Best open backs <1k FOR BASS

I never heard the Elex.

The Clears are incredible, just not for bass. I dont even hear the slam everyone talks about, but i am a basshead so my definition of slam comes from Foster drivers.

thats mainly it, most people have a different interpretation of slam. I think of it like a door slamming like the snare drums, and not what low notes on a bass guitar, or bass drum etc. sound/rumble like. Clears have the slam but not much sub, foster drives tend to have more sub but not as prominent as its sub response is, still awesome though.

there is also kind of a difference in how dynamics and planars handle slam of the same type too. i prefer planar slam but dynamic slam of something like a 177x hits so much harder.

1 Like

very true. ime dynamic drivers like the nighthawks,th900,Eikon, and Verite Closed had very nice organic slam…for planars lcd2pf , editon xv2 , lcd24 somewhat kept that organic slam, but the he6,diana phi,dian v2, d8kpro, had a bit more visceral slam.

god i want to try a d8kpro…so badly

1 Like
1 Like

My Klipsch hp3 hit hard and go low followed by og clears then lcdx

2 Likes

I always feel surprised when i read that the Clear hits harder than the LCD-X, then i remember most people are against EQ.

If you EQ the Clears you get a small improvement, if you EQ the LCD-X you get a bass monster.

For me, since i EQ all my cans it is super hard to choose based on reviews, i never know how a set will responde to EQ until i try myself, some shine and some are meh…

I don’t think it’s that people are against eq. I myself know if I start down that rabbit hole I’m doooooooomed lol.
Isn’t crazy how well the audeze’s take eq!!! I’ve never had a set the just can take everything a person throws at it like they can.

1 Like

I was surprised at the amount of bass out of the Elex’s. More than I expected.

Also, my Drop Edition XX’s have very good bass.

1 Like

My two recommendations for quality bass are HE6se and Clear like suggested above. But the RNHP definitely won’t cut it for the HE6se; I just had a listen to confirm.

I use the Soloist 3X for my pair. But that’s way over budget of course. If you want, I can try it out on the Asgard 3 later.

2 Likes

Dont worry, im not going he6 soon because ill upgrade my dac first, altough it would be cool to know if a3 can run it, i dont think so.

My current pick is looking like elex but im really really worried about qc issues because i dont have drop in my country.

@DboyMac do you consider yourself a basshead? Why are you looking for an openback for bass, do you already own good closed backs for that purpose?

Not a basshead but I like to have a variety of sound signatures in my collection, and bassy open back is the one I feel I lack the most.

I do have a bassy closed back in ath-wp900 but my preference is definitely open backs.

1 Like

Gotcha, if you are not a basshead the Elex or Clear may do the trick for you with some EQ, but i would certainly not call them bassy openbacks.

Heck i don’t know if i ever heard a bassy open back, just some which respond well to EQ and then turn into bassy.

Does the Harmonicdyne Zeus fit into this conversation?

1 Like

The Elex would be a big step up in overall sound from the WP900’s. The WP900’s have lots of bass and treble, but really lack in the mids.
The Elex has been described as “W-shaped” as they have strong treble, mids and bass. The full package.

1 Like

Does it? Along with the nighthawks it seems like the other popular bass shelved open back.

Yeah for my current gear my next choice is either elex or clear, im worried of the elex qc issues, but they are so much cheaper than clears.

1 Like

the elex might not be as detailed as the clear but i definitely like the tuning a lot more. not quite the same stage as the clear either but still good.