Best Concerts You've Ever Been To?

Sorry to be cliche but Floyd… Momentary Lapse of Reason tour… Wembley stadium '87.
Will forever be burned into my brain.
Many good ones before/after.
AC/DC
Motorhead
Michael Schenker
Thin Lizzy
Scorpions
Iron maiden (original lineup)
Saxon
Whitesnake
Rainbow
All the above at the Old Hammersmith Odeon London.
Plus
Zz top
ELO
Eagles
Kiss plus a few I’ve forgotten.
But nothing tops the Floyd.

6 Likes

Check out his/their Claire de Lune and then The Message (from the album very tellingly titled The Epic). The second one is some of the finest drumming since…Carter Beauford in his finest years?

2 Likes

i worked security at DTE for both those tours :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I missed out on Pink Floyd for concerts :frowning: But I do have a few notable concerts.

My favorite so far was Ghost the heavy metal band. Tobias Forge is a showman through and through. I go there and asked my neighbor who was opening and he looked at me odd. That is when I found out that Ghost plays an entire 3 hour set, broken up between 2 acts and an intermission. The dramatic acting interplay between the lead singer, and the mute nameless ghouls is really awesome to see. The band sounds as good live as they do on any record, and they play from pretty much all of their albums.

My close second has to be Slipknot at knotfest this year. They bring an unrivaled energy to the stage and Corey Taylor sounds better than he ever has. If you have never seen a Slipknot concert you are in for an experience, and a sense of camaraderie you won’t find anywhere else. They hit hard, and play the show with ferocity. They sound very good live, but tend to play all their songs a bit faster than recorded. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but different enough to note. If you like Metal this would be a bucket list show, it held up to the hype. Raw emotion and great pyrotechnics further augment the show. *Behemoth, Gojira, and Volbeat were opening.

Lastly is a band I just had to sell my tickets for :confused: Rammstein. Arguably one of the greatest production shows on a grand scale. If you don’t know what its like at their concert just youtube a few live songs. They are insane, and I will hopefully be seeing them later this year even if I couldn’t travel to Cardiff to see them in June. *Have not seen live yet

2 Likes

Oh wow, I had no clue someone had taped this (Circa 1998). I was there man…

Beastie Boys (Oakland Coliseum / Oracle Arena)

4 Likes

Ok, I will only go with the stand out shows I’ve been to. Genesis - Mama tour, Peter Gabriel - So, Rush - 3x, Pink Floyd - also saw the Momentary Lapse tour. Best sound of any show I’ve been to, amazing considering it was a outdoors sports arena. The Kinks - Word of Mouth, Robert Plant - Manic Nirvana, ZZ Top - Eliminator. At a certain point in my life, I got into metal and started going to smaller clubs for shows. These would be the standouts. Carcass - Heartwork, Suicidal Tendencies - Lights, Camera, Revolution, Pantera - 2x once as a opening act when Cowboys From Hell had just come out, Metallica - Justice For All, Slayer - Very special memory because it was a one week long warm up tour for the Seasons in the Abyss shows where they played in clubs. That was the single craziest show I’ve been to. Opeth - Watershed, Sepultura - Chaos AD , Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. That was the last show I went to. I’m honestly getting to old and have health issues that make standing a long time something I am not going to do. There were a lot of others I saw, but am trying to keep this simple.

3 Likes

Went to lollapalooza 3 years in a row. Saw the strokes, black keys, my morning jacket, red hot chili peppers, arcade fire, Arctic monkeys, jack white to name a few. Such good times and amazng music.

1 Like

Might be to many to list… Many years ago I had a girlfriend who worked at Maple leaf gardens in Toronto.
Basically if they came I saw… Floyd, The Stones, Kiss , The Who, Elton, ACDC,ELO, Eagles, ZZtop, Supertramp, Styx, Saga, The Guess who, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac and so on.

2 Likes

jesus I could only imagine the buzz from the second hand smoke working that gig. The people at OzzFest were a sight to behold.

1 Like

Tigran Hamsayan in Gardone [IT] was by far the best concert i’ve ever been.

1 Like

Not been to too many big concerts, as where i live there seldom are any “big” artists visiting (atleast international artists).

The following bands/artists have been the highlights of my concert history :
AC/DC (had to travel out of town for this one)
Herbie Hancock (1 time, at a local jazz festival)
Hiromi Uehara (1 time, at a local jazz festival)
Kaizers Orchestra (seen them 5 times)
Katzenjammer (seen them 2 times)
Low Frequency in Stereo (seen them 3 times)
Susanne Sundfør (2 times)
Frøkedal og familien (3 times
Turobnegro (1 time)
Ring Van Möbius (4 times)
Ola Kvernberg (1 time)
Kåre and the cavemen (1 time, they where also known as Euroboys, guitar player in Turbonegro was involved in this band)

My “biggest” concert has to be AC/DC where i traveled to Stockholm and saw them in “Globen”. That was back in april '96, so i was 20 at the time. I was (and still is) a huge AC/DC fan, and i had a relative that was working in Stockholm at the time, so we both went to the concert. It was great (although my concert going experience at that time was pretty low), and its the only big international band i’ve seen live.

Best concert would probably be a local concert with the band “Kaizers Orchestra”. They had released their first album, and was touring. They had visit my local town (Haugesund) before on the tour but the concert had to be aborted half-way through due to crowd controll issues(!). I went on their second visit and it was packed. Everyone knew the words to their songs hence a lot of sing-along. After they had played through their album songs, they started on “b-sides” and songs they hadn’t released yet, as the audience demanded more each time they tried to go off stage… The audio quality was not the best, but the whole feel/mood of the concert was just soo good.

3 Likes
  1. Rush, R40 Tour opening night Tulsa
    OK 2015
  2. Pink Floyd, The Division Bell Tour
    Kansas City MO 1994
  3. Eagles, Hell Freezes Over Tour
    Bonner Springs KS 1995
4 Likes

rmsanger, I’ve seen a lot of these same artists back in the early 2000’s when I went to concerts and they were all in the big festivals such as the Van’s Warped Tour. My favorites have been the following:

Papa Roach
Staind
Foo Fighters
Linkin Park
POD
Blink 182
AFI
Jimmy Eat World
New Found Glory
Sum 41
Alien Ant Farm
Good Charlotte
Hoobastank
Disturbed
Green Day
Lit
Weezer
No Doubt
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Unwritten Law
Sevendust
Eminem
Simple Plan
The Used
Yellowcard
Underoath
Taking Back Sunday
The All-American Rejects
Plain White Tees
Story of the Year
Fall Out Boy
Deftones
Everclear
Goldfinger
Orgy
Saliva
Ben Folds
Dashboard Confessional
Eve 6
System of a Down

I also have only been to one actual artist concert and it was for Muse feat. Silversun Pickups. Both were absolutely amazing live.

2 Likes

haha, working the state theater(now filmore detroit), was much worse. DTE is outdoor venue, not to bad.

1 Like

Ben Folds was one of my favourite as well. And Deftones are awesome, when did you get to see them?

I don’t usually like live performances, but I saw Nightwish Live recently. It was amazing

3 Likes

trivium :metal:

1 Like

Im not a huge fan of the big outdoor events (Floyd being the major exception).
Hammersmith Odeon was a great venue…a converted cinema that held around 4000 if memory serves but it was getting on a bit even back in the days i attended…i remember being in the balcony and when the place was rocking the whole floor moved up and down…a lot.
As i was studying Structural Engineering at collage at the time i became somewhat nervous when my mates got tickets for downstairs under the balcony!!

It wasnt unusual for i bits of the ornate plaster to fall off during a gig either so when AC/DC rolled out the cannons for “those about to rock” it was a case of …Oh Sh?t !!

Great days…kinda miss them and my ears seem to have survived the ringing left after each concert to.

3 Likes

This was all early 2000’s at either the Van’s Warped Tour or our local radio station’s festival, the X96 Big Ass Show.

1 Like

Sevendust and Deftones both were excellent live each time I’ve seen them.

Edit: Same with Silversun Pickups!

3 Likes