie or independent of genre).

if you want bass connons go with a meze 99 noir or dekoni blue or like mentioned before if you can find them used argons or 177x go. they arent cannons per say but are bass heavy cans and some of the best for bass quantity. bass is often weaker for open backs than closed generally in therms of quantity

in that case I find the 4xx already above average for gaimng I would point you towards the meze 99 noir. for that bass. not super great for gaming but great for the bass.

I hadn’t considered the Meze 99’s, how are they? And, if they handle bass well, how to they handle gaming? How are they for those edm bois? Again, really appreciate the help, lmao. Still (honestly) at the start of my audio journey/obsession.