Best Headphones for Metal Music?

No, actually I did like the Sundara. The problem is though, is that it sounds like a slightly improved HE-400i/4XX with better clarity and bass response. It sounded definitely good, but it was just outclassed by the other headphones, which are all significantly more expensive, except for the TH-610 which was $100 more and sounded wayyyyyyyy better. At least based on my preferences…

I did’t get to try the Elear as they didn’t have any available to try. I’ve heard they are the odd ones out, as the other models sound suprising very close to each other. For example I would guess that the Stellia and Utopia are no more that 15-20% objectively “better” sounding. The sound signatures are very, very close. Whether that small difference is worth it is mostly down to how much you’re comfortable spending… I’m neither rich nor poor, but I just couldn’t justify the extra cost.

Damn, I actually just pulled the trigger on the Elegia. I agree, the Elegia was so close to the Clear, that I couldn’t justify spending double to get that tiny improvement. Just not worth it. Be better off spending that money on a better amp or dac…

Very curious about the Elex and Elear though. Heard very polarising opinions on both. But still, I don’t think I’ll be disappointed with the Elegia. Can always sell off all my headphones when I find “the one”. If that even exists… So many headphones out there to try.

Also, as an Australian, the brutal exchange rate makes Massdrop stuff not such good value for me. the 500 USD Elex ends up being 1200 AUD shipped…

I think why some people say the elegia is bass light, or boring is because they are not used to a signature that is as neutral as the elegia. Nothing is really emphasize or missing, unlike the elex. I think that’s why people prefer the elex over the elegia and the clear. Also what was your opinion on the sound isolation for the elegia? I thought it was excellent for having a vent on the side

For anyone else interested, prices on the Elegia are surprisingly good for such a new model. Not the case at all with the Focal Clear (still $1500 on Amazon).

You can save $180 (so $720 new) if your a prime member on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Focal-Audiophile-Circum-Aural-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B07J5MDMTQ

I’d consider it if I didn’t already completely exceed my yearly audio budget.

Also if I had to rate the focal line up, it would be Stellia > Utopia > Clear > Elegia > Elex > > Elear

Edit: pretty outdated, currently imo it would actually be Utopia > Clear > Stellia > Elegia = Elex > Elear

1 Like

Yeah, I found the Elegia to be fairly neutral overall. But those mids… It just sounded so dynamic and aggressive and punchy. It pretty much did everything how I like. If only it had Fostex level bass… It would be perfection. I found the sound isolation to be excellent, it’s definitely a closed headphone. You could use it public easily, I think.

Yeah I use them in an office, and they work great. But know that the cable is absolute shite. It’s janky, stiff, almost too short, loud (microphonic), and ass in general. I would highly suggest getting a different cable, and save yourself the pain of using it. Worse then some fostex cables

Yeah I’ve heard the cable is awful. Got any suggestions for a replacement?

I personally have this cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPOCC-Focal-Elegia-Elex-Elear-Clear-Stellia-HiBy-Sony-Balanced-4-4mm-Cable-1-25M/113752718022?hash=item1a7c30bac6:g:--wAAOSwtANc3q3l

I like it alot, since I use mine portable and it’s supple enough to bend and rest flat, and is less microphonic then the stock. It also doesn’t tangle as often. You can pretty much use any 3.5mm mono jack cable with these

Sharing here. \m/

3 Likes

Abyss 1266 is the best… I’ve heard so far

1 Like

Good to know but a tat bit out if my price range XD

Hahaha yeah me too… yet still… somehow I have one? Crazy hobby

1 Like

Yeah know the feeling did get a VC this zmf sale :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My ears really like the VC with BE2 pads for Metal.

2 Likes

Good to hear. I need to try the VO/VC sometime… I had the Atticus and I liked it overall but it was lacking in technical ability though

Did you ever try to Lawton mod your 610s? I just threw some ZMF Ori pads on my 900s and man they smoothed out the treble spike a lot

How does one head bang to metal with an Abyss 1266 on their head? lol

4 Likes

Out of curiosity I recreated your playlist in Amazon Music HD to try on my Bifrost 2/64+Burson Soloist 3XP+Hifiman Arya SE setup. 5 tracks in thus far, with mixed results, lol. Not bad though.

1 Like