Best Single Ended THX amp right now?

i believe the 789 has 200mw more than the monoprice one so there is that. cant really demo any THX amp due to just the lack of community around where im at so any thoughts and experiences shared would really mean a lot! Thanks in advance, and stay safe in days like these!

1 Like

If you wanted single ended performance that would be the sp200, but personally I would advise against getting a thx amp imo

5 Likes

Yeah I kinda agree. I’m gonna be selling my thx portable. Really just doesn’t wow me in anyway.

The SP200 is a strong, clean amp. It won’t wow you, but you do respect it.
I really enjoy it with my Fostex’s, it really sharpens them up.
I also enjoy it with the Elex’s playing nice, clean jazz. That combo Really picks up any noise or garbage. Super fussy.

2 Likes

What headphones do you plan to use with the amp @Tommy ?

That would be a VERY important fact to be included. I do not like my Grado’s, Senns or Beyer’s with the SP200.

Yeah pairing is pretty important tbh, it’s good to get something that would match

Does good single ended performance disappear with higher end gear like 500+ ish?

Nah, some top tier designs are single ended only. I’m just of the mindset of if you buy a balanced amp, use it balanced, and if not, no cause for concern. I have both excellent amps that are single ended and others that are balanced. Typically the single ended of a balanced amp is an afterthought or has less care put into it, so for that component balanced will yield better performance

2 Likes

Personally I would not get THX. It is extremely overhyped and really there are better amps like the Schiit Magni Heresy for less money if you want a more dry clinical sound, while retaining some musicality, unlike the THX which isn’t really musical.

1 Like

That is pretty much the case with all Cavalli balanced amps.

1 Like

Yeah the single ended out on my Liquid Gold is very meh, balanced is great

1 Like

Same with the LCX.

2 Likes

Is that a new one or an old one?

1 Like

That’s an older one, the cavalli liquid gold, one of his best designs imo

1 Like

I have heard great things about the old stuff.

1 Like

Can say the unofficial THX amp I would give to the Schiit Heresy. A/Bing them it’s hard to tell my 887 from my Heresy. The THX on low gain does handle IEM’s better I feel but not $300 premium better.

2 Likes

So, what’s the stance on Heresy vs. Atom? Is Heresy the way to go now for a more accurate sound?

1 Like

I just wanted to mention the Violectric V200-A .
No THX but super clean german studio equipment.
2700mw @50 ohm

3 Likes

From what I hear I think so, the Heresy is going for a little more of a transparent analytical sound, and the Atom is close but slightly more colored maybe. M0N or somebody else would know more here lol sorry.

1 Like